8 months post rectocele surgery pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

Well  it's been a while since I've posted on this forum my recovery went reasonably well, just a small hiccup of a DVT at 8 weeks post surgery and having had a DVT, before resulted in now having to take blood thinners permanently but I'm ok with this - it is what it is 😊.  I have noticed in the last couple of weeks (since I had a slight cough) that I'm experiencing pain down below! Now today,  I have had throbbing pain again down below on the left hand side, on and off and excruciating sharp shooting back ache. I have had to take strong painkillers this evening.  Has anyone else had this or have any idea why this is happening? Is it normal so long after surgery and should I go and get it checked? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. X

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Annette. I'm no expert but if the pain is bad you should get it checked as it's 8 months since your surgery. There could still be a few deep stitches inside though, some take a long time to dissolve from what I've read on this forum. If Matron sees your post she will probably come on and speak to you with good advice. Which part of your back is affected by the pain? Is it central, lumbar or lower down? Is the abdominal pain in pelvis or groin or inside? Are you weeing well, are you constipated? If so maybe a stool softener or gentle laxative and plenty of fluids would help. In the meantime you should rest with feet up and see if this helps pain. It's weekend so there might not be as many answers before Monday now. Best wishes, Poll. xrolleyes

• Posted

I would get checked, I'm 5 mos post op and have no pain at all, do u excercise cause my dr. Said to definitely move around and be active.hope all is ok

• Posted

Hello annette. I can't believe it's been 8 months since your surgery. To be honest I haven't anything to add really , the other lovely ladies are right you need to see your GP and get checked out. This pain could be absolutely nothing to do with your surgery. If it gets worse today don't leave it though and ring the out of hours service. Try and rest today as well. Please let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Good morning everyone I hope you are all feeling positive today!  

I thought that it was about time to update you all.  

Following my discussion a few months ago now, things got worse and I eventually went and sought help and advice.  After very many examinations (violations lol!!) discussions and an MRI proctogram it was found that I had another rectocele.  I had another operation 12 days ago.  (Approximately 1 year after the first one!) I'm finding the recovery quite slow this time.  I have the added complication of being on blood thinners this time.  I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had a rectocele repair (and is on blood thinners) who can let me know how long they experienced bleeding for following their surgery?! Or, indeed, if anyone else can remember when their blood loss stopped - sorry if I'm being brutal 😂.  

As you all know it's almost impossible to find any advice or information following this surgery and I have found everyone's different experiences helps to put your mind at rest 😊. Xx

• Posted

Hi Annette. Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you had to go through all that again but hopefully it's fixed better this time. I just had a rectocele repair plus SSF for vault prolapse. I've not had any real blood loss and 4 weeks post op now. I had a slight discharge for about 2 weeks and gone at the moment. Not sure what will happen when stitches start to come lose though. I'm not on blood thinners apart from a couple of injections after the op. Maybe it is those which are causing you to have more loss this time. Try phoning the gynae clinic for advice if you can or your GP. Best wishes, Poll x rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna, 

Thanks for your response - I think it's probably related to the blood thinners, I was warned by the DVT clinic back last year when I was originally put on them that healing of anything in the future would take longer!  It seems to be worse overnight which is surprising really.  I would have thought it would be worse during the day when I am moving around!  I'll see if it continues for a couple more days and Then I will call the consultant or GP for advice.  I suppose it's probably still early days.  😊.  Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.