9WPO TLHR Just Developed Pain in Lower Left Buttock

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've not posted for a while but have been keeping up with everyone's recovery and operations.

Recently, I saw a post very similar to my problem but I can't find it to check advice.

In a nut shell I am 9 weeks post op from TLHR, last week I went for a walk with husband & dog, about 1/2 a mile into walk I got a very uncomfortable pain in my lower left buttock & had to hang on to a fence for a few moments. Proceeded to walk home putting as little weight as I could on operated leg. I have been aware of a slight discomfort in the lower buttock since and it took a day for me to fully weight bare on the leg again. Taken it relatively easy until today when I tried a walk again, the lower buttock pain returned with a vengeance, made my way home, strong painkillers and bed.

Has anyone experienced pain in this area? It is quite deep into the lower left side of the left buttock & feels a little similar to the OA pain I had in that area before TLHR. I have got myself all worked up thinking I have overdone things & done something to the hip. I'd been doing really well, surgeon said I didn't need sticks after my 7 week check up and hip was feeling really comfortable.

I know it's not dosslocated because I can walk on the leg & the painkillers have relieved the pain. Just worried I have done something to the replacement.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

TJ x

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had exact same pain physio told me it was a muscle and to keep doing bittock clenches even though they felt a bit uncomfortable but can honestly say after doing them my pain has gone and touchwood all is OK hope this helps I'm 8 weeks post op xx hope all goes OK xx
    • Posted

Hi Vanessa, thanks for replying so quickly. I will do some buttock clenches tonight. The only exercise my Physio has given is leg out to the side whilst standing and leg out to the back whilst standing.

Hope you're recovery is going well.

TJx

• Posted

Hi again if you can get apps on your phone or tablet get pocket physio its really good it gives you hip exercises for all stages I have found it really helpful x I'm getting along fine thank you but still up and down days xx Think we just have to be patient xx
    • Posted

Hi Vanessa

That sounds good have just checked the app store and there seem to be 2 - is it the £6.99 one or the free one?

Linnet x

• Posted

Hi TJ

I havent had this precise area of pain but I understand how you feel as I have had various aches and pains when I have overdone things. I think because we have suffered from hip and associated pain before our ops we have forgotten that once we have got our new hip we can still pull muscles just by overstretching muscles which are trying to recover from years of misuse and then being cut during the operation. My aches and pains eventually subside (until I do it again!) but it may take a week or two. My physio said that it was important to continue to do the strengthening exercises even if we are walking/gardening/swimming etc as they concentrate on the specific muscles to strengthen and support our new hip.

Hope your pain eases soon.

Take care

Linnet x

• Posted

ps As Vanessa says buttock clenches are good - if you havent been given any other exercises by your physio try a search on the Web a lot of hospitals have exercises for post op hippies. If you need any futher help just pm me

Perhaps Rocketman could do a section on his web site ?

• Posted

TJ, chances are you have strained one of the many muscles/tendons that are in the buttocks area. I would do the P.R.I.C.E. formula and see how it feels in a few days. It's always a good idea to check with your surgeon/doctor about any concerns you have about your surgical leg.

You can google for details:

P - protect the area

R - rest

I - ice

C - compression

E - elevate

• Posted

TJ, chances are you have strained one of the many muscles/tendons that are in the buttocks area. I would use the P.R.I.C.E. formula and see how it feels in a few days. It's always a good idea to check with your surgeon/doctor about any concerns you have about your surgical leg.

You can google for details:

P - protect the area

R - rest

I - ice

C - compression

E - elevate

• Posted

Oops, didn't mean for this to post twice!
  • Posted

Hi I know what your going through, I would suggest that you have painkillers as & when you need them. Its a major op, and can take a year or more to fully recover.We are all different, thank good ness. Regards Amandah
  • Posted

I have lots of those types of pains too when I do too much, or am walking too much. It can be scary, but if it easing it is just complaining muscles and you need a rest. 

I have them, finally sit down, they ease off.

Can you get in the bath yet TJ? I found this was so good for those types of pains, really relaxing and a good muscle soak. We have to remember that we are starting from the beginning on the operated leg, it will take time for the muscle to strengthen and become more reliable. You are doing great though! You really are! These are good problems to have. We have had so many ups and downs haven't we over the past few months smile I hope it feels better soon x

• Posted

Hi Rose,

Thank you for your reply and apologies that it's taken me so long to get back to you. It's been a chaotic week and I don't know where the time has gone. Not even had chance to catch up on the forum so that must be an indication of getting back to normal and having little time to do anything for myself!

The pain in my left buttock has subsided a lot, the buttock clenches suggested by Vanessa seemed to do the trick along with a soak in the bath. Isn't that first bath wonderful! I still suffer from the odd ache & twinge here and there but nothing like the horrible OA pain from before the op. So glad I had it done. I can put a sock on my left foot myself now, bit tricky & requires a bit of contortionist movements but just being able to do that is amazing. I just need to lose the 3 stone I have gained since being so inactive over the past few years, the last stone was gained during recovery, and I'll be back to my usual self. I hope OA doesn't darken my door again.

How are you getting along?

Regards

Tania x

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your valuable replies. Buttock pain now gone, a mixture of buttock clenches, soak in bath, hot & cold compresses with rest sorted me out.

I'm quite confident with my hip at the moment, seems to be gaining strength daily. It's amazing how the slightest unusual ache/pain can turn us into a nervous wreck concerning the replacement.

Hope your recoveries are coming along well.

Regards

TJ x

• Posted

Hi TJ

Pleased to hear the pain has now gone. We often say its a roller coaster ride and thats for everyone. I had my (second) op on October 14th and was feeling pretty good but I had a couple of hiccups recently. The first was a week ago, I had been doing quite a lot of work in the house and the garden and that night I was in bed and rolled on to my side and had a terrible pain in my operated leg. No idea why it was almost like a bad muscle spasm. It was a bit sore the next day and then fine the following day. Then I went to see the butterflies at RHS Wisley last Friday (it was wonderful)  with my daughter and grandchildren so walking about for seveal hours followed by babysitting till late. All was fine till the next day when I was really stiff (muscles) Sat/Sun but today Im fine.

What Im trying to say is that we think once the pain has gone even 4 months plus that we can do anything but our hips and their muscles take longer to get their strength back (up to a year so the experts say)  so dont be surprised if you have another blip. Hopefully like me it should be a blip from which you soon recover. 😀

Best wishes

Linnet x

• Posted

TJ,

So glad your discomfort has subsided. Its amazing how muscles we never thought about can suddenly tighten up and affect everything. We naturally in our minds go to the fear of injuring our new hip. I am 6 weeks post RHR and my therapist found a very tight atea in the lower part of my hamstring. Through some deep tissue work she released much of the tension. Almost immediately i gained some muscle strength and mobility since that area was so stiff prior.

Good Luck to you in the rest of your recovery!

Lori

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.