70 Year old Father with Stage 4/5 CKD

Posted , 2 users are following.

Please pardon me as this might be a little bit long.

My Father has been undergoing dialysis for about 2years now. Two weeks ago, i came home to meet him on the floor groaning in pains. I tried to help him up, but he kepts screaming about this excrutiating pain on both arms.

We rushed him to the our family doctors and he seemed to get better after some days. Until he had a relapse of the pains.

He has so far had three dialysis since this incidence.

The Doctor is saying he needs to have dialysis twice weekly. The problem is after one session of dialysis he is extremely tired and takes about two days to gain his strength.

The dialysis cost us about $150 dollars per session here in West-Africa. We were able to manage the dialysis to once a week before the crisis, due to the cost.

I was thinking we could hold up the dialysis for at least 3days in order for him to get his strength. Since the crisis started he has not been able to work or even feed himself.

Prior to this crisis, we went for dialysis every other weekend and he could walk without assistance.

I'm hoping i can get any kind of advice on this matter.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Thank you. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I am so sorry your father is in pain.  Does he have haemo dialysis? What is his kidney function? I only ask as I am confused as to why he is having dialysis at stage 4 in the UK we don't start until our kidney function is below 15% and we would have it 3 times a week haemo and every night for minum of 8 hours PD.  If he is in pain in his arms it sounds as though they may not be taking enough fluid off and he has fluid overload.  Does he have pain in either of his shoulder blades as this would suggest too much fluid in the system.  Haemo is harsh on the body anyway but for someone of more mature years it takes its toll more so.  I hope your father feels better soon.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Yes he is on haemo dialysis. I really just started reading up on GFR and the rest. I'll be sure to ask the Doctor what his kidney function is right now.

He once told us he was at the end stage of CKD.

His haemo dialysis is actually for four hours and the Doctor says he has to do it at least twice a week.

We have done a couple of test, which to me wasn't necessary aside the cost of this test.

We have done a brain ct (non contrast), cervix and thoracic mri test also.

All came back with nothing serious.

The result for his last dialysis session on 01/10/2016

Pcv 24%

Post Urea 65 mgl/dl

Pre Urea: 189

Post creatinine : 2.6 mgl/dl.

• Posted

Hi,

Your results are recorded differently from here in the UK when I was on dialysis my breatinine was 600 now it is around the 100 mark so I don't know what the above translates too.  If he is end stage it is still bothering me that he is only having one or two a week that is not enough to clean the toxins so this could be why your father is so ill.  I understand that it is a lot of money to find and I really feel lucky that we have such good care here.  Please keep me posted as to your fathers progress wont you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.