8 days post ORIF and still needing Narcotic pain medications. Should I stop them?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had ORIF surgery for a bimallelor fracture and tendon repair on 1-3-17 after a fall on 12-27-16. I actually broke the end of my tibia clean off, doctor was shocked it didn't break thru the skin. I am still have a great deal of pain which I thought would have deminished significantly by now. I'm prescribed Percocet 5/325 and am almost out of my current bottle. I don't want to call for another script but feel.as if I need them. How long were others taking them and any suggestions to help the pain?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Alissa,

I took them for two weeks as prescribed, my dr gave me more which I have used only occasionally over the next two months. Very difficult to heal while u r in so much pain. But I would suggest u call your dr & tell him or her how u r feeling.

Best wishes,

Karran

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. I felt like I should be off the pain pills because my Dr only writes the scripts for 20 pills which taken as prescribed is enough for 2 to 5 days. Im allowed to take 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. Hearing that you took them regularly for the first 2 weeks is reassuring.
  • Posted

Go ahead and get another prescription... if you don't need them then you don't have to take them. But they will be there if you do need them.

Everyone's situation is different, so I think you just have to work with your doc and what works for you..

• Posted

Very true. It would be better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them. I hate how my script runs out over the weekend. Thanks
  • Edited

I am 12 weeks out from a Trimalleolar fracture. I first fell, I was given Percocet, Vicodin, and Tramadol. I know sounds like overkill. But I would have different types of pain. PT brought a whole different level of pain, and I would take a percocet before going. The Vicodin was to get me to surgery which was a week later, and I had it for 2 weeks after. That is when I just had Percocet and Tramadol. There are times when days go by that I don't need them. But in the beginning, I took them like clockwork. If you are in pain, you can not heal. Bone pain is the worst, well next to nerve pain. BEST of luck to you and speedy recovery ?

• Posted

I too had to wait a week for my surgery. During that time I had the Percocet which I took 2 pills every 4 hours and plain oxycodone for break through pain, ehcj I usually took at about 2 hours after the Percocet. I actually had alarms set so I would take them continuously with out missing a dose because I found it to be much harder to control the pain after it had risen in intensity. I'm glad to hear there is light at the end of this road. Right now I feel as if I will never be off these pain killers. I know it hasn't been that long since my surgery but I'm going insane not being able to do anything.

• Posted

Get the prescribtion.. if you need one, take one. If you don't they will still be there when you occasionally do. Ask your doctor about other OTC things you can take when your pain is not at a super high level. You are not that far out of surgery. I most definately still needed meds at the point where you are. It does ease off and gets better. I will say that you need to not be taking more than prescribed. Mark down the time and don't over do it. Hope you're better soon.

• Posted

Thanks, nice to hear I'm not the only person still needing prescription pan killers at this stage. Part of the reason I feel that I should be off f them is because my Dr only writes the scripts for 20pills, so I run out anywhere between 2.5-5 days. My script says I can take 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours and I'm taking 1 pill about every 6 hours, maybe a little less. I asked about what else I can take on my latest pphone call to my doc. And due to my allergic reaction to ibuprofen and all nsaids, the only thing I can take I Tylenol. I figured this was the case but asked anyways. I wish there was something else because Tylenol really doesn't do much for most pains for me.

• Posted

well I am sorry to hear that you are allergic to NSAID.. I still take those, not only for my ankle but also for my hands, etc... Just age. You might try only taking a half of a pill every 4 hours or so and see you if can still manage your pain. That would spread them out a little. I feel for you I can remember being there. It does get better I promise. Keep in touch.. I am glad you found this site.  Just knowing I wasn't totally alone in my misery helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.