9 days post op total hip replacement-sickness

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, I had a total replacement done 9 days ago and seem to be progressing nicely. I'm walking on just one stick-although I haven't been outside yet! I am just pottering around the house. My biggest problem is sickness. I just feel sick pretty much all the time, and need the loo lots as well. I thought it was because of the meds, I don't seem to take well to meds. I dropped all meds off once I got out of the hospital and so I have been taking only paracetamol for the last 3 days. I still feel sick all the time tho. Is this normal? Any suggestions as to what is causing it or more importantly what will stop it?

Thanks in advance 😃

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear that ! Are you on blood thinners as I know they can make you feel sick ? Are you in uk ? If so ask pharmacist re anti sickness tabs as I took those as felt nauseous . Otherwise check with gp or consultant or hospital

Take care

Denise

• Posted

This does not sound entirely normal. Have you seen your GP about it, it may be a reaction to all the meds and "body shock" but is probably worth checking. If you have been off meds for a few days they ought to be ought of your system
  • Posted

Hi and thanks for replying. I am in the uk and yes I am on the daily injections for blood thinning but I didn't think of those causing it.....hippie brain....and I wasn't sure how long it took for meds to get out of my system. I don't normally even take headache pills so I suppose my body isn't used to them. I just thought I'd I could get off meds id be ok. I have to call doctor tomoro and make an appointment for the staples coming out so I may just ask if I can have a quick telephone chat and see what he says.
  • Posted

Hi i think you need to contact the hospital! You need to explain all yo7r symptoms to them.good luck! Regards Amanda
  • Posted

I agree with the others, check with your doctor.  It could be that your body is still adjusting to the trauma.  If there are no underlying causes, and I am assuming that by "sickness" you mean nausea, there are some good anti-emetics that helped me through the early days and weeks.  I don't know the names of anti-emetics in the U.K. but I'm sure they are the same ones with different names.
  • Posted

Having a major surgery can really reak havoc on your body, plus I have heard anesthesia can effect your system a lot. That's why I opted to have a spinal instead of general anesthesia. Did you have a general? Maybe that's why your system is all upset. I sure hope it passed soon.

I'm 2 weeks out today and a friend took me shopping, never ever thought I would ever end up sitting in a chair wishing I was home while out shopping. But I had to remind myself this was a major surgery and it's going to take a little longer then a couple of weeks to recover.

Hang in there and rest is your best friend right now!!

• Posted

I didn't take any pain pills in the hospital. I was lucky and didn't need them. They did try and give me something that mad me sick. They counter acted that with a nausea pill which really worked. I mad sure from then on they didn' sneak anything else on me. I guess they figure everyone must be in pain after that surgery. You need to check with your Dr and get something for that if you still need to take your medicine. Good luck!
    • Posted

Wow, you are one strong person. I can't imagine doing this without pain meds. I guess we are all different.
  • Posted

Hi, I was exactly the same as you, felt sick all the time and peed loads. First night I came out of hospital I couldn't get to the toilet in time and peed on the floor, we all laugh about it now. Consult your doctor to be safe but mine all settled down after about 12 days.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Billiemaw, 

Welcome to our hippies family ... 

you seem to be doing really great for 9 days post-op ... 

I am 28 days post-op from 2nd THR - I came home with some kind of stomach flu - nauseated etc ... the fun stuff you don't want to deal with right after surgery - your body has gone through major surgery - eventhough you stopped taking pain medication, anesthesia can stay on the body for a bit longer and the Fragmin injestions ( making me sick) - if you are senstive, this might affect your stomach - were you okay in the hospital?   

Anti-nausea meds might be good - and definitely call GP if it takes too long - you want to get your energy back etc.

as for the frequent visits to toilet .... and barely making it ... well, it will get less frequent - your body is retaining a lot of  fluid - Last night was the first night I  slept 4 hours uniterrupted by needing to go to the loo ...was 2-3 hours previous nights -

be gentle with your self today - keep taking deep breaths 

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Aww thank you everyone. When I was in hospital they gave me morphine which made me feel awful and my blood pressure kept dropping which they said was probably due to the morphine so I was having codeine and paracetamol and anti sickness tablets, I hate the thought of all those chemicals so when I got home I thought I would try paracetamol only as I think they're probably the easiest to get along with, and really the pain isn't that bad. But yeah nausea is not great. Will call doc since the morning rush has died down 👍🏼
    • Posted

I just thought of all those diabetics doing it for life. Made me able to cope for the 6 weks
  • Posted

Haha thank you! Yes I slept 4 hours at a stretch last night and feel great for it. In the hospital I had the anti sicknesss tablets but I assumed it was for the tablets, it never occurred to me it could be the injections, which now seem to be the likely culprits. I hate that morning injection, I was a bit quick this morning and it hurt, which will make me more wary and tense tomoro.....it'll be a long 6 weeks I think x
    • Posted

oh billiemaw, I hate them too - I have to inject in the evening - blue bruises on ample belly - I am half way now and honestly, either I am not doing it right or the needles are thicker, but i am hurting my self too !!!

what the hell ? maybe I also do it faster to just get it done ... but you know what? this is my 2nd time around and I can tell you, before you know it you take the last one and it will all be forgotten - you will even tell others that it is NO BIG DEAL ....

for now it  is, sort of ...

enjoy your day 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.