9 1/2 months post LTKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been doing really well with my recovery exercising almost daily, bike, strider etc . Other days I walk for 30 mins and feel good afterwards however last Thursday I went the "extra mile" almost 50 mins and am suffering with a stiff sore knee which feels like a heavy piece of lead is sitting on I? It's alien and most uncomfortable so have been resting it best I can! Just wondering if I have caused damage at this stage or did I just overdo the walying? I'm so annoyed with myself for pushing myself. It was a good day and the park is a lovely 50 minute walk in circumference. 😢😣😠

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Just overdid it.  At 7 weeks, walked with my daughter through a mall.  That night, "balloon knee".  Checked my FitBit...8,200+ steps!!!  Never made that mistake again.  A pedometer of some kind is great.  Find out when you crossed "the line"...note the steps...back off and increase gradually.  All a learning experience.

• Posted

Yep, just overdid it. I did same. Went a mile and boom. Owwee! Back to .5mile 2x a day and better. Did that for a month and now back up to 1mile 2x a day and am ok. Ive done 2miles and its sore and 2.8 is swollen. Test yourself to see what your cut off points are. Freq smaller episodes build u up to longer. Revel in the good day you had. Dont beat yourself up. Just learn from it and adjust.

smile

• Posted

You probably did too much. Ice and elevate and work up to 50 minutes over time. Bet it was fun on your walk!
  • Posted

oh bless, soooo important to ice and rest after stepping up exercise, every time this helps keep the inflammation away from the site and avoid this kind of pain, little and often is best I am about the same time into my TKR and have discovered this the hard way! Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Nuala

Yeah you overdid it, but it's not the end of the world. With a little rest, ice & elevation it'll be good again. Just don't do the extra in one go, build up slowly.

I know it's easy to just go that bit too far but curb the enthusiasm just a wee bit.

You are very nearly there now.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thank you all for your very kind responses. I guess I overy did it. Been taking things easy simce and my knee is very slowly improving. Hard to keep a good thing down but this has been a huge lesson in patience. God bless you all and thanks again Nuala 😀😉😄

• Posted

Hi

It's annoying when this happens. Your prosthetic is not like your old knee where exercise might have improved it.

It's only a piece of tin that will wear out if it's used too much. Sorry to be so graphic but that's what I was told by the doctor

• Posted

Yup...lifespan of 20-25 years if you treat it with respect.  When I had my hip replaced, the doc told me that it would last 25 years if I gave up competitive hockey.  If I went back to the game, he estimated 3 years max.

Same ith the knee.  It's a mechanical device that no amount of exercise will make stronger.  However, those exercises are not meant for the knee but for the surrounding musculature that supports the knee.  Better strength of those muscles...longer device life.  That's why we have to avoid high impact activities...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

Cutthroat shuffleboard anyone???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.