9 weeks fluoxetine for anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all I'm wondering if anyone can help me I'm on week 9 of fluoxetine and still feeling really rough can anyone give me an idea how long all the horrible side effects take to go ? Anxiety is worse and. I'm now dry retching :-(

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance 😀 Xx

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you need to switch medication if it hasn't helped at all by 9 weeks!
    • Posted

It's helped a little Julian had a good week last week now feel like I'm back to square one do you get blips with flu ?
    • Posted

I'm only on week four, but I had one of my first great days yesterday. I've been up and down today though sad
    • Posted

I've been like that too Julian have good and bad days and a good week then a bad one it's hard to tell if it's kicking in.... Stick with it mood swings are the worst happy then low mood it will level out for the both of us I hope xx
    • Posted

I will do Julian will keep you posted, keep

Me updated on my discussion :-) good luck x

• Posted

What dose are you on, and have you increased it lately?
    • Posted

I'm on 20mg at the moment the doctor wants to increase to 40mg at week 12 if no better don't know what to do I get good and bad days kate, how long have you been on flu?
    • Posted

These meds take a long time to work.  Can be months, so I doubt you'll be better by week 12.  But they do work well.  You do need lots of perseverance.  Took me around 4 months to start feeling well, and by 6 months felt really good.

Recovery comes in patches so your mood may well be up and down for a while.

You may get side effects again when you increase your dose.  Increasing your dose doesn't make you get better any quicker.  There's no quick fix, but it will happen.  You just need lots of patience.

I'm on Citalopram, similar to Flu, but my son is on Fluoxetine.  I've taken SSRI's for many years and have reduced from 20mg to 5mg now.  My son is on 40mg.

Just take things slowly.  You can't hurry recovery - it'll come to you in its own time.

K x

• Posted

Thanks very much Kate, I've just got to have patience.. Will stick to 20mg for another month or so and see how I go from there thanks for your kind reply made me feel a little better xx :-)
    • Posted

Your posts are always so encouraging! It's always great to hear reassurance from someone who has been on this journey.
    • Posted

Not many us do have the patience to wait, but it really is worth it in the end.  From being ill for 15 years and nothing helped, I was put onto SSRI's and recovered within 6 months.  A small price to pay.  I have my life back.

Theres many people on here that will help you through.

Best wishes 😉 xx

• Posted

Sounds like you've had a tough time too kate glad you recovered I am going to stick it out you've given me some hope.

Best wishes 😀 Xxx

• Posted

Thanks littlebluedog.  Yes I suffered greatly many, many years ago for a long time, and eventually recovered.  I joined this site over a year ago as my son became very ill last year with the same, so I've since helped him recover and joined here for support too.  He's doing well now and now just starting to come off meds.

It saddens me to see so many people suffer with this horrid illness.

Yes stick with it - it's so good when you get through it all.

K x

• Posted

Your son has a very good mother who supports him :-) ... I saddens me too so many people suffer with this ..was yiur problem anxiety too and your sons? xx. I will stick with it :-) thanks Kate xx
    • Posted

Hi, you've just had the best advice you can get via Kate - she's amazing, and so knowledgeable.

Anne x

• Posted

Aww thanks xx

Its devastating enough to suffer with this illness, but was doubly worse when my son became victim of it last year.  Broke my heart watching him.  He was off work about 4 months and took him around 6 months to start getting back on top, and is now well again.

Yes my initial problem was anxiety then depression set in too.  My son too had the same.

You'll get there xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.