8 Months since my op

Posted , 11 users are following.

Well it has been 8 months since my op and honestly I wish I never bothered. I am daily in more pain now from the toe and surrounding it ; have a numb sensation surrounding the toe quite often and my range of movement isnt the greatest since the op. Also im getting used to walking off balance now I wonder if any problems will arise in the future due to this.

After exercise it still swells although not anywhere near as bad as it first did.

I was told that the average healing time ranges between 6-12 months. Well im now 3/4 of the way through my "healing period" and its doesnt still feel like im over the hill. I have since put on 2 1/2 stone weight through sheer greediness but not being able to do my 3/4 runs a week is contributing to my ever increasing waist line. I have since started walking 5km daily again to build up my legs and whilst training to regain proper balance it will take time but in hope it works.

Anyone else experienced difficulty this far on? Or are finding it hard to exercise.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Paul,

sorry to hear about your problems with the surgery.  I am 9 months post op bunionectomy (two screws in my big toe, one small one in my second) and the surgery has been a train wreck for me.  I still have pain AND numbness in my big and second toe.  Nerve damage is the dirty little secret abounding with this type of surgery.  It still feels like there is a two foot rod in my toe....very stiff and strangely claustraphobic.  I'm no stranger to surgery either.  I had rotator cuff surgery 10 years ago and ACL surgery eight months before I had the bunionectomy.  I'm an ex-college jock and have played every sport known to man for most of my life.  Both the ACL and rotator cuff went fine with very little complications.  I was up and playing tennis reasonably soon after both and the rehab was actually better than advertised...Bunion surgery was a completely different animal.  I still have lots of swelling and go to sleep with ice wrapped around my foot...I wake up (if I go to sleep) with frozen foot and need to pull the ice pack off my foot.  I can still feel pressure on my foot when I walk and have very little flexibility in my big toe...it was considerably better BEFORE the surgery.  I got the surgery so I could continue to play tennis, but now I have lots of problems walking.  AND, the beauty of the whole ordeal, is the surgeon blamed ME for the whole thing!  The one thing that would make me feel alot better is planting my sore foot squarely between his jewels...eventhough it would initially hurt...l followed his therapy regimen to the T but he blamed me anyways.  My excercise is now limited to swimming long distance (which still hurts my foot) and riding a state of the art three wheeler bicycle (I put a metal plate in my shoe to relieve the pressure on my toe)...I would heartily recommend swimming and biking in the manner of which I just described...it has increased my flexibility and relieved some of the pain.  The most I can walk is around a half mile...I will say my foot has gotten slightly better in the last few weeks...I attribute that to swimming and constant manipulation of my toes.  My feeling is the bunionectomy has considerably more problems than any of the surgeons will admit to because it might rob them of their livelihood...medical ethics anyone????    Try swimming and lots of maniupulation of the toes.

regards,

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear that you are actually worse off than myself, here was me pittying myself as well.

I did have a fair chuckle at your reply with the surgeon. But yeah I wonder the statistics of people actually feeling worse off POST surgery.

I have a good pain threshold also but its extremely niggling. I can also click my toe in and out of a position which I find strange also.

I did try the swimming and cycling but my local gym is about 20-30min drive away dependent on traffic, I have success with the swimming and enjoying it but once the foot started swelling again this was around the 4/5 month mark I just gave up and decided to rest it for a while longer in hope that it would eventually subside and begin to feel the way it once did.

Well over in the UK the Doctors/Surgeons work for the NHS which is a free health care system but yeah over in the US its crazy the amount you pay for medical insurance and surgery.

Do you think you will ever be 100% again after this or are you at least another 6 months - 1 year away from feeling "normal".

Hope you recover soon,

Paul

• Posted

Hi Paul,

sounds like it's pretty inconvenient for you to swim.  My advice is to keep trying it...it's certainly helped with my range of motion in my foot.  I toe would barely bend and it started putting tremendous pressure on my ankle and instep...which is why it's not good to walk "funny."

I doubt if I'll ever be "normal" again.  I walked a half mile today and it was the best it's felt but certainly not close to 100%.

Just curious, how do you decide on a surgeon?  Does the NHS pick one for you?  sounds scary.

keep in touch...hope you're doing better soon

Richard

• Posted

Hi Paul. I am 4 months since my operation I am having same issues. I had a double bunion operation I did it because of the continued pain from them. I too have had othet operations and this by far us the worst. I have tried talking to the doctor about my concern they say wait 3 more months to see how u are. Really not happy with that. I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

hi pauline x I am nearly three months post op after having two done together and hammertoe correction, i too only did this as i have had these bunions for over 25 years now and walking had become very painful and i was told that it will never improve only get worse, but i must say its been one of the most  painful experiences ever, my surgeon took the pins out three weeks ago now and said very matter of fact... thats it, get rid of the black boots, start wearing shoes, drive, go on holiday.... omg if only one of these things i could do, the swelling is still bad, the soreness and stabbing nerve pain is always there, as for a shoe forget it... cereal boxes would fit for sure... and no way could i drive at the moment, i have had days where i have been so tearful and generally felt so unwell in myself... i have had aches and pains all over my body and this too i think comes from being so immobile... i am an outdoors person so being stuck at home resting... ohoooo if i hear the word resting again ill scream because even that seem to make me ache... even my fingers hurt.. i can so relate to what people are saying on here, and i think the surgeons certainly do not tell you much about post op issues... i can honestly say if i could turn back the clock id say NO WAY !!! THE BUNIONS STAY !! LOL... i do wish you better days ahead pauline and hoping we all can gain something from this horrible op x
  • Posted

A little info Paul.  Here in the UK not everyone gets bunions done on the NHS, many people have it done privately.  I myself was fortunate enough to have it done on the NHS.  I was referred to the best in the business which was not my local hospital.   Our NHS doctors also work privately but give up at least two days a week to work for the NHS thus ensuring another generation of doctors learn their skills, it is to be commended as they could easily be private only and earn a lot more money.  I can honestly say I have received nothing but the best treatment.  I had my second op 5 and a half months ago and am still walking with a slight limp but if I concentrate and walk slower I am better.  With my last op it was just the same and at 6months my consultant said "enough time". And brought me in for an aggressive manipulation of the big toe and a steroid injection, under general, one week later I was walking perfectly.  I think after 7 months of exercise and I have to agree swimming has been my best friend, if you still can't walk properly then I personally would go for this option.  Perhaps those of you who are still struggling should explore this with your consultants.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hey Rosie, What a breath of fresh air to read your positive message after all the negativit on this page! I'm 10 months post op after my Scarf Akin BUNIONECTOMY last December - done on the NHS in Surrey. Yes, I had the expected uncomfortable times during recovery, but never had any real pain that I couldn't handle and here I am now waiting to have my second foot done in a month's time. IT IS a challenging op and recovery, but if you 'read up and ask questions' beforehand you know what's in store so there are no surprises. I can honestly say that I am delighted with my results and if the second op goes as well as the first, then I shall be a happy bunny! I sometimes find it hard to believe I ever had my operation done. The foot looks so good, I can wear smart shoes when I want, I have no pain or discomfort any more and there ain't nothing I can't do that I did before. I'm 70 by the way and living life to the full - wowee! LadyPink
    • Posted

I too live in Surrey but had my op in West Mid and like yourself am happy with the outcome although not quite over it yet but I share your joy and agree that recovery is also down to putting some effort in oneself.  I too can wear a bit of a heel now that the swelling has subsided enough for me to get into a normal shoe and flats for the day with some cushioning underfoot.  My greatest pleasure is the look of my feet in flip flops as I was never able to wear due to the ugliness of my bunions.  My surgeon does not recommend that I should wear them as he says they make you crunch up your toes however I find they make me walk through the toes so I wear round the house but again they are ones that have cushioning underfoot and I bought them in Spain they are not like our English ones.  You are lucky as you had scarf I had to have Lapidus (for severe deformities) and due to the bone fusion involved I am still not as flexible as I should be but have been given a further 3 months before deciding if I need to have manipulation again as I had with the first.  Like yourself I had a positive expectation and so far I have not been disappointed despite the lack of fusion initially which involved me being in a boot cast for 13 weeks so progress has been much slower than the first foot.  I wish you lots of luck for your second foot I am sure you will Have just as good an experience as the first and be delighted with the outcome.
    • Posted

Hi Rosie, Thank you for your message and good wishes.  I was nodding in agreement as I read your posting. I felt exactly the same as you when I tried flipflops on again; first time in goodness knows how long? My feet actually looked pretty - well at least one did! Something else we have in common by the way, I too am originally from the West Midlands.  Regards, LadyPink
  • Posted

Hi,

I had a bunionectomy last December, and have been in more pain post op due to the arthritis in the operated toe. I find it difficult to walk without having to limp as the pain is bad and I still have a bump/bunion.

I now need a toe fusion and realignment.

• Posted

hi ya paul, i can so relate to what you are saying, i am ten weeks post op, omg, never again, i had both feet done at once and hammer toe correction with pins... its been one of the most painful experiences ever, its been an emotional roller coaster too.... i have lost my job because i was told i would be quite mobile after six weeks, be able to drive and get shoes on... well not one of these has happened, as for getting shoes on i cant even bare anything touching my toes due to the swelling, pain and sensitivity, like you i have put on lots of weight that had made me feel rock bottom... my legs seem as fat as butter when i look at them, and i am eating silly things, i have no appetite, dont want a proper meal because not being mobile i dont really fancy it, so its biscuits, crisp and fast food... and that dont help... i cant walk with any confidence, holding on to door frames and walking up stairs holding on to the spindals to get me up... and then the swelling seems to get worse, my feet turn into fat sausages again and i seem to get a stinging nerve pain in the big toes and on the nail bed.... people say you will feel different about it as time goes on, but right now i am always saying had i had known it was going to be lik this i would of keep my bunions and just put up with the pain, and now the surgeon is telling me to look at least a year for some normality sets in.... i do so feel for you too as its so horrible feeling like this... i am due to go to spain on the 11th August, but i can not get any shoes on so i am thinking of wearing cereal boxes !!! they seem the widest i can find lol... but i dont want to go if i am honest, i am due to see surgeon on 4th but this guy seems very matter of fact.... he told me i could drive but no way do i have the strength to drive even just an automative... This site has been very helpful paul and i am sure you will get replys that will help you, in the meantime, keep strong, we will get there but its a slow journey x
  • Posted

Paul

i had a bilateral lapidus, Atkins and hammer toe release on 27/11/14, so I'm about the same stage as you are.

The op was done privately by a very good orthopaedic surgeon, but, as any theatre nurse will tell you, all orthopedic surgeons are butchers. There has been many times in the past 8 months that I've wished to turn the clock back, but, as I've had them done, will give it another 4 months before bashing my head against the wall.

was told prior to the op that there was a 85% success rate! and since the op I have felt that I have been in the 15% failure zone.

my left foot is still painful! but not as bad as the right! which spends most of its time looking like a puff ball, which means hellish pain on the top when trying to bend = ouch on walking, esp downstairs.

BUT, after saying that, have managed to spend a week walking a minimum of 6 miles daily, max of 12 in the Brecon Beacons, and am planning several 20-25 mile walks in the next few weeks, all due to being able to buy some walking boots that fit properly for a change. So the op has worked in that respect ie, slimmer feet equals getting into correct size boots.

i haven't been able to get into any other shoes than trainers, walking sandals and walking boots.

oh, I'm 60, work full time, and was reasonably fit prior to the op, and I lost weight in the first 6 weeks and managed to keep it off. I'm now up to a higher level of fitness than before, mainly being totally F'd off with the op. Started pole exercise 12 weeks afterwards and have continued to do that twice a week, walk a minimum of 4 miles daily, and push that to 6 miles + at weekends. 

I'm keeping positive about this as I can't turn back the clock, but if you here an almighty scream on 27/11/15, you'll know I'm grrrrrrrrrr, to rude to type in!

i sympathise with you, it's such a long recovery process, But I do feel lucky, as someone I talked to was on crutches for a year, then it took another year to recover, and she was 36 at the time.

Keep in there

Caroline x

• Posted

I had scarf op last November , I now  have just the same problems as you. See my backwards and also shoe cupboard hell threads on here, I have numbness  in the toe, and yet it still hurts? The joint is larger than before, not the bunion but the depth of the joint also a hard lump between big toe and second toe,  I have tried to wear smart shoes this last few days , as I'm going on holiday this Saturday , this was like putting my foot in a vice! The joint will not bare any pressure on it from a smart shoe, so what will I be wearing with my evening dresses on this cruise? Trainers, flip flops. I really thought after seven months I would be better and more able to get into shoes. This is depressing to say the least. The joint seems to hurt more this last few weeks than before. It's a small comfort to know others are in the same boat...... This site is so good for  advice and help. I don't know where I'd be without it.  I really wonder is this is as good as it's ever going to be.  Anita.
  • Posted

Oh dear this thread does sound depressing and I can add my woes to it! I had my op in January and developed crps which has left me with nerve pain and still very stiff and achy around the toe joint. I have patches of numbness And still swells after walking. I have to say I do regret it but hoping by the end of the year I will be improved and saying that I am pleased....but not hopeful. I was referred to. Pain management clinic and now wear lidocaine plaster for 12 out of every 24 hours which do help but when I don't wear them I have more of a dull ache than I recall before.  They may do a nerve block on the foot and then release it to see if it reminds my foot to feel normal again. All very bizarre but I have also put on weight and felt very low about the surgery.  I know though that the bunion was getting worse so maybe it was the right thing to do but at 46 I wish I could still wear nice shoes instead of trainers and flip flops....😧
  • Posted

Hi everyone, thank god for this forum - I would have gone mad without it! I too am having problems since my double bunion op in January. I can't walk properly which has led to hip ache etc and weight gain - I hate being indoors but am slowly managing to walk the dog further each week and building up my muscles riding my horse. I need the screw taking out of the left foot as it is protruding and rubs when I walk. Just been quoted the Queens ransom to have this done so guess I will have to go to my GP and be referred on the NHS.  I would definitely not have had them done if I knew how much it was going to cost and how long the recovery was going to take.  The worst part is that I am now unable to even wear flipflops as my left toe has been fused I can't get the toe to bend round enough to put the flipflop on let alone take it off (it makes me feel sick for some reason).  I live in mens black pumps or sketchers bought on the internet, not the most attractive but at least I can go outside! I too have had several operations over the years and bounced back quickly from each, this is a totally different kettle of fish. Oh by the way I got blamed for how bad my left foot has turned out as I apparently have osteoporosis - not been tested for it but according to the net most people suffer from it over the age of 50! I want to know how can you have it in one foot and not the other? - Enough of my rantings, lets just wish each other lots of luck for the future and a speedier recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.