a 'minty' removing sensation around liver, aches and dull pain.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Throughout my early and mid-twenties I had a very serious drink problem that resulted in having an extremely high liver count, being advised to reduce, then give up alcohol for a prolonged period, which I did, and it recovered. Since then, I have had to manage my alcohol issues, with intermittent abstainence and more invigorating ways of leading life, in an attempt to distract my mind from what may be considered emotional/mental issues.

For the last 7 months I've been in China (speaking only English, this presents some issues seeking medical advice) and apart from semi regular binges lasting a day or two, a couple lasting up to a week, I generally stay completely sober for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. With the sensations I am experiencing around my liver, it is causing some concern, it almost feels like a 'minty' pins and needles sensation around it at times, concertrating in the area behind the lower rightside of my chest, I sometimes have the typical aches and the indication of swelling and or process of reduction of swelling around the liver. 

My main inquiry is, every morning I drink 2 whole lemons squeezed into 550ml of water (then do not eat anything for up to 2 hours) follwed by taking two milk thistle tablets after breakfast, in the evening I take 2 large cloves of fresh garlic and 1 or 2 more milk thistle tablets, (on Saturday and Sunday I skip the lemons in the morning) throughout the day I mainly drink water pr yasmin tea, though I have about 4 cans of coke a week and about 5 coffees. Anyone with experience of what I call 'flushing the liver' could this be causing more harm than good or is it just a little too much and needs to be reduced?

My food diet is a mix of fruit, veg meat and rice, with about 1 or 2 fast food meals a week. Also, I am aware that my occasional binges are a bigger issue than the actual question I'm asking, I understand that aspect very much.

Thank you.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure what your question is but I think you already know the answer, you said yourself that you had problems with your liver at an early age and were worked then that you needed to become more body conscious, you did for a while and your numbers went down, this is good but then like most people you think its OK to go back to drinking by using the excuse that your having breaks, maybe you are sadly one of the few that's liver cannot cope with alcahol even if your just binge drinking which it sounds like you are, correct me if I'm wrong.

No amount of fruit and milk thistle will keep your liver safe if its not strong to start off with.

You also don't say how old you are now so it gives an idea how long you have been abusing it.

You mind find me harsh, but not as harsh as when your Dr tell you you have liver diseases

• Posted

That's okay, I don't find you're being harsh, though I had put 'my main inquiry is' and asked whether what I was doing was causing more damage, but I can see how it may have been confusing, like I said I'm trying to find more invigorating ways to lead life, with the intention of getting to a stage where I can give up alcohol completely and forever, until I reach that secure mindset and regain complete control again, I'm trying to create a balance, because if it was just as simple as saying "I'll just stop" than the variable levels of addiction would cease to be an issue.

Though, my question was, is the regime I am using of two whole lemons, 3 to 4 milk thistle tablets and two cloves of garlic a day too abrasive for a damaged liver....

Thanks for responding, I very much appreciate it, and I'm 35. 

• Posted

i agree with alexandria i feel u know what to do about your liver keep getting help from your doctor keep on wth a healthy diet wish u luck
  • Posted

You have to check with your stomach ( with a gastrocopy) to see if the lemon has created anything to your stomach . I used to drink a lemon daily 

for my liver and the doctor told me to make a gastroscopy which showed that my stomach was full of wounds despite the fact that I had not any sign of it . The problem was solved with my stomach after one month therapy.

• Posted

Sorry for delay in response, 

What had it created in your stomach? 

I always siv all the pulp out, but did you get a build up of something? 

thanks you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.