A good Blood Thinner

Posted , 11 users are following.

Can anyone suggest a blood thinner without problems?. My heart doctorTells me to get on Eloquen but I won't with all the bad things talked about on TV.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

From what I know, all blood thinners are made of basicly the same stuff, because they are designed to do the same job. So if someone has a problem with one, they will most likely have a problem with the others. Every medicine has side effects, but not everyone wll get them. It's like being alergic to peanuts, some peope are dealthy allergic, and others can eat them all day long.

I'm in the UK and I am on Warfarin. I've had not problems with it, and I take it every day, at the same time (within an hour) at a dosage percribed by blood levels. 

What are you on now, and why are you wanting to swtich?

• Posted

I only take 81 mg asprin now but since A-FIB in June the doc said to try a blood thinner. I think I MAY try Warfrin. At least it has an antidote........I have cked on others.

Thank you so very much for responding.neutral

• Posted

WRONG...THEY ARE ALL TOTALLY DIFFERENT. MISINFORMATION IS DANGEROUS.
  • Posted

My doctor gave me a choice of either warfarin or rivaroxaban. I chose rivaroxaban. No blood tests. No side effects. And less travel insurance than if you have warfarin which needs blood tests.
  • Posted

I have been taking Apixaban (Eloquis) for the past year with no probs to date. I was very reluctant to take any blood thinners but due to the high risk of stroke associated with PAF and after much research I decided this was the safest and is as good if not better than Warfarin and no frequent blood tests.
    • Posted

You have given me something to think about. I like how you  did alot of research and no blood test. 
  • Posted

Hi David, I pretty sure that a blood thinner without potential side effects doesn't exist.

I too have been on Apixaban now for almost a year without problem (except of course for when I cut or scratch myself and it takes ages to stop the bleeding-no biggy though!!)

I did quite a bit of research before choosing Apixaban (which is what was recommended to me).

There are pros and cons for Warfarin and the newer type thinners. 

I guess Warfarin is tried and tested, but requires regular blood tests and some people have significant difficulty in maintaining the correct levels in their system, so regular blood tests are required.

Vitam K is an antidote to Warfarin, and can be administered to reverse the effects of Warfarin should you have a significant bleeding episode.

The newer thinners require no testing, but also, as yet, have no antidote to reverse their effects. My understanding is though, that an antidote is not too far from being released.

New thinners can also have a bit of a negative impact on some of your organs though.

I'm young(ish), 49 and apart from having had heart failure, am in pretty good shape, which is why I went for apixaban.

My sister-in-law, who has a PHD in Pharmacology and lectures trainee nurses on this topic, says that she would've gone with warfarin because it has an antidote, it has been around for a long time and is tried and proven.

I guess when all is said and done, life's a gamble and your need to weigh up the potential risks verses benefits and take your age and health into account and go with what you think is best for you.

Good luck with it all, hope this helps.

• Posted

I have not heard so much common sese mixed with knowlege in awhile. Thank you sooo much.  I will investigater Apinaban and then if that's not it I will use Warfin because it has an antidote. This is what a parmacy guy told be also.

I have been hardheaded worring about this for a while. One less worry is GOOD.biggrin

• Posted

Not sure if I've answered you before but Pradaxa DOES in fact have a reversal that came out last October.  It's the only one of the newer thinners that has a reversal. 

• Posted

Re: the antidote issue. When I went back to my doctor I initially told her I had decided on warfarin for this very reason. But after talking with her and reading up more about it I changed my mind.

In the ROCKET AF trial, rivaroxaban was at least as good and tended to be better than warfarin at preventing stroke and Rivaroxaban also significantly lowered the risk of bleeding in the brain and head.  There are pros and cons with everything and it was my choice to have no blood tests and no special diet. i.e eating a low vitamin k diet. i love my greens and nuts!!!! Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Posted

Hi David I am on Apixaban which I have been taking for over 2 weeks, So far so good, after all the problems I have had with medication. This does upset my tum a bit but not enough to worry about. I have taken Rivaroxaban but after only 4 days I had a bleed. I have also got travel insurance without a premium being added.

So I am hopeful things will go well.

• Posted

I am beginning to think ......after thoughtful consideration of all such meds....that my vascular and heart doctor my be right in choocing Eloquist.  I am still reluctant to start of this journey.eek
    • Posted

David believe me I don't want to be on this journey either, sometimes I think the "cure" is worse than the illness but if we decide not to keep trying then  we must face up to PERHAPS having a stroke.

I hope it goes well for you and you make the right decision for you.

• Posted

Yes, I know you are right. A stroke is not something yoy risk, especially if it runs in your family.

So far Ellequist  Does this med require blood test?

• Posted

I don't think so. I have to have a full blood test next week as then I will have been taking the medication for a month and the Cardiologist is just checking that all is well, but that is probably because I had a bleed on Rivaraboxin. There isn't a family history of Strokes but I believe my age is against me!!!
    • Posted

Hi david I am taking Eliquis and no blood test is required.
    • Posted

Oh, thank you that makes me feel better. I thank I need to take the med, Does it have any side effects for you?

Thanks again,

Dideaavid

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.