A bit too adventuress ??

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi everyone,i,m 13 weeks post op and have been doing well.Saturday i walked up a rugged path climbing a over s style, across fields to a beautiful waterfall,no problem at all,with no sticks or aids.Sunday i took my youngest lad and his friend to the river so sst in camping chair a good bit while they playedin the wster ,lthough i did skim stones and have a paddle.Today i drove my daughter to train station,60 mile all round trip.Well now my leg is sore again and achey with slight pins and needle feeling.Its been so good getting out there doing all the things i love,i actually had times when i completely forgot i,d had surgery.So here i am legs up again giving them a break.When do you get back to completely normal ??

smile smile smile not that i,m complaining .

6 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Just realised how i spelt adventurous lol xxx
  • Posted

just realised how i spelt adventurous lol x
  • Posted

Thoughts on this seem to vary, with quotes of up 18 months. I think this depends on age and fitness and varies so much from individual. At 11 weeks I am doing more and more but have found that if I keep the "bigger" outings to alternate days I can cope Ok. Hopefully going back to work on a phased return next week
  • Posted

I was just told by my OC today, 12 months and this seems to be general consensus.
  • Posted

Hi Heather,

well done you! Can I ask if you've forgot at times you've even had surgery- do you limp at all?

best

juliet

• Posted

Blimey Heather that sounds great, I'm 7 weeks tomorrow post op and if I can do that I'll be pleased. To be honest I'm giving myself a good 10 months to a year to get fully fit as I intend to go back to horse riding. Don't rush yourself. One thing I'd like to know do you limp at all without your sticks. Well done tho it's still an achievement 
    • Posted

I was still using one crutch at seven weeks when i went out,especially in a busy place as it gave me security more than anything else,and people keep out of your way if they see you using a crutch.The improvement from 7 weeks on is amazing.Good luck with yours xx
    • Posted

Oh yes limping... i start the day finebut i notice most days by the evening i am limping a bit so mostly try to get my feet up for a while.I do hope i dont end up with a permanent limp.x
  • Posted

i did extra long walk to day with our dog cleo she is a greyhound, she was off the lead and when back on the lead just walked at my pace, but i did it all with no sticks, i am 7 weeks post op today so pleased with myself, no doubt i will notice it tomorrow lol 

• Posted

That's great 7 weeks and without sticks!! I'm not there yet but hopefully not too far behind. I can do longer walks with my JRT Duke but always need the sticks otherwise I limp terribly.
    • Posted

I've being doing quite well with walking. Something I haven't been able to do for about 9 years. I'm a day behind you. 

My physio advised me to do 2 shorter walks a day, rather than one longer. More benefit, apparently. Morning one for me is ok but afternoon one a bit of a struggle/wobble since I'm not using aids. 

Exercises really paying off. 

OC this morning was awestruck at how well I'm walking. Last thing he said to me in hospital was: sorry, but you'll always have a limp. Not true. Just a little shaky, which physio says well even out. 

Onwards, upwards, all!

Elaine x

• Posted

well done for what you have done today, and yes occasionally i do forget that i have surgery until i try to do something themn my scar stings or muscle aches, my other hip is playing up now waiting to see surgeon again 3 months then he will put me on the list to have the other one done

• Posted

My scar is sore today and my thigh muscle is aching for the first time in ages.I think i was a bit ambitious because i felt so well.I havent had any physio ( only the book they gave me) and no advice at all,only what i read on here.I,ll have a few easier days now and let it settle,but the pleasure of getting somewhere back to normal after not being able to walk to the end of the avenue where i live has made it sooo worthwhile Hope you can get it done soon so you can get on with your recovery and eventually pain free living xx
  • Posted

Hi Heather, perhaps you really pushed it too far with all of that, but I can put socks on after 7 weeks without the sock slip..dont it twice now, hardly the same but who knows where we all stand, the physio people lie to us, and keep us, like mushrooms, in the dark and leave it up to ourselves to gauge how we are going, this forum heple us in so many ways, to make the right choices, do or not do , but just be careful....   Kind regards Mr Ian.
    • Posted

i still have to use my sock slip as the left hip is now playing up so cant bend that leg much, i have been very lucky not needed physio my consultants says best physio is walking so just walking the dog to the zoo parking area is good for me

• Posted

funny you should mention the sock slip,as thats the one thing i still use on occasions mainly because its such an effort trying without and it seems to pull my back about when stretching.
    • Posted

Hi Ian,

what is this sock slip that people are talking about. Is it the long handled shoe horn that I was given in the hospital ?

thank you in anticipation, anything to make life easier.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Heather --- good grief - you did really well - reading about all the things you did would put me on the couch even without having had THR .... 

I love my sock slip too .. my other hip needs THR now too,so yes, so much easier to put them on - even with this warm weather, my feet are stll cold --- 

wishing you a good night 

• Posted

Hi Jackie, the Occupation Therapist supply them, it is a strip of plastic that has traw strings attatched to it, you slip your sock over it, then slip your foot into it, and pull it up your leg with the drawstring, they are quite good, but practice is needed, you can get TEDs on with it but is a struggle if they are new, better once they have been washed couple of times, just ask for one...

Hope you get one soon... Ian.

• Posted

Hi Ian,

thank you for your reply, funny enough I went into a cupboard for my bikini

might as well take advantage of not being at work !

and I found one they had sent me home with, but being in la la land had forgotten about it.

will try on with stockings later, will let you know how I get on.

take care and thank you once more Jackie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.