9 years Post ACL surgery-having issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! 

so i had ACL reconstruction 9 years ago and my knee has never been the same, alot of pain, locking in my knee etc. Have been back to the surgeon numerous times and to PT 4 times and was told that is normal and I am going to have to live with my knee like that. I decided to go to someone else recently to see if they have another opinion. Ran and MRI and x-ray both normal. They sent me to Pt, and since my knee has gotten a lot worse. The doctor just gave me a cortisone shot 4 days ago and since the shot I have had a terrible pain at the head of my tibia. It feels like someone is driving a screw driver into it. (this area has always been pretty sensitive since my surgery). I am writing to see if anyone has any insight as to whats going on with my knee and all and also to see if this tibia pain is something I need to call the doctor about ASAP.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lindsey

I'm sorry for your pain you are experiencing. In 2001, 16 years before completely replacing my knee joint, I underwent surgery for a completely severed ACL that occured during a horseback riding accident. After the initial pain and swelling of the tearing, there was about 2 weeks before actually being able to have the repair surgery.Since I was an avid runner, upon my Dr's OK, I was amazed to find out that even though my ACL was torn, I could continue running as long as I did not do any side to side movement which would have the knee give out on me and I would literally fall to the ground. My surgeon was excellent. And I chose to do a ACL with a cadaver donor ACL ligament. It turned out to be an excellent choice in my case because the surgery was a complete success. I remember physical therapy being difficult (but nothing like the TKR replacement PT! ). And again the outcome was excellent without any pain or discomfort and back to normal usage within weeks. Definitely no problems of any kind since the surgery other than the normal very beginning pain and discomfort that you go through with an ACL replacement .I would think that you would have experienced pretty much the same with your surgery 9 years ago. This much pain and discomfort as you are experiencing this long after the initial surgery does not seem anywhere normal, not to me anyway. I have also known others who have had the very same surgery and have not had pain like yours this far out in time from the initial surgery. I don't know whether this option is available to you, but if it were me, I would be looking at a second opinion by a different doctor altogether. Pain like yours and this "locking" up of your knees for 9 years does not sound normal.Also it just seems wrong that someone would tell you,

"Oh well, it's normal and you will just have to live with it."...yeah, I don't think so. I'm no doctor, but it seems like everything that you're experiencing is definitely worth a doctor's attention .Don't settle for living your life in pain. Find out what might of happened (perhaps during the initial surgery?) And then find out what can be done now to correct it. If you still wish to work with your original surgeon, sometimes by getting a second opinion you can take that information and go back to your original surgeon and discuss the new information you were able to obtain.

If I went on about the success of my ACL surgery it was only to illustrate about the positive outcome of how this surgery is supposed to be, and can be for you.

I hoped this helped and I hope you recieve more answeres from out group here too. I also wish you relief from your pain and discomfort Lindsey, answers to why you're having to go through this.

God's healing and Blessings, Deb

• Posted

definitely seek ansecond and even third opinion. No one should just learn to live with pain. Goodluck
  • Posted

If you have had pain for 9 years as you say, I would demand another opinion...  Please!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.