A Farewell to a Young Girl, of 14 - Very Touching 'Freak' Accident.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am hoping I can post this article just to let all my friends know, and the girl was a friend my own daughter, also aged 14. It is always difficult time with funerals, but when they are so young, it really hits us hard. My daughter only spoke to Emily the day before the accident, she was so shocked when she heard what had happened, in less than 24 hours later!

The accident was a freak one, and should never of happened, but I would like to share her funeral and farewell with my friends, on how well she was liked by all her friends.

Links to our local newspaper, and all the coverage from her funeral this morning.

'She was the perfect daughter' - Emily Gardner's parents pay heartreaking tribute

Mum Debbie and dad Clive have paid a tearjerking tribute to their much-missed daughter Emily, from Gloucester.

Read more: http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/perfect-daughter-Emily-Gardner-s-parents-pay/story-26547124-detail/story.html

Emotional farewell at funeral of Emily Gardner at Gloucester Cathedral

Family and friends, including hundreds of fellow pupils from Chosen Hill School in their uniforms, attended the service.

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Emotional-farewell-funeral-Emily-Gardner/story-26547728-detail/story.html

The Funeral of Emily Gardner at Gloucester Cathedral in pictures

Final farewells paid to 14 year old Emily in emotional service

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/pictures/Funeral-Emily-Gardner-Gloucester-Cathedral/pictures-26547698-detail/pictures.html

Regards,

Les.

--

To the moderator: I do not mind you removing this message, if it is breaking any rules, I have told many of my friends on here, but not her funeral being today and how big her sad farewell off was.

3 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How 'bone shakingly' sad...my condolences to the family concerned.
  • Posted

You all must be feeling very tender and raw emotionally Les. I really feel for you. It was brave of you to share this. (((***Hugsies***)))
  • Posted

I think it needed to be shared, to be honest - I would like to put together to tribute myself. The problem is copyright infringement especially with music, etc.

It was such a big shock to all of us, and her friends at school - I guess the song "Angel" by Robbie Wiiliams, really said everything about her. Anything like this happening to anyone is shocking, Jess has taken this quite well considering how she was when I had cancer, but she was only 8 back then, and had just lost one grandad, then I had cancer then she lost her other grandad to an heart attack, all in a space of under 10 years!  

My condolences to Deb, Clive and Emily's younger sister and brother - Emily looked so content and happy in the family photograph - A very sad day for all that knew her.

• Posted

Do you know about our candle lighting group? I just lit one for her and I'll send you the link. 
    • Posted

That's something I never knew existed... and thank you! Much appreciated Georgia.
    • Posted

It's for our little group and also for anyone in patient. I started it and George is really enthusiastic about it.

I know that lighting a candle won't bring her back but it's a way of sending light to people and into the world, and experssing ourselves deeply because our thoughts are powerful stuff.

Er, you haven't seen this side of me have you! cheesygrin

• Posted

Thank you! Georgia much appreciated! smile
  • Posted

People keep asking me how come she was so well known. You would only understand the answer to this question if you knew the School Academy she attended.

On the day of her farewell, the streets of Gloucester were lined up that much, you would have thought someone from the Royal family had passed away. People that did not even know her even stopped to see her farewell, that is how touching the girl had upon people. Emily will never be forgotten, not even in my lifetime - let alone her parents and sister and brother.

If I said over 1,000 people lined the streets it would probably under estimating the crowd.

I have started to create a special remembrance for her, three words wraps Emily up in just a single quote "Kindness is Contagious" - and that is how people will remember the girl in our hearts.

• Posted

Amazing Les! My heart is expanding from reading that and I'm sure everyone's will.

"Kindness is Contagious" Did you coin that phrase?

• Posted

Hi Georgia,

No, I found it on 'Google' when looking for rembrances for young children, okay she was a teenager, but to many of us she was and still is a child.

I came across the phrase, and thought it suited the design I am working with and because I require copyright authorization, for the whole lot to work correctly. Which I will place in the credits at the end. The whole presentation is 5 minutes long, and contain numerous quotes from her friends and family.

It hits us hard, because we lost our 14 month old nephew many years ago, I think seeing such small coffins being carried in to places of worship is what gets to me. We lost our nephew, and then his sister started Infants school, only a few years passed and our nieces best friend died of meningitis at the age of 7. I guess some people would get used to it, but we have never got over it at all - then when you see some one close pass away, it brings back all those memories again.

• Posted

It's such a perfect phrase to use and what you're doing is admirable. I'm feeling without words at the moment from memories so know that I feel and understand. 
    • Posted

You must tell George about this. 
    • Posted

I haven't seen George on in ages... I was wondering where he was. The last time I spoke to him was on Facebook Messenger.
    • Posted

Er it could be ever so slightly my fault because I introduced him to a poetry site I'm in and he's writing a lot of poems. I'll let him know about this right away.
    • Posted

Ah, so I can blame Georgia for something, for once! wink

There was actually more to this story than what most people do not know. The press and TV stated that Emily and two of her friends went on that day, the original plan was Emily wanted to take another friend of hers, but her parents had made previous plans. So, you can imagine what the parents and the girl that did not go on that day must have felt when they heard the news, and what had happened.

It's the same with us we always let Jess go out with her friends to Cornwall and Devon, the trouble is you cannot know what is going to happen - you always say goodbye and see you in a few days, or photos uploaded via mobile.

• Posted

I'm a parent so I'm with you all. Nothing on earth could prepare me for it or help me to deal with it.

Yeah sorry I sent George into the wonderland of poetry. Sheesh anyone would think I'd sent him down t'pits. I've emailed him about it.

• Posted

My niece had to deal with her brother and her friend dying before she reached the age of seven, she had to have counselling for years even in her teens. She eventually got over it, but for a child its very different than an adult. She asked her mother when she had her next baby would she die! It really did mess her up, but dealing with death of her brother at such a young age must of been hell, for her.
    • Posted

Yes I somwhat agree with that yet I'm no nearer to being able to deal with it at my age.
    • Posted

I found it hard when I lost my parents, my mother in 2004 and father in 2008. Then of course, I had cancer the same week as we buried my dad. I had a phone call on the Friday, for surgery on the Monday.

My daughter was only 8 back then, she didn't want me to go to hospital because she had associated death with hospitals. Even though I told her many times I would be back home sooner than she knew it.

What did not help the matter was she was being bullied by 2 girls at the time who both knew I was in hospital - the one said to our daughter "You're dad is leaving you because you are so nasty!" - of course that did not help.

• Posted

one of my granddaughters was bullied for a few years by a particular girl who led a little group. Children just as adults can be very cruel.
    • Posted

I do not think we ever really get over the death of a loved one from one cell big and upwards.
    • Posted

I thought I would share a piece of artwork that I put on Emily's RIP page on Facebook. I gave it to my daughter to put up, but she tagged me in it as the designer.

Basically, it portrays many of the messages that were made by family members in art. With me, it takes a little longer to design something like this because it is produced on a huge scale, then scaled down for internet use.

Anyway, it was my way of saying farewell to such a short life that brought so much joy and happiness to many people.

• Posted

That is beautiful Les. Although I never knew here, given the context, I was significantly moved and offered her my farewell. She seemed for to smile and nod a this fellow. Sentimental old so and so tgat I am.

Have I really been away these past two months with hardly a post? i have been in the wars. A misadventure with a prescribed medicament. I will tell you more later. This reply is really for Emily.

• Posted

Les...your design is beautifully done!  Congrats!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.