90 degree rule

Posted , 6 users are following.

after some of the discussions on here recently about the hows, whys and when's of the 90 degree rule I thought I would ask my personal oracles. Yesterday during my last hydrotherapy session I asked the physio and she said 12 weeks is usually recommended, and then take it easy with no sudden movements.  This morning I asked my consultant at my 8 week check (all signed off now) and he said 12 weeks but when trying to reach feet or ankles to make sure that I turn my knee outwards as I bend and not inwards. I hadn't heard this before but it makes sense to me.  Just thought I'd share it.  

Now back to the kitchen- I'm cooking for 12 people tonight.  Cooking three different curries so I am putting my feet up I between cooking each one.

xx Laura 

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Consultant also recommended that I go to Sports Direct to get a gel insert for the shoe on my non operated leg to simply raise it a tiny bit and relieve the pressure on the knee of the operated leg. 

As as for my second hip, he said if it isn't symptomatic at the moment let's leave it for 6 months and re x-Ray to see how it is fairing. It looks like the femur on my old side has gone through the hip but possibly fused into the socket, but, believe it or not, it doesn't hurt so we are going to leave it.

• Posted

That's mad crazy that the ball has gone through the socket & fused and it doesn't hurt. I think this alone makes you a super star on the forum.
  • Posted

I'm glad you have posted this Laura. When I went back for my 6 week check up at the hospital, I saw my surgeons registrar. I asked when I could start bending beyond 90 deg. He said Never!! which surprised me as my surgeon had told me he'd put a larger ball joint in and that I would never dislocate my hip joint. I've asked to see the surgeon who operated on me at my next check up so I can see if this was his view. It can't  be because he said I could go back to horse riding next year. So your post has put my mind at rest. Thanks
    • Posted

One of my nurses on my ward had 2 replacement hips and she got right down on the floor and bent forward to put my shoes on for me.  I can remember thinking then 'that'll be me one day'. 

Be be careful, do your exercises to tighten you muscles, and take it gently.  

As you said, best to ask the actual surgeon.

laura 

• Posted

It's interesting the differences in what we are all being told, I guess to a degree it can depend on the individuals own recovery. Well I've given myself a year for complete recovery so will continue with the exercise, as you said to tighten my muscles, and to get myself fit again. I have to say my surgeon was great he was very encouraging and positive, I can't wait to get on a horse again.

Chris

• Posted

On the advice of my consultant I have just retired from my job working with children under five which involves being up and down off the floor. It is also a very physical job, working in the outdoors, twisting, turning, jumping etc.

I asked him if it was dislocation that was dangerous in my job and he said no - apparently getting up and down off the floor all day long would result in me wearing the new joints out quicker and if I didn't want to be back to see him in 5 years then I should look after them. As I am 52 I am hoping to keep them as long as possible so am now planning a new life.

By the way, there is nothing wrong with exercise, just repetitive, every day stress and strain on the joints that could do long term damage.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I was was told no restrictions from the start, had anterior. The surgeon at my 3 week check up when I asked my list of questions told me to be as normal as possible, this is what he wants. I am 5 weeks today ( yipee) and have been bending etc to put my socks on and load he washing machine.

At hydrotherapy the physio keeps reminding me not to twist. I think it's a safety issue, she told me to get used to always turning around the rail side too for when I'm old ! Thing is before my op I used to spin around on my left leg all the time because the right was so bad. Just a rewiring issue I guess!!

🌈💌🌈💌

• Posted

Thanks Laura ...

It makes sense ... I still can't get to my feet though ...

warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.