7 weeks on fluoxetine Sure need some help.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I've been on citalopram 40 mg. I tried lowering and it messed me up. I was upped to 60 mg citalopram to even me out so they could lower me back down. But a manufacturer change in medicine messed that up. Was switched over to fluoxetine Dec 8th 60 mg. by a cross taper. The 60 was about to drive me nuts so my psychologist lowered it to 40 mg on Jan 2nd. (So seven weeks tomorrow on 40.) At nearly 4 weeks I started feeling better for almost two weeks and thought my good days were here. But last week on Jan 15th I went backwards and not feeling real well with side effects tight chest, heart burn, spaced out, ears ringing, and anxiety a.m. and depression noon to afternoon. Today (nearly 1weeks into this set back) has been the worst so far I broke down this afternoon after work and haven't been able to settle down too much yet just crying uncontrollable. My poor wife just wanna be well and strong for her and my kids. Is this part of the adjustment phase I mean is it normal for the medicine? People have said it is but I just need some reassurance. Does this get better?

1 like, 204 replies

204 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Also other side effects that are going on are the ever present upset stomach, diarrhea, some dizziness. Big lack of appetite. Is a weeks time set back normal? Just so.....I dont know!
  • Posted

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. I'm afraid I'm in the same situation; on for 12 weeks at 40 and no better; crying all the time...spacey, agitated, anxious. Hang in there though...I know there are some who could offer the best advice.

• Posted

Thanks Kim. Sorry your going through it also. Any advice or help of encouragement is sure appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi Danny...I would say just to check back with your doctor. I know that I've been steadily encouraged by members on this site...one lady has been so supportive; katcogs...can't remember the rest of her screen name...She could tell you lots of information...just hang in there. I know how hard it is...I'm thinking it's not for me b/c it's been twelve weeks and I'm worse...I'll see if I can give kate a msg to see if she can help you out.

• Posted

Ah ..... have just posted here and then I saw your post Kim confused x

• Posted

Geesh, I read so many of these negative stories and only have my own experiences that were very negative too, so I stopped after a month of taking it. I was SO depressed for a couple of weeks after I stopped. The side effects were worse than my reason for taking the meds. 
  • Posted

40mg is the maximum dose on Citalopram - 60mg was over the limit.  I'm not surprised you felt unwell.  Some people also struggle on the 40mg dose - a larger dose doesn't suit a lot of people and doesn't mean that you'll recover any quicker on that either.

These type of meds often take a long time to work - months, not weeks.  Progress is not obvious either for a long time, so lots of patience and perseverance is needed.

Many people chase recovery and hop from dose to dose and medication to medication.  This just confuses the body and makes you feel ill.  

Yes it does get better - but you really need to just settle on one medication and one dose for many months.  It is a rough ride for many, but it does ease as time goes by.  All the side effects are usually the result of anxiety, and the anxiety is increase initially when taking these type of meds.

I'll message you.

K

• Posted

I can't private message you for some reason Danny - there's no option on your page to do so.

• Posted

Hey Kate. Thanks. It's just so hard getting on to work and starting the day again. Will this downward turn last a long time or will it began to pick up? It's just hard going from feeling better to this again. It makes me think has the medicine quit? Just want to be well again. My gosh I'm blessed but just can't be happy. Am I still considered early on the medicine. Will I feel like this for months before I feel better?

• Posted

Mornings are always the hardest part of the day.  Realisation that another day has to be faced plus waking from fully relaxed just sets the body off again.

During recovery you'll be up and down - you rarely just get better.  Its always 3 steps forward / 2 steps back all the way, with it easing.  The backward steps always feel like you're back at the begining - they're called setbacks or blips and seem to be an inevitable part of recovery.

No the medicine hasn't quit - as said, its just how recovey works with the blips.

You will be well again.  It can take many months, but it isn't bad all the way as it eases gradually.  The blips are annoying, but pass through them and onwards all the time.

I'll message you.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. That gives me encouragement. This set back is 7 days in the making. Sure makes a rough go. Hearing from you that have been through it is good testimony to hear from. Just have to keep on. I think back to my good days before the blip and I guess that's gotta be some signs that it will eventually get better and better doesn't it? Sure ready for them.

• Posted

Yes these blips will come and go - some lasting longer than others, some stronger too.  Seems no rhyme or reason.  Letting them be there, relaxing towards them really helps - as a blip arrives instead of saying 'oh no, here we go again' try thinking instead 'its another time to practice letting go and passing through'.  

Yes if you're having blips and good days too then things are definitely working.

Don't fight the blip.  Let them come, let them do their worst and then let them disappear.

They'll stop coming eventually.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate. Still feeling rough. The evenings seem to be a little better but do these blips typically or can they last longer than a week? I'm into my 8th week on 40mg but haven't completed it yet.

• Posted

Hearing you say your evening seem a little better ...... that's often how recovery starts.  It creeps up on your so slowly - often beginning with feeling a little better in the evenings.  Also having some good days a few weeks ago is also a sign that the meds are working.  The blips will come and go and they can last more than a week sometimes yes - I think it also depends on your attitude towards them.  Fight them, tense up against them, worry about them and they'll cling longer - but accept them, go with the flow, relax towards them and it helps to shorten them.

K x

• Posted

Hey Kate. I sure thank you for all your help. Hey I dropped from 60 mg of fluoxetine to 40 mg of fluoxetine on Jan 2, 2017. I had previously been on 60mg of citalopram for 4 months and 60mg for two weeks of the fluox after the switch. I'm looking at the weeks since the drop (7 1/2) now. But would I have to allow for the 20 mg from the initial 60 to clear my system before I could track the the time for recovery? Or does it matter? And if so how many weeks for the fluox to clear my system?

• Posted

Mmmmmm ...... no I don't think so.  The meds are in your system and working and just stabilising at a lower dose over the last 7.5 wks.  You should track your time from when you first started them I think.

• Posted

Well that's what I was wondering. Started out on 60 mg of fluox Dec 22nd. And was on 60 mg cit. the 4 months before that. So since it takes a while for fluoxetine to leave the system I was wondering if I have to give my system time to adjust to the drop.

• Posted

Any increase, decrease or switch over to different meds needs to settle first - so yes you have to give your body time to adjust.  I imagine you've settled though now.

• Posted

Ok thanks Kate. Was just wondering if I was not giving the med enough time and I don't think I am. So now that the med has settled. Is it now just letting my system adjust? 8 weeks this up coming Tuesday. So ready to feel back normal. I think I feel better than I did a few weeks ago. Does it happen just that slow and gradual? Can I expect better results as the weeks come?

• Posted

It does happen gradually - really, really slowly.  You often start to feel slightly better but still anxious, and this gradually increases over weeks / months.  You will probably have blips where you'll feel like you're back at the beginning many times - its normal.  Just keep going as it'll pass.

Don't try and hurry it - let recovery come to you.  It you chase it you'll probably end up feeling frustrated and anxious.  Just relax, take the tension out of your body and let it happen.  It can be months - but there's nothing you can do to make it happen any quicker.

Sounds like it might be starting smile

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I hope it is I mean it's better than what it was before the switch just anything out of the norm is rough. People say mild this or mild that I think I take them all the same.

• Posted

It does start like that.  When you look back you'll start noticing its better than before, but not gone, and that you'll still get blips / setbacks.  But as more time passes it gets better and you'll probably start getting periods of feeling really well.  That all builds up as even more time passes.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Felt better this morning. But not totally relaxed laid back. Some energy in me that keeps me antsy and short at times.
    • Posted

Feeling low in the afternoons
    • Posted

I used to feel low in the mornings and by the evening it used to lift a little.  Slowly this began to feel even better in the evenings and that slowly crept into the afternoon, then midday, mid mornings and finally I began waking with no anxiety.  All that took 6 months and I also had blips mixed with this too.  We all feel recovery happening in different ways, but being up and down as you were even in one day is quite normal.  Shows things are starting to happen.

K x

• Posted

Hey Kate it's me again Danny. I was feeling better for about a month or better and then have went back down is this still part of it. I'm on 40 mg. Will I level back out again?

• Posted

Yes that's part of it.  You can feel ok-ish for a while and suddenly feel low again.  It'll come back, and often its better each time you get the good feelings.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Makes me feel better. It's crazy how the confidence and mind set changes so quickly. I'm in that state of thinking have the meds quit? Will I recover from this? I am about 12 weeks maybe 13 weeks at 40 mg. Is this spot on and par for the course? I had a small change at work and changes and I don't go well. Will this blip pass?

• Posted

Oh yes indeed ..... it can change from one day to the next, and even from hour to hour.  I remember it well.  As soon as the anxiety strikes it brings back all its side effects of negative thinking, racing mind, doom and gloom.  As you get better the good days start to outweigh the bad, and having a good month feeling good followed by a blip is normal - even at this stage.  Remember its just anxiety playing its tricks - this is nothing but a blip and it'll pass.

Yes any change can upset the routine ...... and they'll even come without any provocation.  Don't avoid changes etc though, just accept this may happen from time to time at this stage.

Try and accept this is a blip and its part of recovery.  It will go.  I had blips all the way through my recovery which lasted 6 months, and even after I'd recovered I'd get the occasional time when things weren't right, and guessed it was a watered down blip.  They eventually ceased.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Feel a little better today this afternoon. It's been three days hopefully it doesn't last much longer. Still not comfortable but i feel better.

• Posted

Sounds like its lifting again.  I know its horrible when blips happen, but its best to try and just let them come and go, let them do their worst, don't worry about them and above all don't try and get rid of them ..... that'll just make them cling harder.

Glad its feeling a bit easier for you.  As each blip passes it'll get easier as they get less intense.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I hope it is lifting. It seems like when this happens I always begin worrying if the medicine has quit working. It hasn't has it? This blip has been 5 days now. Hopefully it subsides soon.

• Posted

I guess I mean do all medicines do this? I guess they do cause I can vaguely remember citalopram doing this as well. Is it just the longer your on it the less the blips occur?
    • Posted

No, the medicine doesn't stop working.  I took it for 16 years and it never stopped.  Sometimes people do report that after years they feel anxiety coming back - and if they look to their lifestyle they'll often find that something stressful has caused a blip to return ...... and again if they wait it will ease off.

Yes all SSRI's give you similar side effects and they work pretty much the same way - just some suit others more.  Yes this is quite typical how all meds work - these blips will come and go, some lasting longer than others, and yes they do get less intense the more into the meds you get.  It took me 6 months to recover and by that time the blips were less frequent and didn't bother me so much, but I say it took this time because thats when I started waking up with no anxiety.  From 6 months onwards I continued to improve even more.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Its so crazy how the doubt and wonder comes in when it does level out you think to yourself what was I worried about. Thanks for the support.
    • Posted

I know I always said that too.  Its just anxiety playing its tricks on you though.
    • Posted

I've really got some insomnia with this. Guess it's part of it.

• Posted

Hey Kate. Yeah the mornings are rough. But not as rough as they were initially. Then in the afternoon as I feel just flat and by evening feeling pretty good . I guess again this is typical isn't it?

• Posted

Yes insomnia is usually a side effect of the meds - it does settle, though know how annoying it is.  Some doctors do prescribe meds to help with this ... always worth asking if it becomes a problem.

Yep my mornings were always the worst.  Well, sounds like you've noticed a tiny change already if you can see your mornings aren't as bad ..... it all counts, even if its only a slight improvement.

That also happened to me.  Bad mornings, ok-ish afternoons and great evenings.  That's how the meds worked for me.  The great evenings slowly crept into 'great' afternoons, and then mid morning too.  Still had bad mornings but the good started earlier and earlier ..... then one day I woke with no anxiety.  All this took 6 months.

Those good evenings will grow.

K x

• Posted

Hey Kate. Felt better Thursday thru Saturday. Then Sunday not real well since. I know it's probably typical just so frustrating. Will this even out? At 15 weeks now. Not as bad as I was initially but still just off. Should more time to feel good be expected?

• Posted

I feel your frustration sad ..... I remember that so well.  Feeling good then to be hit with it all over again.  Yes, still quite normal for 15 weeks.  I had this during all through the 6 months I was recovering, and after that I'd still get the odd one pop up occasonally.  By the time I was better though the blips were less intense and became nothing more than just a nuisance.

Yes more time I expect.  It will even out.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. It is frustrating. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever level off and feel confident in feeling good. Evenings aren't as bad again. Just weird that I had a pretty good month then about eight rough days then 3 decent and then down again. So ready.

• Posted

Its a shame these meds don't just make us gradually better over time without all the 'to-ing and fro-ing'.  Very frustrating indeed.  I'm not surprised people stop meds too early because they often think they're not getting better.

Evenings were my highlight too.

You're getting calm times - so that's really good.  It will get better.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. So it's normal at 15-16 weeks to have downs. Lol. I keep telling myself that. Your testimonies are an encouragement. This blip doesn't feel as bad as the initial start or the initial blips but still very worrisome. Do these blips get less and less? At 4 months did they start lessening for you?

• Posted

Even I get downs now after 8 months. My Doctor told me that these pills are not suppose to flat line us and make us feel nothing. We are still human and will have off days and to just go with it. Personally I would rather have some off days then expect and feel like the world is rosey every day. I do not want to be emotionless nor do I expect to be. That being said if the down days start over riding the good days at a long term then it is time to see the doctor again .
    • Posted

Yes they do get less intense and you'll be able to pay them no attention eventually ..... until they finally stop.  You can however get a worse one occasionally crop up, but I doubt it.

Yes I started getting calm moments at around 3 months and by 6 months that was when those calm evenings had eventually spread into my day and I'd began waking without any anxiety.  I did have the occasional blip after then but by then they weren't a problem.

• Posted

Yes Danny - Lookingonwards is right.  

You return to a 'normal' level like anyone else.  Everyone gets flat occasionally, but when we're ill we overfeel it along with anxiety, and because we're anxious our minds become anxious too.  When you're back to normal you'll feel highs and lows, joy and sadness just as the next person ... BUT it won't be that awful frightening feeling.  Any scary thoughts are put to the back of the mind too and aren't a problem - because they're not accompanied by anxiety.

One of the best things I learnt after recovering was to relax whilst moving about my every day ..... because I know its stress that upsets my body rhythm (which is the main cause for a lot of people for anxiety) so I just let things pass over.  

• Posted

Yeah that's the realm of thinking I was trying to describe: the highs and lows without the anxiety. When I was well I would have times I was flat but that was ok. That's normal. Just looking forward to the times when anxiety isn't wreaking havoc. Thanks again. Hard being patient when not feeling good. Just so ready.

• Posted

Yes ..... its just the prescence of anxiety that changes our everything.  Without it we'd think and feel differently and cope with normal highs and lows.

K x

• Posted

Hey Kate. This morning I feel like I'm almost back at square one. Anxiety up a good bit. Just wanna go home. Is this still typical at 16 weeks. Just worried it won't level out.

• Posted

The anxiety will come and go in waves.  Its such a pain I know.

My son took these meds too some years ago when he had a melt down and it took him 9 months to recover.  I remember him being up and down for months with the anxiety too.  His first 4 months he couldn't work and was signed off.  He's fully recovered now and back to normal.

So yes, 16 weeks is normal for many, as everyone recovers at different rates (some quicker than others), and whilst waiting the anxiety will be up and down.

If you're getting good spells / calm times (whether they only last an hour or 2 or days) then the meds are definitely working - this is the typical process of recovery and its just a waiting game.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Does he still take the meds? I just was thinking I had turned the corner there for 4 weeks and then the rug was yanked out from under my feet. I guess this blip is about 15 days in all. Do they typically last that long?
    • Posted

No he came off them last year and is still well.  Yes it will feel exactly like that - as if you're back at the beginning again.  This will happen time after time, but you just need to stay relaxed, carry on, and the anxiety will lift again.  As time passes the blips will get less intense and finally disappear.

Yes blips can last any length of time.  Best thing is to not fight it as that just makes you more tense which then produces more anxiety.  Accepting this is a blip, stop adding more anxiety on top by fearful thoughts, relax .... all as best as you can and it'll pass.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I hope and praying it passes. I can't stand the thought of it sticking around. Just wanna get better. Thanks for all your support. Really means a lot to hear from someone that's been through it. Today's been the worst so far. Hope to start coming up

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I hope and praying it passes. I can't stand the thought of it sticking around. Just wanna get better. Thanks for all your support. Really means a lot to hear from someone that's been through it. Today's been the worst so far. Hope to start coming up

• Posted

I felt the same - every day I woke I couldn't bear another day having to endure the pain of anxiety and wanted it to go in an instant.  The years I spent ill I had many dark times and never thought I'd be free of it.  I didn't realise I was recovering - I thought it was just another pill I was given and surely it couldn't make me better?  So, was surprised when things started happening ...... and though it took 6 months I think that's relatively short compared to how long I'd been ill.

Those highs and lows will come, but just try and ride through the lows.  They'll get easier and will eventually stop.

K x

• Posted

Hi Danny, I know, if feels so discouraging when the blips come! I always start fearing it will go back to the same as at the beginning of the meds and recovery will never come. I am 8 weeks now, and I had a bad blip yesterday again; today I feel like I want to do something to help myself out of the blip - talk to the anxiety and tell it I know it is just temporary and it will pass, also thinking to go for a short run and maybe give myself some small targets with some little tasks I have been postponing due to depression...it feels really hard though. Kate is right - even if 2 or 4 months on the meds seem like a long time to us in recovery, it is still a little time compared to being ill for long periods of our life, and we are taking steps to recover now, and maybe need to be more patient with ourselves. It is not a straight curve up with the recovery. I hope today and weekend will be a little better for us!!!

Lx

• Posted

Thanks Lucy. I pray and hope this weekend is better for the both of us as well. I'm sure ready. I pray and hope it's the start of healing.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. This blip came after a change at work. Will it still eventually level out? I guess I worry too much. Which is easy to do when I'm not feeling well. my evenings are better. But I get some blurry vision in the evenings as well. Is this all common?

• Posted

Ah ..... yes blips notoriously happen if something has happened which upsets our rhythm, even if you don't feel it at the time.  Yes it should level out again.  Its only natural to worry - your body is anxious, so it stands to reason your thinking will be anxious too.

Glad the evenings are better ..... they will improve over time too.  Blurry vision is a side effect of the medicine - it could also be stress, tired or even TV, computer, phone, work ....... all leading to tiredness?  Always best to get it checked out.  But yes, I've heard others say they've had blurry vision.

K x

• Posted

I get blurry vision every day too, and it gets worse in the evening, always comes with a head pressure and sort of a head fog. Very annoying. I had to stop cycling because of it. sad I think it is a common side effect.
    • Posted

Thanks Kate. Was it fluox that you were on also? Sure appreciate your encouragement. I've cut all caffeine, sugars etc out and trying to eat right. Hoping this helps.

• Posted

Hi Danny

No I was on Citalopram ...... my son was on Fluoxetine (a right pair) wink ... but they're pretty much similar with the same side effects and withdrawal etc.  Both SSRI's but just a different type.

Yes eating healthily really helps - so does exercise, as it helps burn any excess adrenaline and also releases endorphins, making you feel good.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I was on citalopram also for 6 years. Can't really remember how long it took sure wish I could. I do remember that it did take some time but can't remember how long. Did well on the citalopram. I just hope and pray that this fluoxetine picks up and does as well also. My evening yesterday was much better. Just wanna be able to function again. After the month of feeling better had 8 days of down and anxiety then three days ok and now 8 days down again. It's weird I don't remember the cycle of citalopram when beginning it but sure hope the chances of this picking up are good.

• Posted

Why were you put onto Fluoxetine if Citalopram had worked before?  I've been on it twice and both times I had a different experience starting up ..... the second time it took much longer.

Yes that does sound typical of these meds - up and down.  I also had good evenings but really bad mornings.

Sometimes life events can also upset our rhythm when we're recovering - could be anything from a birthday party to moving house rolleyes   These often result in down days.

No I don't remember exactly my first time starting up on meds - not in detail anyway.  I remember the timescale, being up and down, good evenings / bad mornings - and didn't even know I was recovering.  It was back in 1997/8 anyway.

K

• Posted

Oh I was on 20 mg. of citalopram and did fine. Had a traumatic injury in summer 2014. Five surgeries dosage of citalopram varied over next couple of years. I tried to cone down myself and it messed me up then last year was switched over to name brand Celexa for 4 weeks at 60 mg. Didn't settle. So they divided that the cit or celexa wasn't working with me anymore switched over in Dec of this past year and here I am. Was on 60 mg of fluox as well. But it had amped up pretty bad so was reduced to 40 mg. About 16 weeks ago. Have had those good weeks but today has been awful. Just crying and feel helpless.

• Posted

When I was reduced to 40 mg (16 weeks ago) I gave two weeks for the 20 mg to get out of my system and then started counting weeks for adjustment. So 14 weeks and some days after the two weeks allowance for the 20 mg to leave my system. Just afraid I won't ever feel better again. Afraid my mind or brain won't ever get back to normal. Today has been the worst in weeks. Yesterday evening wasn't too bad at all. But today this morning. Just awful

• Posted

Hey Kate. Yesterday and today were pretty bad days. Do these blip days get worse before getting better?
    • Posted

Thanks lookingonwards. I'm praying it settles. It's not as bad as when I started up on them. Just a constant feeling of lesser anxiety than before which I guess is good. But I suppose more time is needed. Just wanna feel well again and when I'm down it seems like the worst is here. I remember you saying you switched from citalopram to fluoxetine as well. Did it take a while for you to start settling and are you better now?

• Posted

Sure looking forward to the day that I can post on here to encourage someone.
    • Posted

Hi Danny

Gosh you have been through the mill, haven't you!!  Having an injury and surgery and then having your meds changed is a lot to cope with.  Must have been very hard for you sad

Mmmm they can do ..... though the general trend of blips to decline, they don't always get weaker with each one.  Sometimes there could be a bad one crop up in amongst a fairly manageable one.  They're as unpredictable as side effects and recovery ..... everyone being different.

• Posted

Yes to say the least. I'm sure wanting to feel well again. I know I'm blessed to have survived the fall that I took. Surgeons and drs. said I just landed right. But this is overwhelming. Feels like and I'm afraid - is this the best it's gonna get? I know those are thoughts and worries. But this is the realm of thinking when I feel this way. I go to the dr tomorrow.

• Posted

Hey Kate. I look back and just switched over medicines around four months ago. I guess I'm wishful thinking about getting well sooner than this but is the transition from one medicine to another always hard? And could the old med citalopram still be having an affect on me?

• Posted

Oh and can these blips last a month?
    • Posted

So did you switch straight from one to another meds with no withdrawl from Citalopram?  I switched over from 1 meds to Citalopram years and years ago and really can't remember how it went - think I did a straight switch.  I'm sure if I'd had an adverse reaction I'd have remembered it too, so I'm guessing I didn't.  I've never switched from Cit to Flu though.  We are all so different.

4 months is early for many people too though - its just so hard to tell until you've given the meds a long time, and if in that time you've had no good spells (whether that's an hour, an evening, a day etc) then that's how I'd gauge progress.  If you've had good spells then the meds must be working and settling still.

Blips can last any length - a day, week, a month.

K x

• Posted

Yeah they cross tapered me over a months time. Was on 60 mg of cit for about 4 months from July of2016 to Nov 2016. Then I was put on the fluoxetine worked up to 60 mg then back down to 40mg. Have been on the 40 mg since Jan 12th. I've had the better times like I said a good 9 to 10 weeks after starting were rough. Then for almost 5 weeks a lot better. Then followed by 8 days rough but maybe not as bad but not good. Then 3 days of better and now I'm on 8 days of rough again. I don't know what to think about it. Today I had to take a clonozapam. I have a drs appt tomorrow with my psychiatrist. So just don't wanna have to up them. Hoping I improve but sure makes enduring tough.

• Posted

Oops was on citalopram since 2010. At 40 then 20mg and was doing fine till the accident. Is it possible to go back to citalopram after I've been off of it for a while?

• Posted

I know all being different is what stinks. Too bad their not like aspirin or Tylenol where one works most everyone.
    • Posted

In the UK the maximum dose on Citalopram is 40mg - you can't take 60mg here.  How did you feel taking that dose?  Some people even struggle taking 40mg.

You do seem to have had a some good long periods of feeling well on Fluoxetine so I imagine its waiting again for this latest blip to pass.   

I'm sure you can go back to any meds - something to discuss with your doctor though.  Maybe give the Flu longer though - they do take a long while.

• Posted

I know ..... shame they're not as quick too.  These meds are so annoying too.

• Posted

Hey Kate. I'm on the 60 mg of citalopram I think it was too high I would sleep but I also felt hyperactive. Actually did OK on the 20 mg before the accident. I went to the doctor today. My psychiatrist she was a feel in for my regular that's on leave. She wants me to lower the dosage to 20 mg of flux at 10 she wants to try that she thinks that the 40 may be too high. And also gave me something to help me sleep. I guess I'll try it.

• Posted

Oops. Meant to say when I was on 60 mg of citalopram. Not I'm on

• Posted

And I don't know why there's a 10 in there either. Scratch the 10. She thinks the 40 may be too high so she wants me to move to 20. Hope I don't endure withdrawal.

• Posted

One of those days with numbers everywhere eh? biggrin

I recovered on 20mg Citalopram and always think why take more than you need anyway.  When I recovered I stayed on that dose for a few years and then lowered to 10mg which I stayed on for many years.

If you were on 20mg before the accident, it often takes something stressful or traumatic to tip the balance a bit which makes people start to feel unwell again.  You body had one huge shock so its not surprising it would react the way it did and suspect it probably would have righted itself eventually.  During that time when your body wasn't in great physical shape it probably wasn't the best time to start playing with the meds and especially upping to 60mg ..... that's 3 x the dose you were on ..... but that's all said in hindsight now.

It may well be the 40mg Fluox is too much for you - its always trial and error getting the meds correct and then the dose too.  Can you come down slowly to the desired dose - 35, 30, 25 then 20???  Just in case?  Might be kinder to your system than just halving?

K x

• Posted

That's what I asked her and she said the 20mg dose drop should be fine. I know better but what do I do? Pharmacist said the same.

• Posted

And I thought the same thing about the moving up on dosage during the accident. A lot of it was pain pill withdrawal not to mention the anesthetics but I was nieve about a lot of it then. Had never experienced opiate meds before.
    • Posted

Well ..... doctors mean well and are well qualified ..... but they're not the ones taking the meds so don't know how they feel.  You could try taking 1 at 20mg  and see how you feel maybe ........ if you feel unsure though, insist on reducing slowly.  Its your body.

• Posted

Yeah I will. Kate is it possible what they say about a dose being too high and causing hieghtend anxiety and spacey feeling, Naseuia, etc.? the side effects I guess is what I'm trying to say

• Posted

I was expecting them to say go up on it I guess.
    • Posted

Yes definitely.  Some people have posted on here that they've felt better when they've reduced their dose.  A high dose doesn't mean you'll get better quicker either - its about what dose suits you comfortably.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. What is a good taper down schedule? Was reluctant to lower took the same dosage last night. My psychiatrist is out on leave and a practitioner filled in for her. Just nervous about it. Sure she is very good and knowledgeable. Just nervous.
    • Posted

Will I have to wait months again before leveling off?
    • Posted

I may just be getting impatient. I don't know. I'm 16 weeks and 3 days. These last few days have been the worst yet when I thought 5 to 6 days ago were the worst. Just wanna recover from it. Do you think moving down would be optimal at this point? On the citalopram I settled at 40 then at 20 even at 60 before it messed up. I don't know. When I get to thinking about it I just go in circles.

• Posted

Oh and how much does lack of sleep play in anxiety? She did prescribe me trazadone for sleep. 50 mg. Said there was no addiction problems with it.
    • Posted

Well when I came off Citalopram I tapered down by 5mg each time and stayed on each lowered dose about 1-2 months before further reducing.  Fluoxetine I believe is different as know the max dose is much higher than the Cit max dose, so you could ask your doctor if you could do it by 10mg maybe.  Do check with her though as its always best to follow proper medical advice wink

Its always trial and error getting the right meds and then the right dose to suit you, as sadly there isn't a 'one pill / dose fixes everyone'.  When I first started meds back in the 90's my first was Seroxat which was great, but it gave me anger issues (was like PMT on a grand scale), so was changed to another meds (forget the name now) and loved that one but it was eventually withdrawn from sale and I was put onto Citalopram.  So though all the meds worked for me, it was 3rd time lucky I found one that agreed with me symptom wise.  I've taken Citalopram twice too - after coming off it some years ago I had to return to it as stress / family illness affected me.  I'm since off it again.

Whatever dose you move to there'll be some settling in I'm sure but I don't expect it'll be months.

Oh yes - sleep certainly affects me.  If I don't get enough sleep I can start to feel low and know that if I don't rest and get to bed earlier it'll get worse.

I've never taken trazadone, but know a lot of people do have other meds to help with sleep etc.  My son did - he took Fluoxetine and Mirtazapine.

K x

• Posted

Hey Kate. Just wanted to post an update. On may 2nd to present started feeling better with a day feeling down. today the 17th in the afternoon started feeling anxious and emotional but hoping tomorrow will be better. I know I need to exercise as well. But just hoping this is a sign of it beginning to get better. I'm at 18 weeks now.

• Posted

Hi Danny

Hey that's good!!  Yes definitely sounds like its the beginning of things to come.  I suspect you're starting in a blip ..... they will happen, and just treat them as part of recovery.  It might still be with you tomorrow ... and the next day ... but just let it be there and don't try and get rid of it, because it'll go in its own time.  Try and relax towards it, carry on with what you need to do - but in a gentle relaxed way.  It will go.

So glad things are looking up for you at last though.  Thos good times will get stronger and the blips will slowly stop coming.

K x

• Posted

Hey Kate. Well it's still with me. Here's my schedule since I switched in December. Does this sound or look typical?

Dec 27th to march 7th - 10 weeks

Rough

March 8th to April 12th. Better.

April 13th to April 20th rough

April 20th to 22nd better.

April 23 - May 2nd rough.

May 2nd - started feeling better.

May 11th - a little anxiety and a little rough.

May 12th to May 17th better

May 17th at noon and afternoon felt a little rougher. Anxiety and crying.

May 18th (today) anxiety and rough again.

• Posted

Yes that sounds about right.  Being up and down like that is quite typical of recovery.  I used to have days days where I'd be rough in the morning and then fine by the afternoon and it would even change by the hour sometimes.

Looking at your timescale (and not counting the initial 10 weeks) you've had just over twice the amount of good days as bad approx 47 vs 20.

The more you relax towards those bad days, letting the feelings sweep over you and not reacting to them, the easier it gets.

neutral xx

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Today I've just felt sleepy all day. Hungry but not wanting to eat. So I guess I'm still early days? I hope others can see this and draw from it. I'm so ready for the days of feeling rough to start decreasing. I remember you saying that your son was on fluox. Was his time scale and experience similar?

• Posted

I appreciate all you do on here Kate. I sure just need the encouragement and this is definitely something that we don't get from the drs. Thanks again.

• Posted

Yes my son took Fluoxetine and he was very similar like that with good and bad days.  He started taking meds in the August and it was about the January when he started having the good spells.  From there it was about the May / June when he had just about fully recovered ... so from the January he was up and down and was all over the place.  It slowly evened out and the months went by.

He's been well for 2 years now.

Not many doctors really have the time to look deeply into everything I suppose, though some do have special interests in certain fields.  

We feel anxiety in our stomachs so its not surprising your appeite is affected.  My son lost a lost of weight when he was ill, and he was quite slim to start with too.  He looked gaunt back then.

Yes it can still be early days, and I think you're already recovering because those up / down days are typical of it.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I remember when I started on citalopram and do remember that it took a while but not that long or maybe it did just think it was a more upward trend. Is fluox just that much a of a longer go to reach that point?
    • Posted

Mmm not sure really - everyone's response is different to different meds, but I have noticed on this site that the Flu does seem to take longer than Cit.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I know that the wait will be worth it. Just get the fearful thoughts of what if it doesn't get any better. Today was a little better just flat feeling today. It seems easier to get down than up. Just ready to get better. A lot going on. Wife's in a new job and working two actually.

• Posted

I think that's something we all think of when not well - what if it doesn't go away .... that added to many other 'what ifs' can make you anxious.

Yes I used to feel 'it' returning and there was nothing I could do to stop it, and yes, it always seems such an easy slide down and a hard slog climbing up again.  

Just try and keep relaxed throughout whatever is thrown at you.  Whilst you move around, when driving and through any anxiety.  Its really hard doing this as it feels like it totally the wrong thing to do, but in fact its giving your body and nerves a soothing feeling rather than tensing and keeping those nerves 'active'.

Hope your wife's new job goes well ..... exciting times smile

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. When I took citalopram I can remember having a few times when I would dip somewhat early in the startup window. but I don't remember it being this bad. Sure I would've. But I just get tired of the roller coaster ride. Will these blips eventually stop and fade away. Where they don't come around anymore or are these something that will continue on as long as I take the medication? I know in the citalopram I was blipless I guess until the accident. I'm almost 19 weeks now at 40.

• Posted

Kate also is it possible to someday get off these? This isn't my goal right now. My goal is to recover for a long period of time.

• Posted

I've taken these meds twice and found the second time around I had completely different side effects and it took much longer to kick in.

40mg is the maximum dose and quite a few people struggle on this dose and find their side effects linger.  It might be that an adjustment is all thats needed to rectify this?  Yes the blips will eventually settle down - as long as you're on the dose that suite you.  It really is trial and error.

Yes I'm off the meds now - came off last August.  I was ill for 16 years on and off, took the meds for a further 16 years (being well all that time) and am now meds free.  I do however take an over the counter one called 5-HTP which is a natural SSRI with no side effects.

So yes - you will be able to come off meds one day.

K x

• Posted

Forgot to say that I used to take 20mg and after a few years reduced it to 10mg as a maintenance dose which I stayed on for years.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I know I need to be stable for a good time before attempting a withdrawal from the meds. I do agree now after giving these meds nearly 5 months that maybe an adjustment needs to be made. I just don't know wether to go down to 20 or up to 60. The doctor that filled in for mine a while back thought I needed to go down to 20. She thought that I may be on to much fluox. When my psychiatrist returned she thought I should increase to 60. She's a firm believer in more meds more meds and that you have to have them to function. Just feel trapped at the moment.

• Posted

I know I had my anxieties before going on the meds but never realized that there was things I could do to get help to get over them. The massive breakdown was set off by a life event just couldn't seem to get over it. I know it's trial and error but could a reduction help? And if an increase, is it possible to one day lower back down? Would rather try a reduction just very unsure.

• Posted

Oh. Is 40 mg of fluox the highest dose there in the U.K.? And when you say quite a few struggle on that dose; meaning it was too much for them?
    • Posted

Gah!!!! Sorry I'm still reading Citalopram not Fluoxetine. Flu is fine at 40mg 😶

• Posted

Oh that's ok. I'm just not sure which way to go.....wait and be more patient, go to 60 or reduce to 20. I've got one doc thinking that 40 mg may be too much and the other wanting to up me to 60. However I know the 60 will mean starting over on the side effects and waiting a long while again. She even mentioned switching medicine. She's a mores the cure person.

• Posted

That is difficult knowing what to do re the doseage.  My son took Fluoxetine and it took him 9 months to recover.  He was up and down too and was on 40mg plus Mirtazapine.  I remember a time when I began to wonder if his meds were working ...... and then he turned a corner.

A reduction could help, and yes even if you increased then you can reduce.  I reduced my meds to a maintenance dose once I was better.

More meds doesn't mean you'll get better quicker mind - might not suit you.  On the other hand your psychiatrist might be right.  Its your body that'll decide in the end ... if they suit you or not.

I was the same - I had a breakdown following a long period of stress.  Didn't see it coming, then who does?  I was put onto anti-depressants which I took for 16 years - obviously completely the wrong ones, because as soon as I was started on SSRI's eventually I recovered.

So how many weeks in total is it now?

Don't switch meds too soon - lots of people spend too much time chasing recovery and hopping from dose to dose and then meds to meds instead of being patient and waiting it out.  It really does take a long, long time for many people.  I'd say that the majority of people starting noticing small changes around 3-4 months, and if you're not having ups / downs with anxiety by then, then alter your dose.  If after 6-7 months you still haven't had any ups / down with anxiety then change the meds.

K x

• Posted

It's coming up on 19 weeks so 4 months and 3 weeks. I'm confused - if I'm having no ups and downs with anxiety or having ups and downs with anxiety do I change the dose or switch? I do feel better today in general the anxiety isn't as prevalent but I can sense it if that makes sense. Just flat feeling not wanting or motivated to do much. Which i guess is an improvement. Just ready for an perminent upward trend.

• Posted

I also started taking krill oil in hopes that it helps with the depression and anxiety.
    • Posted

You should be having ups and downs by this time ....... that means you can either feel the anxiety has eased slightly or you're getting periods of feeling completely normal - either mixed with down periods (blips) when you feel very anxious.  If you can sense slight changes ..... however slight (even if its mixed with down times) ..... then I'd keep going.

Sometimes people give up just that little bit too soon, almost when they're about to start experiencing the up / down period ..... or they give up when they have the up / downs thinking they're ill again and the meds aren't working.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes I used to have times when the anxiety eased yet I could feel it lurking.  Your body has been so used to feeling anxiety physically and mentally, that'll it'll take a while for your body not to want to go through the motions even though you may not feel the anxiety.

If you think of your recovery on a chart, there'll be many ups / downs drawn on it, but the general trend will still be up.

Am I waffling?  Think I need a cup of tea ......

rolleyes cheesygrin

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I know that it's not as bad as it used to be but still uncomfortable. Just so tired and worn out. I know it'll be ok it's just the getting through it. I feel like I've given it long enough but then I wanna not change anything..... what if it's right around the corner. Today is more anxiety than the past few I need to get out and do something but just don't wanna.

• Posted

I find anxiety shifts by exercise.. my Doctor also told me that. Something that gets the heart rate up! I also spoke to my Doctor about my anxiety a few months ago and told him that Xanax does nothing for it... but strangely an ibuprofen tablet fixes it.
    • Posted

I don't know what to do. Today has been anxiety bad real bad. Just at my wits end. Can't see in front of me. 5 months I would think it would pick up by now and be steady. Just wanna get better.

• Posted

I've got chlonazapam and it just makes me wanna go to sleep. Does nothing to pick my mood up.

• Posted

I take mine at the evening time and sleep is decent but the whole next day isn't good till evening time.

• Posted

Ok maybe you need to look at taking in the morning. I notice if I am even an hour late at taking mine I start feeling crappy... which is strange as these are suppose to have a long life
    • Posted

Oh there's plenty making me anxious I'm sure. Wife's job shut down and she's in a new job but having to work two to make up the difference in pay. I'm fixing to file disability not only from this anxiety but from also from a traumatic injury. I fell 30' and shattered my right elbow and wrists. Forearm is messed up and had to have bones removed. All that is somewhat worrisome but I know it'll work out. I think my biggest worry is am I gonna recover? When I was on citalopram worries were less and I could deal with issues. Now it's just out of wack. I haven't taken them in the morning. Could that help?

• Posted

Well you know what I mean when I say I feel as if I'm on a roller coaster. Feel well for a while and then out of the blue it hits me. It's dibilitating. I feel like when I feel well it's like well let's get things done before the storm hits. One doctor wanted me to lower to 20 she felt I may have to much fluoxetine. I guess that's possible I don't know

• Posted

After you take them do you feel ok and then closer the time to needing to take them again feel worse?
    • Posted

My evenings are better and I take them at 7:30 p.m. Then after I wake up in the morning I feel pretty zapped very sluggish and can lay there in a semi sleep state. by early afternoon to late afternoon 5:30ish is when I feel the worst. Then evening it lifts again.
    • Posted

Yes it disappears little by little, and I remember going through and got to he stage of it as not as bad as it was but still uncomfortable too.  It took my son 9 months on these meds and I'd began wondering whether he should change meds, but we kept on.  Luckily it was the right decision.

Sometimes when you don't feel like doing anything, it often the doing it anyway that helps push through.  But whatever you do, do it as relaxed a manner as you can.

K x

• Posted

That's how it was with me.  Every morning I'd wake with dreadful anxiety and throughout the day it would wear off, and by the evening I'd feel ok.  It was like this for ages with the ok feeling slowly creeping more into my day.  It was at 6 months when I woke up with no anxiety and was anxiety free all day.

After that I still had the occasional blip but it didn't worry me anymore as I could see the pattern.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I Just need to push on through. Just feels like there's no ending to it at times. Tired and wore out. 7 days now into this blip hope it goes soon. I had asked lookingonwards about the time of day I take it. I take it in the evenings. This wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

• Posted

Yes it can feel never ending at times.  Remember that web link and book ..... don't fight the blip and let it be there as long as it takes.  Fighting will make you tired ...... relaxing and giving in takes a bit of the pressure off.

I don't think it matters when you take your meds ...... whatever time of day, its in the body, and will do its magic.  I did take mine in the morning though as my stupid brain at the time told me I'd get the benefit from freshly taking it during the day rather than it perhaps weaning off at the end of the day ..... but it really doesn't matter when.  Whatever suits you.  My doctor did tell me though that its best for sleep if taken in the morning ....... but who knows.

K x

• Posted

Ok. Thanks Kate. I just went to see my gp. And he also wants me to drop down to 20 mg. and try it. I don't know what to do.

• Posted

And you're on 40mg at the mo?  Mmmmm it could be a slight dose adjustment that it what you need.  If you're unsure, why not first drop to 30mg and see how that goes, which is half the reduced amount?  You could try and them maybe go down to the 20mg after a while.  If it doesn't suit you its not such a drop.

K x

• Posted

Yeah that's true thanks Kate. Do people sometimes drop and feel better

• Posted

Danny, I had this on horrible blip around the 5 month mark and that was hell but after that it has all gone.. it was like a final hoorah!

I also find that when I get any sort of anxiety now it is just the physical symptoms of the tight chest... there is no thoughts going round and roun d and round in my head.... are you having thoughts with your anxiety or just feel like your body is anxious only?

As for time of day that you take these tablets it actually does make a difference... I just had this discussion with 2 Pharmacists and my Doctor last week. I work at night so I take my tablet around 5.30-7.30pm.  I notice myself that around an hour or two before my next tablet is due I know it... I am not feeling depressed but my body tells me when my tablet has been forgotten and it tells me very very quickly after the fact. 

My Doctor who is fantastic told me that we all metabolise medication differently... I know my sister is a classic example of medication going thru her body very quickly where you and I may take a tablet which last 24 hours... hers might be through her system in 12 hours. That is why often on some medication they do a split dose- some in the morning and some at night.

Now the time of day that I take my medication suits me as I know I am awake after being a night shift worker... plus if I do start to feel anxious the medication is in me and working the whole "shift" the time I feel crappy as it gets closer to taking it then well I am sleeping.

This was suggested to me several times for the best way for me to handle things and why I do take it at night.. which for most normal people is their morning when they take it. 

I am unsure why your GP has mentioned dropping your dose... it is of course your decision and they are the medical specialists... but to me it seems unusual that if you are finding the medication is working for a certain time of the day and then you bottom out that it may be a changing of the times so that when you are bottoming out you are asleep. 

I agree with Kate that if you are going to drop down then do it to 30mg... Doctors seem to do these massive drops and have no clue that it will be felt. Whilst 30mg is a pain in the behind.. as you need to cut the tablets you may feel some side effects if you suddenly do a straight drop down to 20...     Danny...  did you discuss with your Doctor about changing the time of day at all? Sometimes it is truly is as simple as that..

• Posted

Hey lookingonwards. Yeah I have the thoughts as well as the bodily anxiety. like why am I thinking that or where did that come from (some intrusive) it seems constant until the late afternoon/evening. Maybe I should give the morning a try and see if it works. My gp and nurse also set me up with therapy there at their facility. I feel that they're really understanding this gp is a new one for me the other one left and this is the first time to really discuss my situation with him. I didn't know that time of day could make a difference. And like in your experience maybe this one is a last hoorah. oh I pray that it is. Like right now it is 4:22 p.m. and I've settled down. Thanks for your words cause as you said the last thing I wanna do is give up to early.

• Posted

Oh yeah I talked with him about the time of day. He said I needed to give that a go and do try it in the mornings. He said its more of a day time medicine. I sure hope and pray it helps. Lookingonwards when you were going through these did you experience the side effects as well? Like rigidy muscles and jerks along with the mental part? I guess kinda feel like initial start up effects I guess.
    • Posted

Yep.. everyone has different side effects. Did your Doctor tell you how to swing over from taking them at night to the morning?
    • Posted

Hey Lookingonwards. I'm glad you asked that. I asked him and he just said to switch over; he did say that is a good question though. I was gonna take one tonight and one in the morning and then both the following morning. I don't know if that's right. I was just thinking of a way to do it. Would that be ok or do I need a different method?

• Posted

I would check with a pharmacist on that one. Mine told me to just start edging backwards slowly if I wanted to switch... so each day take it an hour or so earlier than the day before... but double check with the drug store.. and tell them that you usually feel the worst right before your next tablet is due so do not want to long of a gap.
    • Posted

Yes absolutely.  There's been many people on here, some I've chatted to, who've decreased their dose and then found its made a huge difference .... and gone on and recovered.

Different meds and different doses all suit each individual.

• Posted

Danny - the intrusive thoughts are just a side effect of anxiety and / or depression.  The reason why they aren't constant late afternoon / evening is probably because the anxiety / depression has eased a little.  They go hand in hand together.  Though instrusive thoughts may be disturbing and upsetting, there is no reason to try and analyse them, why they're there ....... the only reason you have them is because of anxiety and / or depression.  

When you have anxiety or depression everything is magnified ...... including your thoughts.  They seem bigger than ever, scarier, more worrying and in turn you then start to try and rid yourself of them and are constantly thinking, thinking, thinking.  Try and remember that thoughts are no more than a side effect and once the anxiety or depression you have starts to ease so too will the thoughts.  To keep analysing them just adds to the problem.  You can't just stop thinking about them, so let them be there, let them have their say ... because they're going to anyway.  They will go.

I think you are making progress because the thoughts aren't constant by late afternoon / evening.  This is what happened to me.  By that time things started calming down and I felt at ease.  I didn't know I was recovering because it happened so slowly.  I began to look forward to the evenings because I felt a little calmer and over the months this calmness grew stronger plus it spread more into my day.  By then I could see it was happening and knew I was then getting better.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I've been feeling better. Just a family misunderstanding as of lately has kind of got me worked up again. I guess it'll settle. Split my dose I think 40 mg at once was a bunch.

• Posted

Split meaning 20 mg in morning and 20 mg in evening.
    • Posted

Hey Kate. Felt better about the time I started switching time of day then was down a little then better however a family matter kinda got me upset and now not as good. I guess it will settle again won't it?

• Posted

Hey Kate this anxiety. Oh I'll be so glad when it subsides. I'm almost 21 weeks. Sure gets frustrating. Seems like events or bad situations can set it off. Does this seem about right for this amount of time on it? Sure ready for it to lift. Just worried of a med change or increase. The blips aren't as bad as they used to be, leaves me really exhausted.

• Posted

Hey Danny... do you see a psych at all? I am starting to think from what you are saying that you are having situational anxiety.... which means things on the outside trigger you. Whilst medication can help things that may seem bigger than they truly are... the reality is the situation that triggers you needs to be sorted and you need to find ways to deal with it along side the medication. This medication is not the magic pill as my doctor tells me... unless you are doing the full work by speaking to a specialist to give you coping skills or a plan to give you something positive to work towards then all these tablets do is suppress the issue. I use weight loss as an analogy a lot... it is like people who use these metabolism tablets but still eat pizza.. burgers... coke... chocolate but declare they are losing weight... the issue is still there they are still eating the crap.
    • Posted

Hey Lookingonwards. I don't know. things that used to not bother me do now and feels like this medicine so far just gets to a certain relief point and then I'm prone to dip again. I just don't know. I had an appt in a couple days and cancelled it for a later date because I started feeling better. I know before I was on medicine that situations would set off my anxiety but while in citalopram I didn't really notice it bothering me so much. But I guess this fluoxetine works different?

• Posted

I know these aren't gonna take away all feelings and emotions and don't want them to. Just feels like this medicine is so up and down. Like today just anxiety still and feel like doing nothing. My gp wanted me to drop to 20 as did another nurse practitioner of my psychiatrist. But started feeling a bit better and didn't. I feel like when I took the whole 40mg at the same time it seemed like a bunch at once. Not sleeping real well either. I'm taking one 20 mg tablet in the morning and the other around 6:00 p.m. Gonna try it at 4:30 this evening.

• Posted

Yes, this is where learning to relax throughout your day really helps, and through any stressful event.  Stress and tension sets it off again - it obviously always be like that because as you recover the anxiety will ease and you'll be able to deal with any events.  Its because the anxiety is still so near the surface still ... waiting to bubble.  Relaxing will further defuse it all.  Its a great tool to use always.

Yes 21 weeks is about when I started feeling changes.  Its best to count recovery in months - weeks sounds long wink

If the blips aren't as bad as they were then recovery is happening and it will get better.

• Posted

Ok thanks Kate. Just wanna get well. I have OCD as well I know that can ruminate the anxiety but I guess my initial expectations was a few months and would feel better. And have just not continually. I guess what I was trying to say is the blips aren't as severe in intensity at times they are but not as bad. I keep hanging on to the thought that your son took. 9 months so there's still hope. Have you ever dealt with OCD as well?

• Posted

Oh and I hope splitting the dose this way is ok. I just knew that taking them all at once I was waking up and just felt a big surge throughout the morning.
    • Posted

Yes your right about the weeks. So I'm 5 months and a week. I'm gonna stay the course and hope that it picks up. Feel apprehensive about recovery after this long. But that's prob normal also.

• Posted

Sorry didn't see the previous posts either today.

Splitting the dose is a good idea - have you done that for long?

Yes when you're not well everything is magnified, so when something upsets you it'll probably make the anxiety / depression worse for a while.

It will pass.

K x

• Posted

Oh that's ok. Sure appreciate ya. Thanks Kate. I've been splitting the dose for 3 days now. Will the magnification of events lessen as time goes on?

• Posted

Kate - do blips last for just a day? I mean if they are 2 days or so does that mean its more than a blip? Like somethig isn't working? - I've had two days of anxiety after over a week of relative calm... I'm scared i'm losing my mind.

• Posted

Hey Kate. Well after looking at my calendar I'm 5 months today on 40mg. This is after the transition or switch from citalopram. Don't know why I thought I was farther along than that. I guess I'm still in the starting period and I have to keep reminding myself of that. I think I feel better but not like getting out and doing yet. Oh I forgot I asked does the magnification of events lessen as time goes on?

• Posted

Good idea to split the dose.  Yes the magnification of events and how your body responds to thing definitely lessens as the anxiety heals.
    • Posted

Blips can last any length of time ...... weeks, a day or even an hour or 2.  I used to have some days where I'd feel anxious in the morning and calm in the afternoon.

When you get those calm days, try also relaxing and letting go as you move around and not rushing about.  Its the 'doing to much too soon' that can make you feel low again.

• Posted

I lose track of time ... always.  Trying to remember back to how long I'd been ill, how long I'd been on meds and how long since I've recovered is always miscalculated.

A lot of people get to that stage of thinking they feel well, but not quite sure.  That shows the anxiety / depression has probably calmed a bit.

Yes the magnification of events and how your body reacts does lessen over time.  

• Posted

Thanks Kate. This is the 5th day of splitting the dose. I've been taking it at 7:30 -8:30 am and then at 3:30 in the afternoon. Is it possible to take it earlier in the afternoon? I sure sure hope it helps. I guess it will still even out in my system won't it? I read a study that said it didn't matter if it was taken in the am or pm. Just ready to turn a corner. For a constant upward trend.

• Posted

Any advice is sure appreciated. Oh and I've been taking pharma gaba as well.

• Posted

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to take it earlier in the afternoon - afterall you'd take the full meds all in one go normally.

No it doesn't matter when you take your meds - everyone has a different  preference.  I used to take mine in the mornings.

Not heard of pharma gaba (had to look it up).  cheesygrin

• Posted

Thanks Kate. Just not to that relaxed feeling yet. Feel a lot of energy. Too much energy. I wake up after being up a long time and legs feel drunk. I feel sort of a dull anxiety. Movements are rigidy and muscles twitch somewhat. I feel flat really, anxiety hasn't been amped up but yet still faint in the distance I guess. Maybe depressed but find myself thinking of good things. I don't know. Have been getting out and walking and running errands. Just not relaxed feeling yet. Are these side effects still? I mean in a blip side effects? I don't know feels like it's almost too much of a dosage (40mg) sometimes. Head feels sluggish also and tranced I guess. Well I'm through complaining. Just ready for some normality.

• Posted

You won't feel relaxed yet, but the relaxing I mean is by letting go of any tension in your middle, your jaw etc whilst going about your day.  This doesn't relieve the anxiety, and you probably won't feel relaxed, but practicing letting go (bit like relaxing the middle when going for a wee wink) is the feeling I mean.  When we're anxious we hold our middle (stomach) area is tightly without realising it, and our jaw (clenching teeth).  Even if you can just release this tension for a while, its a start.

When we go to bed our muscles relax and tension is eased - that's often why we feel better when going off to sleep.  When we wake up that tension immediately starts again.

A friend of mine once lost 3 stone in weight and then put in back on again.  For about a year she said she was waiting to be in the zone before trying again.  I said don't wait for the zone to happen but instead start doing it and the zone will follow.  That's a bit like the relaxing.  Start it even though you don't feel relaxed, and it'll slowly begin to happen.

Could well be depression.  Feeling ill like this does dampes the spirits too and its quite exhausting being in the constant alert mode.

The energy is adrenaline surging through your body.  Exercise is good as it helps burn up the adrenaline.

Yes they're all side effects still.  Feels like they go on forever don't they sad  Its always best to give each dose a few months before increasing or decreasing as it takes a while for the body to adjust.

A blip is the same, so yes.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I started taking my medicine in the morning. And still feel groggy on the mornings even to mid morning and noon with some anxiety. Still intrests in doing things are low. I guess the grogginess will wear off. I'll be 5 months and a week tomorrow.

• Posted

Don't forget, if you're not having good periods of normality too mixed with the down times (blips) then do speak to your doctor about your dose ..... sometimes lowering is just the thing some people need.

But yes - the grogginess does wear off.

• Posted

Thanks Kate. I'm having good times mixed typically in the afternoon and evening. Today isn't as good a little anxious and stomach problems ( back door trots) I just hate to change to quick. Where it took you over 6 months and Ron took 6.5 months and Ria over 6 months on ecitalopram. Yesterday I felt a lot better. But I guess it's the way this goes. I can remember it taking a while. Don't think it was quite this long but they all say that fluox is a lot slower. I know the last couple of days in the afternoon I felt better but it was like almost too better if that makes since. I was wired up a little too much it felt like. Then I go to like I am today of some anxiety and tired. I think I will look at lowering very slowly but I just wanted to get stable before messing with it.

• Posted

Meant I remember the citalopram taking a while to even out.
    • Posted

I'm just wondering if I am on too high a dose. I feel better but these are the symptoms that keep coming back on me.

anxiety, diarrhea, drowsiness, insomnia, nervousness, tremor or jerky muscles, nausea, no appetite to decreased appetite, decreased libido, dry mouth and dizziness.

• Posted

And you've been on them for 5 months?

Anxiety often comes and goes throughout recovery which could last this length of time, but I'd have thought the dry mouth, dizziness, drowsiness, insomnia, nausea and appetite would have stopped by now as they're often present at the start then wear off.  Libido is often a problem all the time sad

I had an tremor (inner shake) the second time I started meds but that wore off after some months.

Do all those symptoms come back with each blip, or just random times?

Be interesting to see what others say about them on this site too??

• Posted

They come during blips. But can notice them during times when I don't have a blip. The diarrhea on and off as well. But just too much energy at times it seems. The insomnia all the time.

• Posted

I know I need to take a good multivitamin. I haven't been. I'm sure it would help if I did.

• Posted

Hi,

I've just replied to you on a different thread, but these symptoms you describe are exactly what I am having at 5 months. Diarrhoea, feeling sick, no appetite (bit better in evening), head pressure, waking up early, twitching muscles, shaky hands, foggy head, dry mouth, dry eyes.

These only happen when I am on a blip, but are lurking in the background when I am not in a blip. This latest blip at 5 months is the longest yet - maybe we are on the verge of turning a corner?

• Posted

Hi! Am in a similar position to Danny- how long have you been well for now? I'm at 5 months and having a rotten blip.

im hopeful that I am in my last hurrah!

• Posted

Hey Kate. I started taking the fluox in the morning and afternoon. Man it sure keeps making me tired after taking no it in the a.m. for the last 11 days Where I just wanna sleep. I don't know what to do I think I'm gonna go back to taking it at night. Sure don't like the sleepy feeling.

• Posted

Hey Kate. I have review at my dr tomorrow. Actually both of them. I don't know what to do. Stay the course I reckon. I'm sure they're gonna wanna do something. After I take the 20 mg. in the morning I get anxiety and a lot of energy like an overload charge almost. Then at the same time I get tired but with all this juiced up feeling. It's frustrating. Eyes get heavy but at the same time can't relax and sleep. I don't know what step to take.

• Posted

Sure hate the thought of upping and I know that's what my psychiatrist will say. She believes in meds cure all and the more the better. I just hate to go through 12 to 16 more weeks of it to settle. I've not felt recovered in almost 7 to 8 months.

• Posted

Morning Danny. It's 6:45am here and I've been up for nearly two hours!

Let me know what your doc says today. Feeling very sick today, tummy pain, high as a kite and exhausted but can't sleep. 

I notice that you mention God a bit. i feel that God is telling me to have hope and wait. Isaiah 40 vs 29-31 means a lot to me and gives me comfort. Trying to rely on Him and not my own reasoning.

• Posted

Yeah the blip this time is long. Makes me wonder when the blip the blip is gonna stop and if it's not a blip and the medicine has stopped. I know it will be fine I pray to the Lord and I know He's got this. Thanks for the Bible verse. That means a lot to me also. Thank you.

• Posted

Sorry - I'm so behind with posts (been out such a lot).

Re the length of time everyone takes on these meds ..... my son took 9 months.  I'd even began thinking maybe he needs a change a around 6 months maybe, and then suddenly I started seeing a change in him (still with the ups and downs).?

Mmmm it does sound strange thought that you're getting an upset tum and all the other symptoms still that usually occur in the first weeks / months.  Usually by now most people just get anxiety, tiredness maybe and perhaps some others but only slightly.  All the different types of SSRI's suit different people and usually if one isn't right then there's lot of others to try.  I started out on Seroxat which I recovered on, but it gave me dreadful anger issues (like permanent PMT) so was switched to a different sort which was better.  I eventually ended up on Citalopram which was brilliant for me.

My son took Fluoxetine and it did take him longer to recover than when I'd been on meds many years before (when he was little), but he did eventually recover on them.

How did you get on at the doctors?  I've haven't been through all posts yet so may not have come across it yet.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate thanks for getting back with me. They are checking my blood work particularly my testosterone level. I did all that Friday morning. Will get the results Wednesday. They wanted to check it before they do anything else. I've got the anxiety in the morning it's not a bad anxiety just sort of dull. My dr. Said its more depression that I'm dealing with right now. It seems like that's kinda been the trend anxiety settles then the depression slowly gets better. I sure hope so. I've been feeling lethargic in the early afternoon. Slight flu like feeling. Drained of energy and weak. Not a lot of interest in doing things but yet the thought of looking forward to doing them when I get to feeling better. The late afternoons and evenings I feel better. I've been walking. And I know my sleep isn't good been falling asleep around midnight to 1:00 and awaking around 6:00 a.m. I know that I need to get to sleep earlier. Since sleep plays a role in all this. This fluoxetine seems to keep me up later for some reason no matter what time I take it. Did your son also struggle with getting to sleep while on it? Well Kate thanks for getting back with me. I sure appreciate ya. Oh I private messaged ya.

• Posted

Forgot to mention my T levels were low a couple years back and the men's clinic called and told me that they were but a gp brushed it off saying that those t levels would work and don't worry about it. My current gp wasn't to happy about it.

• Posted

Just catching up and seeing how you are - though I did answer your private message too.  You get your blood results tomorrow don't you?

Yes anxiety does ease off and you can get left with a flat, depressed feeling.  I found when I got to that stage I just slowed down even further and didn't push myself as my body just felt like it wanted to rest.

Yes being drained of energy and lack of interest is the depression - it takes a lot out of you.  

I used to get that too - dreadful mornings, then it would ease by the evening and I'd feel normal.  That normal time slowly spread more into my days as the weeks / months passed until I felt well all day.

Yes sleep is important, but if your body isn't playing along you can't make it really.  Going to bed earlier is important to try and unwind - even if you just read for a bit.  No TV, laptop, phone screens as the light emitted from the screens play havoc with your melatonin (sleep hormone).

Yes my son struggled with his sleep.  He was also prescribed Mirtazapine which helped loads - he was then always tired.  Afftected his appetite too and he was always hungry.

That's a bit your previous GP brushing off the results of your T levels ...... levels should always be addressed.

K x

• Posted

I have seen you post on a few threads. Thank you for being such a supportive person. Seeing your calm makes me feel calmer just reading.

This is my 2nd go on Flu. I was on 3 years ago and it worked great. This time around I have gotten more side effects.

I did 10 mg for a week then bumped 20mg yesterday. Last week I barely ate at all, would wake up in a panic at 3 am and be panicky and sick until 2 pm. Yesterday, I woke up feeling fair and by the afternoon I felt great. I was starving and ate more than I had all week. Then this morning I woke up in a panic again with a turning stomach.

I am hoping it is just due to the new higher dose and in a few says will pass.

• Posted

Hi angelajean

Haha my friends grumble I'm too chilled and calm biggrin

I've been on meds twice and had a different experience and side effects both times.  Second time it took longer too.  

Each day can be different, and having a panicky start doesn't mean that's how the rest of your day will turn out.  Often the anxiety will ease and you'll feel calmer later in the day ..... only to wake again the next day full of panic.  Its your body settling down.

Yes each time you increase your dose you'll get heightened symptoms all over again.  Give each increase the time it needs to settle before increasing again.

The meds worked before for you so they'll work again.  It takes time, but keep that thought in your mind as you move towards recovery again.

K xx

• Posted

Last night I was feeling pretty good. Then this morning I woke up sick all over again. I feel like my whole life is spent in the bathroom being sick. My husband and kids are worried about me. Between throwing up I have to reassure them that everything is okay when I don't even know if it is okay. I am so tired and feel almost broken.

• Posted

When do you take your meds?  You don't want to be sick long after taking them as you'll lose their effectiveness.  Make sure you drink lots of fluid.

Have you been on them just over a week now?  I've heard some people are actually sick - I never was but did feel nauseous.  Its early days and those side effects should pass, though I know not nice at the moment.

It is worrying for the family to see you unwell, but you can say its your body adjusting to the medicine and this is a known side effect for some people.  I'm not surprised you're feeling tired too - the anxiety, the meds and being sick will have a big effect on you.

I'll private message you too.

K x

• Posted

Today I was sick but that was more from nausea then anxiety, I think.

I have been on them for 1 week and 3 days. The 3 days is at the increased 20mg dosage.

I always wait until I start feeling better before I take them so I don't risk throwing them up. Usually, late morning, early afternoon.

• Posted

I'd wait until your side effects have settled before attempting to increase again.  Every time you increase you'll get the side effects again, so let one settle first.

That's good to wait until the sickness has passed before taking the meds.

I've messaged you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.