7 Year old with possible adrenal disorder. Help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter has been having episodes of hypoglycemia. It has landed us in the ER several times because she starts vomitting and we can't get her sugar to a safe level. The ER always told us it was because she was sick, or because she was small for her age. Except, she was never sick until her sugar dropped and was fine as soon as it was brought back up. Lately her "episodes" have been more frequent. Finally her pediatrician decided to run some labs. Her cortisol level was normal, but her ACTH level was 8. I know that isn't really low, but this was first thing in the morning and I have read thats when it should be the highest. She fell of the growth charts last year and hasn't gained weight since. She has actually started losing weight. We see and Endocronologist in a couple weeks, but I am trying to learn as much as I can so I can advocate for her. Thanks in advance for any replys.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Check all possible thyroid tests as well as blood sugars. I jad similar épisodes until i went on thyroid medication. The thyroid runs the adrenals and without enoigh thyroid hormone the adrenals cant run properly. Poor little thing...

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. We met with Endo yesterday and they are going to do a 48 hour supervised fast. Not looking forward to that with a 7 year old...but hoping to ultimately find some answers in a controlled environment.
    • Posted

Did your daughter already do the 24 hour fast?  I am hypoglycemic, and I can't even fast for half of a day.  Low ACTH and normal cortisol sounds like secindary adrenal insufficiency.  I came on this board looking foe info on SAI....but there isn't any.  I live in the US.  I was tested for SAI with and ACTH stimulation test......a lot easier than a 24 hour fast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.