9 months post tkr

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am 36 years old. Had a tkr 9 months ago. I am having problems. Still cant go up or down staris. Two lil hard pimple looking bumps now formed on knee. Thigh is 2 inches smaller then other leg. Did 4 months of therapy in still was not able to lift 5lbs. Leg muscle continue to shake when trying to lift 5lbs. Did join a gym n still the same. Leg gets stiff if i sit or lay for more then 1/2 n hour along with pain. Any body else going through this. Feel bad cuz i cant chase my 2 year old nor get on floor to play, afraid to carry her cuz of leg wanting to give out. Got fired from my job cuz of knee. FYI i have a visionare knee replacement.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

heather i know how it feels !!! been there ! though im alot older than you my god you are only a baby to have had tkr .it takes time to build up the quads its very frustrating .when you say you are in the gym ,did you get them to do a rehab program for you ?? when i started back to the gym after my revision my quads were non exsistant no way could i lift any weight it felt like a wool leg as far as lifting anything even though it felt like a lead leg .i just could not get it to strenghten my muscles were in a coma . when i went i got a rehab program first it was 5min on the bike the sit back bike it was the easiest one just to warm up then i did the step ups on the excersise step first on the good leg one leg at atime i did ten on each leg .the op leg could hardly hold my weight so i held on to the wall repeat 3 times .well it didnt take long for the step ups to feel more comfortable (not easy )but at least i was doing them i couldnt do leg press or leg raises for awhile the other one they got me to do was sit on as low a bench as i could go (was not able to go to low at the beginng) hold a light weight in my hands and stand up and sit down for 10  times x3 .those excersises will build muscles but keep up the leg straigtening by pushing the knee into the bed and holding try putting a hard board under the leg so you dont cheat .i know its a pain to do so much excersise but im afraid there is no short cut .the fact you cant use the stairs says that your leg is sooo weak .how are the bend and the straightening ??
    • Posted

also later in the gym i had to do 10 mins on the bike going up in tension starting at 1 going up to 10 and then cooling down for a few mins
    • Posted

Thank you. I did do 4 months of rehab.. I am able to bend 110 and straight like is 0.. Thats good. Its just the walking and stairs and i am trying to find another dr because my dr moves to another state , and other dr that are in his office wont c me cuz of losing job & no insurance.
    • Posted

hi heather i couldnt use the forum to answer you as it was jumping out of posts  so your bend and straightening sounds fine and maybe the bend will get more in time .sounds like your muscles are really dead mine were ,practise doing the stairs more even though you find it difficult      going down stairs . is very hard till you push yourself to do it some on here did it very easy but most likely there muscles were stronger than yours ,id go to a good physio if you can and get advise to get those muscles to wake up good luck        
  • Posted

Doesn't sound as if things are going right for you at all . . especially the thigh being shorter . .although I have to say that my thigh certainly looked shorter to me to begin with, but in the end it seems it was the way I was holding myself. . .I'm a year post TKR and do still get stiffness and vague pain in the area, plus the knee and thigh are still quite numb . . but darnit I'm 71 years old, and at 36 you really do need to be very mobile especially with a two year old!  Have you been back to your surgeon to see what he says?? Nebver did any weight lifting with the leg, but mainly worked on getting the bend and the extension . .is that OK with you???  It is strange that I've noticed that often yunger people do seem to have more problems. . maybe because there knee problems were different right from the beginning?  I know they don't usually like doing replacement s so young, unless there is a very good reason.  I do hope things improve, and I'm pretty sure that anything other than vague pain at nine months is not really right. . . . 
    • Posted

i think she ment thinner than the other rather than shorter???????????????maybe im wrong
    • Posted

Dr said before I had tkr that my knee looked like it was 83 years old. Right now im tryn to find new dr. My dr moves to another state. Then i lost my job so no insurance. Doea tour knee crack n pop more and more each day?
  • Posted

Oh gosh! That's awful, I'm 10 weeks today! Got little bit of  funny feeling on scar, scensitive!! But not worried about it! I am so pleased , with it!   Can't wait for my other to b done. What is a visionary replacement? Also are you still taken pain killers? Perhaps you need to continue  with these, also try to use stairs. Up with good , + down with bad routine  until better!!  Hope you heal soon !
    • Posted

I was too pleased with my replacement in the beginning. Felt a whole lot better then my old lnwe.as time has gone by it seems to be getting worse. No not taking pain pills anymore. The visionare is the type of knee that they put in. I still try my best to go up and down stairs at least 4x a day. Thank you. Good luck wit your knee.
  • Posted

Heather, I was 42when I had my knee done, and I am going on a different route to the others. ..

I personally don't think at 9 months you should have any significant pain, yes an ache or two here and there...I had returned to nursing after my knee replacement, and the girl in the bed next to me was also a nurse that was from a different hospital.

i am also worried about these 2 so called Pimples. I really think you need to be re checked and get everything evaluated again, you have done a good amount of rehab...I think a low grade infection should be ruled out.

good luck it's so hard when you have kids to chase, mine were a bit older.,..

• Posted

Thank you. Weird thing is I also worked for rehad in the hospital. I delt with knee replacement but it is very different when u r the patient.. They also fired me after 10 years of working there due to my tkr.
    • Posted

Yes that does suck big time, I also got given the push, because I worked in the OR, and could no longer lift the goods out of the autoclave as I also had my shoulders done,..but please do get these things checked... Good luck...
  • Posted

Are you still under the consultant who replaced your kinee or have you been discharged?  If you are still under them I would definitely make an appointment to go back to them.

Let me know how you get on.

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

Dr discharged me a few months ago. I will keep u posted when i find out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.