7+ weeks post TKR scar still very tight

Posted , 9 users are following.

This site has been wonderful, I am so glad I found it. It's 3 am in

UK and as lots of you state sleep is a nightmare. I still take tramadol at night but manage thru the day.

One of my concerns is how tight my scar is? It healed well and

I'm using bio oil twice a day to massage the scar but it feels so

tight as if I haven't enough 'give'. It is one of the reasons I'm not

sleeping and any advice would be great.

3 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynne. I am 3 weeks post TKR and.my physical therapist just started massaging my scar. I have been rubbing Vit E oil on it but it was amazing how deep she pressed when she did it. Now I'm doing it and I can actually feel "pops" as I move through tight scar tissue. Not only does it feel better but the scar is much flatter and less puckered. Are you still going to physio? Maybe they or your doctor could show you how to do it. Best of luck with it. 
    • Posted

Thanks I am trying to do it deeply, I had no idea how long the recovery would be. Seeing consultant Monday so I hope he has some ideas.x
  • Posted

Hi Lynne I feel ya..I'm 9 weeks out and my scar acts the same way..between it being itchy and sore I'm going crazy..sleep my dear what is that lol I massage anything and everything I can for relief.

I even pay my son lol to itch it for me..it's worth it he has the magic touch..I don't see much about angry tight ichy scars on here so I'm hoping someone responds that has a trick that works..for both of us..I'm in California and I dread the notes cuz they seem longer then the days ..wishing you good luck with your recovery know your not alone..I love this forum it has helped so much..sorry I didn't solve anything for you and I piggybacked on your comment.

sometimes you gotta vent..thanks take care Kim

• Posted

Thanks Kim, it just makes me feel less isolated or weak knowing others feel the same. I do try and massage deeply but as Debz says not like the physios!

• Posted

Oh yes, the tightness of the scar! For me, the bottom half isn't too bad, but the upper half is puckered and tight. I also massage it with vitamin e oil, but not nearly as deep as they do in PT. That always brings me to tears.

I know this all takes time, but yes, it can drive one nuts!

Grateful for this forum to know I am not alone.

• Posted

Lynne52040

I'm 20 days PO and slthough behind your stage, my scar although healing nicely, feels very tight also. I shall wait till 4 wks PO before I start massaging oil/cream into knee. Without doubt I can now manage during the daytime better with just paracetamol, but the early morning hours are still brutal. The burning,stabbing and shooting pains begin around midnight and continue for 4-5 hours, it's unbearable. Paracetamol just doesn't even tough it. I intend to get meds for nerve pain when my gp reopens on Monday. I hope your incision eases up soon. Regards Msrgsret

• Posted

Hi Margaret, Did you get some nerve meds from yr Dr? A couple of weeks ago my GP gave me some Valium (just 14 / 2mg tabs) but on a really bad night they help a lot, along with more pain meds. I only use them sparingly but they have been a good help. During the day I usually manage unless I do too much, then I just take mild tabs, but at night I still use Tramadol.

I saw my consultant yesterday,he said it was still acceptable to still need  pain meds.

I did ask him why he hadn't told me how bad it was going to be and he laughed and said he hadn't told me it was an easy op! He said my knee bend was practically at the 130 degree that the new joint would allow. The scar he said would be better by Xmas but may always be a bit troublesome. It's a good job I really respect him as a surgeon! So scar massage and physio continue.

It has been such a help to find this forum, recovery would have been a lonely experience without all the lovely people who " talk" on here.

good luck with your journey x

• Posted

Hi lynne52040

I will have a new pain med by this afternoon, don't know yet which one but anything stronger than paracetamol will be a plus. The early mornings are still hell and by the time I'm up around 5:30am, my mood and outlook is as low as can be. I feel like my heart and soul have been ripped out. I have no interest in anything, and am in tears once again. All this sounds like depression to me (great one more problem to contend with) but I can't face taking anti depressants. I have absolutely no feeling of happiness in my soul. But I just have to keep going, but it's so hard. Have had back ache since day 1 too. Saw Physio yesterday who is pleased with my progress but wants me I concentrate even more on extension as I walking with a bent leg for 4 yrs. she told me to walk around the house w/o crutches and to use only one crutch to walk around my cul de sac, any longer walks would perhaps require 2 crutches. It's this bloods stiff band of pressure that WILL NOT EASE UP. Like my knees in a vice. Sorry to be such a misery, but each day nothing seems able to lift my mood.

• Posted

Good morning Margaret. Is it any wonder you are depressed and down in the dumps.  Just think for moment.  If you broke your leg and went to hospital, you would think it strange if they looked at it, said it will heal in time and oh by the way you might as well use crutches, then send you on your way!!!! No meds, no splint or plaster cast.

You have had your bones broken, nerves cut and muscles & ligaments re-attached, not to mention the layers of flesh that have been cut open and stitched up and you are taking a headache pill!!!!  Its not the "nerve" meds you need, but a strong painkiller.  I know how you feel after a restless night, then getting up in the morning to face the day, would have thought your chin is scraping on the ground by now.  Your physio (they can be so heartless) is doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing, they have a job to do and your pain and emotions are not on that list.  Instead of being so hard on yourself, go soak in a hot smelly (essential oils, (Charity shops now sell them, heaps cheaper than health stores etc) specially those that lift moods) bath and relax.  Your leg will relax as it is not bearing any weight and should, with very little effort, start to straighten.  Wait until you get your pain meds BEFORE you do any more exercises, otherwise you are going round in a never ending circle of pain.  Let the pain killers kick in properly then you can start with a vengeance.   Once you are "medicated" you will be able to cope better as the pain will have eased as will the cloud of doom hanging over your head.  You don't need crutches as much as you think.  Your knee will not give way.  Walk round your house slowly, holding onto things until you have confidence and not walk with a limp. Sit on the floor when you do your bend and extend exercises as all you have to do is slide you heel towards your behind hold and then slide straight, when it is straight, press the back of your knee into the floor as if you are trying tolift your foot without lifting your leg.  This will bring your quads (thigh muscles) into play.  Its cheating, but hey, who cares!  If it works, so it. Before too long you'll be racing round your cul de sac. If you have a hydrapool near you; join up for their physio classes (am amazed your physio hasn't mentioned this), the water is warm and you are walked through all sorts of exercises. Failing that, you local swimming pool during off peak when it is quieter.  Just floating will make you feel a whole lot better

• Posted

Margaret, I can so relate to what you are saying! Hard time sleeping, up by 5:30, out the door to work fighting traffic, struggle around the office all day, go home exhausted, manage to eat something, to bed and start over again.

There is no way around this is rough!

• Posted

My daughter and son in law moved in with me, I don't know how I would have managed without them, but the tears I have shed in my room without letting them know! Sometimes I haven't really understood why I was crying but just cried. I can't keep telling family or friends how bad I still feel. It's 2am and I have slept for a couple of hours and at some time will sleep for another 2/3. My physio said much the same as yours, she said I should use crutch(Es) until I can walk without limping which I can do for short walks. Sueisobel your comments are inspiring and without this forum I would have been so lost.

I know I am improving but in these wee hours it's hard to stay positive 

I hope your new pain melds are working for you.  X

• Posted

Lynne52040

My gp has given me Gabapentin (neurontin) at 100 mg to take 1 at night. Tried last night and alongside paracetamol, the stabbing shooting pains subsided a lot for the first time ever. I also took a Tamazepam which only works for approx 2 1/2 hours, but it's better than nothing. I feel less teary and hopefully can manage my exercises better. Like yourself, I'm sick of weeping and complaining to my family about my lot. They want only the best for my wellbeing, but unbearable relentless agony strips you of any emotional self control. I wish you well.

Regards Margaret

• Posted

Sweetie, you are allowed to cry, but sometimes you have to look around you and see the sun shining and, this time of year, the beautiful colours that are changing daily.  Try essential oils sprayed onto yur pillow and around your bedroom,  turn your room into a sancturary where you can relax.  Light lots of smelly candles; relaxing ones, obviously. Drive to somewhere in the middle of nowhere and yell (or sing) at the top of your voice.  Whilst all your misery and depression is in your head,it is NOT "all in the mind". There are ways you can fight this, it is a genuine condition, caused by the trauma you have come through, you are not alone and your doctor can/should help you.  When I get down, mine puts me on anti-depressants for 6 months, I normally stop after a month which makes her cross, but her attitude is " you have a life to lead and family to look after, you cannot do any thing when you are depressed".  You can walk, try a walking stick, if you can get a good wooden one, do so, soft soled shoes also make a huge, huge  difference. Practice walking down the stairs backwards.  I refuse to talk about the down days with friends (its the best way to lose them), but use them to pull you up, make you smile, allow you to relax a while, even if you don't feel like it at the time, you'll feel much better after.  You will be limping for a little while, embrace it, concentrate on building muscles, go to your local pool and float, bounce up and down in the shallower end; pushing off with your toes.  If you can get the tears out of your head, you will be able to better cope with everything else.
    • Posted

You are so naughty, stress, stress, stress. But I am with you.  Did you know that even with an automatic car, the vibrations transmit to your knee? It is so slight, you may not even notice it, but your joint does. And then you get out of the car and straight into an office, without stretching that poor knee. At work, on goes the smiley face, bet you don't have a box under your desk!!  No time for the odd massage, listening to the world and all you want to do is cry, scream........ Then back in the car, more vibrations, all those others cars, stopping, starting, your foot on brake (clutch) more stress.  By the time you walk through your front door you are a complete and utter mess and then you have to face your family (more smiley faces),  it's not their fault. Where's that glass of wine!!  Yup, it's rough on you.  How long do you sit in the car. Are you taking anything at night to help you sleep; if you don't like drugs, try hot chocolate (or horlicks) toddy with that added extra, there are herbal sleeping pills (don't reckon them personally, but we are all different). Hops in or lavendar spray on the pillow. Havent found a solution to the car bit yet (that is work in progress) When you get to work (if there's a microwave) heat up a wheatie bag (contrary to what everyone on here says, it works!).  The pain won't dissipate, but it will help make you feel better, then there is your seating arrangement, bet you haven't changed the position of your seat since youv'e been back at work.  Do so. Then throughout the day, try not to walk around so much but, do exercises whilst you are sitting.  There are loads (well quite a few).  Hopefully your colleagues are aware of your situation, if not, tell them, you don't have to go into the gory details. They would certainly help if you had your leg in plaster, so, same difference.  The last thing you need at work is sympathy, but it is nice when they lend a helping hand, bring you the odd cup of coffee/tea (They do need educating).  Don't be so hard on yourself.   Try and relax before going to bed (remember, wheatie, not ice pack ;-)  )
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your inspiring words, they have made me cry, again, but because some unknown person understands me so well and I am not a weakling who is not recovering as the text book states. I have my lavender oil on my pillow, I have taken my melds and WILL sleep  tonight. Thank you for helping me to accept the brutality of this surgery

• Posted

An hour drive each way! When I am on the turnpike I crank up the music and sing along. Yes, a coworker gave me a box for under y desk. Great and understanding coworkers! Lots of blessings! smile

I have no idea what a wheatie bag is.

I do have some lavender spray and am going to use it tonight.

Actually had a fairly good day today, even with the PT after work, which was grueling!

I so appreciate the support!!!

• Posted

Susie, I DID have a better night, I am going "swimming" today and all the other ideas you have shared have helped me refocus. What a difference sleep makes. xx
    • Posted

yikes, you need a seat that vibrates!!!!!! A wheatie is a cushiony thing full of wheat, you pop it in the microwave for 3-ish minutes and put it on whatever ails you.  Instead of ice, I use this, mine is infused with lavender so I use it for migraines, and my knees. A great substitute for a hot water bottle and lasts for years (have emptied the bag to wash the material and refilled), even better, where you would get rid of the cold hotwater bottle (what an oxymoronic description) you can keep using the wheatie as it is not uncomfortable. They have been around for years, some say the ones that are full of cherry pips are better, but haven't found one, so can't comment.  Just wondering if you could put some sort of thick rubber mat in your car to absorb the vibrations. As i mentioned before, you may not feel them, but believe they are, you may feel it more on the motorway when it goes from blacktop to that brown surface (Ithink they do it to help cars grip the road better in the rain, well that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!!)  Loud music is good, it takes up space in your brain and takes our mind of the pain.

Keep up the good work x

• Posted

make sure you don't do any strokes whereby your joints are twisted. Bod standard kicks are best.  Sleep is such a tonic, shame we have to get up in the mornings!! 
    • Posted

Oh dear its 1:30 and sleep is nowhere in sight. I had a good day, I drove my car on motorway, took dogs for a short walk, picked my grandson up from school, had a meal out with a friend and told her I would be back at work shortly. One good nights sleep really had me fooled lol! Still I feel much better emotionally.

yes the flipping leg is aching but I did have a great day and there is life after TKR.

thanks for all the support you have given to me and others, are you a trained counsellor because you have amazing insight. God bless. 

• Posted

Ah, I have a wheatie. Have often used it on my upper back and shoulders.

The mat for the car is a great idea! Thanks!!

• Posted

Sweetie, you are so welcome, hope it works.  Use the wheatie instead of ice-pack.  Hopefully you'll have a peaceful weekend
    • Posted

You are a very sweet person, when you wake in the night, try to think of very little as possible. Pick a boring but relevant word (or two) and just concentrate on them. Lavendar on the pillow, try not to fiddle around too much, learn to rest your body.

My day job is as office manager, but I have a part time job assessing foster carers and about 40 years of pain.

Hope you get a good night to night, take that hot toddy x

• Posted

Thank you! That would be wonderful. Now that I have added a broken little toe on my other leg I will have to try extra hard for some peace.
    • Posted

goodness, what are you like. Just as well its not the middle of winter!! At least you can drive bare footed and wear sandals to and from the car.  Are you using a cane for added stabilty?  Now, more than ever, make sure everyone is waiting on you x
    • Posted

The cane was how I broke my toe! LOL I am using my walker again for additional support. Seems my knee is aching more though, since I definitely can't walk correctly. Yes, thankfully I am able to wear sandals!
    • Posted

Goodness, I know you won't be offended if I say.  You are a walking disaster?????  biggrinwinkYour knee will hurt because you have changed how you walk. What about crutches?  Make sure you elevate whenever possible
    • Posted

ROFL Not offended at all! I have to laugh because it is so ridiculous. 😁

There is a sort of, not sure of what word I am trying to get, perverse thing about getting injured by the very thing I am using to help me. The really odd thing, I have an excellent sense of balance and have never broken anything before.

I cannot abide using crutches! And they are so inconvenient.

I figure I will survive this and get through it. But it is definitely something that is worth laughing about! smile

• Posted

Had a computer problem so missed the support from this forum. I am exactly 2 moths post op and things are much improved. Back at work but I only work P/T now and manage the motorway drive very well. The nights are still rubbish but trying all the techniques. It does seem to be a common problem.

what is new are the weird pains that come and go!! Physio says it is nerves recovering, well I wish they would get a move on.

wow did I underestimate the recovery of a TKR, but I am much better mood wise and the tears have all gone. Thank you so much for your help.

• Posted

You still have a little way to go, but you are getting there. When you drive, try having a sponge (or something squishy) under your knees, and if you have an automatic, stretch your leg out as much as you can, sometimes it makes getting out the other end a little easier.  The physio is right, but boy it takes ages for the nerves to settle down, keep massaging as it will help with the to desensitise things. There may be times when you cannot bear anyting touching your skin, wear an over-sized tubigrip, even at night in bed.

It does take a hell of a lot out of you, so be prepared for more ups and downs, but remember, you will get through it, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and your patience will be tried.  Go easy on yourself, back yourself on the back when you have reached a milestone and scream at the world when you are down, especially when you are driving. Other drivers will just think you are singing at the top of your voice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.