8 weeks post op for a TKR taking antibiotics due to some bleeding on 2 areas of my incision. Has an

Posted , 7 users are following.

Bleeding in 2 areas of incision 8 weeks post op

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Linda,

Consult ur surgeon, if it is superficial which maybe due to undesolued stiches then it is not a serious. Must consult the doctor at the earliest

• Posted

Infection... Most probably TKR Post-operative infection. My advice please contact your orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible. My case: TKR right knee 2014. Infection two months later. Two deep cleanings in order to salvage the implant. Antibiotics IV and orally to no avail. Pus is still oozing out on the side of the knee. My physician recommends a two-stage, "gold standard" or revision as they a call it. Which means removal of the infected implant, a antibiotic 'spacer' to be  inserted for 4-6 weeks and then another operation putting the new implant in. I am still on Clindamycin 300mg three times a day. Pain and stiffness: Yes! But I can walk sans crutches. And I drive like the wind. I sleep well. Great appetite. Pain control: Yes. Tramadol. 50 mg max if a lot of standing walking (hopping  downstairs - I love escalators). I can also manage the pain with only half a capsule Tramadol 0.25 mg. Conclusion.  I am going to see my orthpedic surgeon this week.  I suppose the "gold standard" is the only way. I tired of all yellow pus and changing the bandages. Good luck. Bangkok-Johnny          

• Posted

I've been through the protocol and it ain't fun. Because of other issues I've had 11 surgeries on the leg but the staph was the last go round. I'm afraid its left me pretty much a cripple for life.....the upside, I'm 80 so that period of time is somewhat diminished. I had enough very expensive vancomycin IV (PICC line)to float a small ship. As I recall it was $1200 USD per session x 2 sessions daily for 8 weeks. Then after 4 months, the new prosthesis was installed.

• Posted

Jonhnny,

Im 12 weeks post pkr, just wondering what cause infections? My husband told me te be careful cuz i can still get infections.

• Posted

Hi Linda

Keep taking the ABs until the course is finished. Did the doctor take a swab from the incision for analysis?

I hope there is no infection there.

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.