8 weeks on citalopram. Advice needed please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi...so Iv been on citalopram for 11 weeks now...3 weeks on 10mg and 8 weeks on 20mg.

I was on them for 4 years and worked great after awful side effects wore off. 5 months ago my anxiety came back and instead of increasing to 30mg my GP switched me to sertraline...it was awful and had to be taken off it due to a few things that were happening. Anyway after 2 weeks off sertraline I started back on citalopram.

It's been 8 weeks on the 20mg and I'm very up and down. I'm having more bad days than good. I had 2 really good days about 17 days ago and the dipped, but then this Friday, sat and Sunday were great again until yesterday when I dipped again and feel even worse today. Will the citalopram take more time to work? Is that why I'm up and down a lot?

Also my anxiety is different every day, different symptoms and differ in intensity and different sensations. I don't really know what's going on.

My anxiety goes up around 10 days before my period too and it seems to snowball.

Some of the symptoms I get are really strange. I can't work at the moment as it's so bad and I'm struggling at home too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Claire x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire

Yes it will take more time but good your having good days aswell I started on 10mg of Citalopram and side effects where awful then hit nettr then went to 15 as didn't want side effects going to 20 but I've been on 15 for 7 weeks now but 3 months altogether and I'm really good feel normal again so stay positive it will get better, I had to leave work with mine but I'm looking for part time now as was full time before and have a 3 year old boy so good luck it will get better for you soon x

• Posted

hi claire

i have been taking citalopram for over 5 months first month 10mg then up to 20mg for 5 weeks side affects was nasty and i had enough felt worse then i did before starting these meds so now i have been on 15 mg like you for the last month and still feel totally crap 1 day you think its starting to get better then the next few days crap again i feel 5 months on these i should of been feeling a bit better but no i am now thinking shall i start to wean myself of these as i have had enough im more depressed on these then i was without them.

• Posted

Thank you Debbie.

I'm glad to hear your feeling back to yourself. My bad days really do outway the good days at the moment. Like I said Iv only had 5 good days in the last 18 days. It's been 11 weeks now altogether since I started back on the citalopram and I don't understand why I'm so up and down?! They have worked well in the past after a good 9 weeks I'd say. Feels like 1 step forward 2 steps back. Just as I think I'm getting there BAM it rears its ugly head and I don't know why xx

• Posted

Hi marky b I'm so sorry to hear that your still having a bad time. Do u not see any improvement at all? I think it's helped with the depression for me especially with how I was before I started. I have seen some improvement in the anxiety lately but it's still debilitating on my bad days.

I won't change meds again so i hope cbt will help me too.

Are u taking it for anxiety or depression or both?

• Posted

hi claire i have had anxiety for around 20 years but learnt to live with it its stopped me useing public transport and driving as i would have anxiety bad when i would hit a traffic jam and i couldnt go anywhere it changed my life completley but i started on cit for depression as the doc told me i was depressed i think its helped a bit with the anxiety but not the depression my days go feel ok for 30 mins then crap for a few hours and so on but i feel alot worse on these meds then before i started taking them.
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. Everyone is different and reacts to meds differently. They may not be the right ones for you. It's something you should discuss with your GP.

Have u had any cbt or talking therapy before?

• Posted

Hi

I had one to one counselling and it helped a lot maybe speak to your Dr about this

• Posted

Hi Debbie. Iv just started cbt. Only had 1 session so far, it's helped in the past so hoping it will again x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.