A Fib and Colonoscopy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ok my dear A Fib friends I need to hear about your experiences with having a colonoscopy after being diagnosed with A Fib. I'm having one done in early November. I've had one done before I was diagnosed but this time is a little different as now I'm on medication for it. So if you could please let me know how you did with this procedure and what medications you were on at the time. Thanks a bunch everyone.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandie me again I had an attempted colonoscopy but it had to be stopped as they discoverd I had diverticuler disease I only had gas and air as they didn't want to sedate me but had a ct scan instead , they stopped my warfarin for a few days before but had bisoporol as normal hope it goes well for you , Bea

• Posted

Bet you sail through it I would have if not for the diverticuler Sandie let me know how you go 👍Bea

• Posted

Just had one with no prob.

I'm on beta blockers warfarin etc. You'll be fine.

• Posted

Hi didn't they stop your warfarin before the colonoscopy ?

• Posted

HI. I'm not sure why having a colonoscopy would have anything to do with having AF. I have AF and have never been asked to have a colonoscopy. Are you sure the two are connected, what with one being the digestive system and the other the heart.

• Posted

Hi Gary no the heart gastric and brain are all connected by the Vagal nerve there's a post on here somewhere saying lots about it very informative too

• Posted

SInce iv been on the fodmap diet for my ibs my irregular heart beat as much improved 😊

• Posted

The prep for the colonoscopy can severely interfere with the medication you are taking. Electrolyte loss or unbalanced electrolytes can worsen or cause new heart arrhythmia also the stomach and/or intestines have the vagus nerve running through them which if triggered/stimulated by something such as food or maybe even a colonoscopy can cause some people to have an A Fib attack. There is lots of info on this forum regarding this association with food and A Fib and the vagus nerve and A Fib.
    • Posted

I had a cardioversion 15 months prior to my colonoscopy and was in sinus rythym. The probe stimulated my vagus nerve and my BP dropped to 40/29 and my heart rate to 30bpm. Panic stations in the theatre as they pumped drugs into me. Later when I started to walk up a slope I realised that I was back in AF. 
    • Posted

Hi sandi, thanks for your clarification on why a colon investigation could interfere with the heart ryhthm. I had no idea. Also thanks to other members (bea28340) for input. I still need to ask though, is a colonoscopy helpful in treatment of a heart condition or is it for another problem? Seriously, I might sound stupid but I really don't know. I've got AF and mitral regurgatation and have my second appointment with the cardio doc on friday. I've got some questions for him that I didn't have first time with him cos nobody has really told me whats wrong with me, but since I saw him for """5mins""" last time, (june)  I've been put on 7.5 mg bisoprolol, 1.25mg digoxin and warfarin. My GP just says take the meds! I don't really know if I'm really that bad , doc says I must take the warfarin cos clots in my heart. Sorry for long talk but you lot on this site seem to know a lot more than me through experience.

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy with absolutely clean results. I was taken of Xarelto and put on Lovastatin for the procedure. No complications that I am aware of. Good thing to have done.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm on the anti arrhythmia drug flecainide though and it can be very touchy with electrolyte loss though.

• Posted

No problems. My gastroenterologist had me take my medication as usual.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Hummm this is interesting as I've been told to go off my anti arrhythmia drug flecainide the day before. I think it can be a problem with electrolyte loss that the prep can cause. I have to be VERY careful with this and take gastrolyte to make sure they stay stable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.