8 week hurdle

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi hippies at almost 8 weeks I really thought I'd cracked this but last 2 days lots aches and discomfort on op side .Now getting me down as walk yesterday a struggle. Can't say it's pain . As I put yesterday am struggling with driving as uncomfortable but have ordered wedge . I am otherwise active doing all normal household chores etc . Due back to work 4 weeks so panicking a bit . Still get very tired but in past have had chronic fatigue so combination.

Is it me ?

Denise

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi denise.

Im only 4 weeks. Thought i was doing well but yesterday also struggled. My lower back ached my bum ached. Also a pain at the top of the leg on the side. Felt like i was week2 again. I think its a healing process. It may be 4 wks or 8 weeks. Ita been a big op

• Posted

Ho sassy yes I hit a four week one too but thought I was over it

Have good day did you sort bees out ?

Denise

• Posted

Yep no hive. ... they were swarming looking for somewhere. The bee man put dust that deters them all in the chimney and roofline. Haven't seen any since. Thank goodness.Thanks for caring smile
  • Posted

Hi Denise,I am 16 weeks post op and I went to Aquarobics yesterday And today I feel pretty grotty,so what do I do today,do I go to the Gym,yes I think I will but take it steady,I don't want it to beat me,and I think this is what's happening to you you will have had some good days and you think you have cracked it,I think it's telling you to respect it,my Physio said don't fear your hip,respect it,and I think It's good advice,so look forward to tomorrow,Best wishes Michael.
  • Posted

Hi Denise

I've experienced very similar problems. I'm now 10 weeks post op, returned to work 3 weeks ago feeling good and have unfortunately been struggling since. It's clearly a reaction to going from resting and initial post op recovery to then re using the operated hip. I've tried taking things a little easier but demands of work are such that I can't sit around doing little.

I'm hoping that as the hip continues to heal the discomfort will become less. Fingers crossed! Good luck.

Mike

• Posted

I'm 3 months post op and have back pain and pain in op hip because I cut an overgrown lawn with strimmer then mowed.I also tried to hunker and fell over on op side ( in grass luckily) My guess is that we have not been using a lot of muscles not just the hip ones and they need a gradual build up again.I hope your work is not too strenuous and you are able to get a phased return. I don't have chronic fatigue and I am still tired a lot of the time. So no it is not just you.

Xxx

• Posted

dear denise, 

arghhh ... same here - 

Now, I am 30 days post-op from 2nd THR ... you would think I remember right? 

yesterday I went grocery shopping with my girlfriend and tried to keep up with her pace ... you know, showing her how fast I am - I also walked to another store while she was getting the car .... 

well .... afterwards and today I don't only have aches and pains in operated but also unoperated side (is not completely healed after 6 months) - 

even my ankles hurt - 

I wanted to go to a little country store here about 400 meters away but decided that I will wait - it would be an 800 meters dash - 

maybe tomorrow ....

moving on and forward, one step, one day at a time 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

So glad to read all these posts as I have been struggling myself this week, whereas last week walking was fine and painfree, now it's not! Almost 4 weeks post-op am back using one crutch. It's good to know I'm not the only one; this site is the best 😊
  • Posted

How comforting for me to read that as..I am almost 5weeks and was doing well..but last night awful and today a lot of pain and 'clicking' noises and worried I was going backwards...so .I will look to see what replies you get....l

Ali 2

• Posted

Will also add. Good hip that is 100% ok. Is hurting. Im waddling again sad
    • Posted

My good knee has been bothering me, so I get it.  I was told that the muscles in both legs would be adjusting to a new way of walking (hopefully normally) and I would get random aches and pains in both legs.  My op side ankle has been giving me a rough time the last few days, too.
  • Posted

Thanks for all replies . This site is so brill we share our highs (putting on socks) and we share our lows ! Thanks hippie friends I already feel more uplifted people around me just don't understand the frustration .

Love and happy hopping ,limping ,skipping !!! (however today takes ypu)

Regards Denise

• Posted

Think we are both the same, I'm 8 weeks and feel as if I've hit the wall. Feel a lot stiffer in hip now than I was few weeks ago, maybe I'm doing bit much but due back in 4 weeks to work also.
  • Posted

Oh, the ups and downs with THR!  I'm at almost 8 weeks, too.  Was doing great until week 5, when, over-confident, I overdid my exercises and strained a muscle.  I think we all sort of get the "Look, Ma, no hands!" feeling at some point and overdo or sometimes there's just a sort of regression for what seems like no reason.  Yesterday I could only walk (with difficulty) with a cane and today I'm walking without one.  I'm not quite sure why.  But I've decided that it's the way recovery goes.  Not in a straight line upwards.  And you're right, it's not always pain per se, sometimes it seems just like stiffness or something that makes it difficult to walk.  Have you tried an anti-inflammatory since you began having trouble the last couple of days?  Sometimes that helps if it's inflammation and makes walking easier.  I also find ice and elevation to be good on those days when I'm having a hard time.  I've resumed my exerciese, but am careful not to overdo.  I think the exercises help some with the stiffness so I continue to do them and to walk even on not so good days.  So my answer would be, No, it's not you.  It's all of us.
  • Posted

Denise,

I am almost 6 weeks out. Just had my follow up and doctor thinks I'm progressing well. I told him about my experiences, he said everyone's experience is unique. I am beginning to forget my cane, especially in the house. I'm also starting to sleep on my side. Unfortunately, I tire very easily. Today I went food shopping and it wore me out. My bottom feels like I took a really long bike ride or someone kicked

me in me rear end. I'm sharing because I find it helpful when I hear other hippie's experiences.

• Posted

I tire easily, too.  It's getting better but I'm still not 100%.  Guess the old body is using a lot of energy to heal itself.  It's helped me, too, to read about other's experiences and find out I'm not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.