9 weeks post op-ankle pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all,

I am now 9 weeks post op after having bunion surgery on my right foot. I have finally been up and walking in a sneaker for about a week now. My foot seems okay, I am still very swollen in my toes and am limping, but I am happy to at least be moving. I am curious if anyone has had any trouble with ankle pain. When I walk down the steps or bend down or even when just taking strides, my ankle gets a sharp shooting pain. I am assuming this is my muscles flexing but it is still a sharp pain that is bothersome and stopping me from walking correctly. Any advice on how to train my ankle back?

Thanks for any input and guidance,

Julie

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Your still early days. I would ask your doctor for physio so you can build your muscle and strengthen tendons correctly. You'll still be building bone etc and folic acid icreates stem cells which will do that. The physio will teach you to do exercises which will keep your alignment correctly avoiding further problems on other joints They are all part of your rehabilitation team and happy to help
  • Posted

Julie

yes, I've had problems, I'd a bilateral lapidus, Atkins etc etc, left foot fine (sort of)  right foot was a nightmare. Due to the swelling that went above the ankle, the pain above, around and top of the foot was bad, and walking downstairs had to be done one step at a time, sideways as any bending of the foot was angony.

how to get over it, physio, massage, follow the exercises, and walk as much as you can.

look up 'exercises after bunion operation' or any such words and you should  get quite a few.

keep in there, 9 weeks is still early, I feel I'm almost through it at 8 months, but still have a bit of pain and ouches, and swelling of course

caroline

• Posted

I would suggest two exercises that I've been doing in physical therapy... one is called 'ankle pumps'. For that one, you lay with your legs straight out and bend your ankle up so your foot is at a right angle to your leg, hold it a few seconds, then slowly bend it as far down as you can. I repeat it 30 times every day. In the other exercise, you take a belt, towel, whatever and put it around the ball of your foot. Hold the ends of the towel with both hands and pull, flexing your foot up at that right angle again. Hold that for 30 seconds at a time.

Hope those make sense, they really helped me with my ankle movement.

• Posted

Thanks Claire! That's really useful, I'm going to give those a go.  Wasn't offered any physio, I've have been doing fine with my own excercises.  I'm walking really well only suffering a bit with my ankles so sounds like those excercise will really help, thank you!! Wish you well on your way to lovely new pain free feet smile

• Posted

Hi Julie,

You're not alone with that awful ankle pain,mine's worse than my foot pain too and sometimes need to do the crab walk down stairs!!  I'm 9 weeks left foot and 5 months right. Had the same problems with my right foot and ankle pain, all very good now though, hopefully  yours will be soon too.  Wish you a speedy recovery and happy new feet soon! 

• Posted

Hi Julie, I'm not sure how involved your surgery was but the standard recovery period is eight weeks. Swelling should be gone by 7 or eight weeks provided you kept it elevated and applied ice.  Wearing a boot crutch can let your ankle get sprained if you don't wrap it tight for support. the sharp pains are usually the nerve filaments growing back. My surgery was also the right foot which is very difficult because I'm used to being very active and driving a lot. It's been hard to stay off my foot and elevate for 45 minutes /hour and walk with the boot crutch for only 15minutes then rest. You'd be surprized what you can get done in 15 minutes!

But from what your experiencing I would consult my surgeon and ask why you still have swelling and pain after all this time. Unless you didn't do the elevation limit activity or ice the area. Hope you progress more quickly and heal. God bless. Anne.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.