A nice break without Broad Band

Posted , 3 users are following.

We have been on holiday fr two weeks now and believe it or not, no internet. Sometimes the lose of this distraction can be a good thing, it lets us assess our own needs and requirements to control our own Mental Health, Needs.

It has been a busy holiday visiting places where I used to walk  when I was younger and that has brought back some very bitter sweet memories, That has helped me prepare for my disabilities as they become worse in old age as I am now sixty six years old. My memory is still getting worse and I wanted to touch base with my past life choices and any future activities that I will undertake in my final years.

We still have several days left and we will visit Scottish Castles that we both visited when I was fit.

In life especially with Depression we need to consider and adjust our lives in a practical, full and fruitful way and make adjustments in our ideas that can help us in some small way address our needs and be able to control our moods when we find things have become unpractical in our lives.

I still would love a power boat and the medics feel it may be a good interest, even when the body will need adaptations to fulfill that dream.

We will go to the Boat Show next month and work on that dream, adaptions need to be considered. We need to try !!! Disability can be so expensive.

BOB

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a good vacation. Maybe you can rent the kind of boat you like
    • Posted

Was suprised we need to take several courses on how to drive the thing and use all the technology that comes with the boat.

We also need to get a course on Radio so we can transmit on VHF.

All is more complicated than what we realised. My Wife will also be taking the courses as well. That could be a problem with me and my conjenital short term memory problems.

We are attending the Boat Show in Glasgow next month to see if the boat model can be adapted for my disability as I have problems getting off the thing because of my disability.

BOB

• Posted

A lot of work and study for you to drive this boat but well worth it . sounds like a very achievable goal
    • Posted

Yes I hope so g

I trained as a MN Engineer as a teen and failed it, this is an easier pathway and it will set me well as it is a wish I have had for fifty years.

Yes it is just a small craft, it is not a set of complex examinations it will just allow me to fulfill a wish to go out to sea in my own craft

BOB

• Posted

Good luck with your dream, my late husband always wanted a boat, we got a motor boat after looking at loads all over the UK, when it arrived and was put on its mooring two days later we went back and it had sunk, we were going to stay on it that night too. Due to his illnesses he struggled getting on and off too, Insurance coughed up as it wasn;t our fault, son found another not such a good spec as the last, a lot of work during the winter and trying to beat his illness. We both passed the radio licence spent most of the day in lectures then look the test in the afternoon, we were told there and then if we passed. You can take mock ones on the intenet I think, I had one lesson on boat handling etc, i did most of the ropes, tying onto the bouy and hard heavy work he did the steering I had goes at handling too but it took it;s toll on his health getting so tired, I struggled with the responsibilities of everything ended up having panic attacks as I felt responsible for the boat, him and eveything else so we only had a few trips out to sea, stayed on her quite a few nights too. I don't want to ruin your dream as i do not know what your disabilities are and what size boat you are looking for. If it is just one to blast around in and putting it in off a trailer when you want to use it should be fine but larger ones cost a lot of money and need a lot of work. Enjoy your time at the boat show and I wish you all the best with your adventure. Don't be put off by my experiences. At least my son caught the bug he now has his own motor boat. Trouble is I just can;t get on it.

Good luck. the boating people are all so friendly and helpful too. 

• Posted

Thanks tina

My disability is quite extensive and we are looking for advise on adaptations., Looking for on with 1 motor about four to six berth. We have been advised to have a survey done before purchase. It may be not feasable for me, I will see at the show what can be suggested. As you say age is the problem, we are like derby and joan 

BOB

• Posted

Hi Bob

Yes definately get a survey as that was what the insurance company based their reasons on after lifting her from the bottom and doing tests etc it was something not picked up on the survey. Will you be keeping her on the sea or canal. Ours was a 4 - 6 berth, some have platforms at the back with rear access so you don;t have to climb on board plus depends if it will be moored on a jetty or swinging mooring. Which part of Scotland are you planning to keep her? Sorry lots of questions. People make it all look so easy but I found it hard work, might be an idea to hire one for a holiday to see how you get on before spending lots of money. Luckily I managed to sell her quite quickly after my husband death as I just couldn't face going back on her.

Tina

• Posted

Hello tina

We will keep her in a nearby Marina in Northumberland until we get our courses sorted. Then we will take it through the canal system to Glasgow and then look for a Marina near Ayr so we can explore the Scottish Islands and coastlines. When we attend the Boatshow we will decide if all is possible because of my disability. We will be looking for electronics to make it easy to operate, a new boat is not feasable so it will need to be second hand with Auto Pilot. We are looking at four to six berth with two rooms, one for a bedroom. I understand they are making models with a double bed that is pulled down from the ceiling.

We are considering a hire before purchase. The problems are adaptations and taking our courses on adapted models. We have been advised to take Part 1 Powerboat first before we buy, It will be the Instructors boat we understand. Then we will take the Radio VHF then do Part 2. We may take the Night Time course as well on our own vessel. 

It is all very hypothetical at this time as I will need some really big adaptations. 

What model did you have ? we are looking at the Parker 800 craft I think it is called. I work on the principal that to plan for a new hobby keeps me sane, whether it cmes to nothing is just power to the course. I just forget the failures and go for some other hobby. Hazel is understanding with my moods and activities as I reasearch a hoppy then when I find it unpractible will look at somthing else. It is all to do with keeping that positive mood, and keeping me occupied.

BOB

• Posted

I'll get back to you on boat name it was a fairline can;t remember the number etc as the info is all on the main PC not my laptop I'll see if I can private message you some photos can; t guarentee just not feeling up to much positive stuff this evening. You seem to of done a lot of homework on this which is very important. i hope you manage to get your dream, Ours was moored on the West coast of Scotlland didn't manage to sail that far as ran out of time. We were going to do a diesal engine course too which was a day just in case. I'll try tomorrow for you. x 

• Posted

Well thats a bit pathetic, can't seem to upload images in a private message and that picture is so tiny you'd need a magnfying glass to see it. At least I tried so won't put up anymore. Sorry about that. I assume if you are planning to explore the scottish islands you will have to have a navigation system, radar etc. Tried looking up Parker 800 craft the cabin looks quite roomy but photos can be quite deceiving on size as we found out once actually looking at them as I get quite claustraphobic. I do so hope you get this off the ground well in the water lol. Keep me posted on how you get on it would be great to hear a positive outcome when it comes to boats. If no when you get to the West coast of Scotland give me a message and maybe we could meet up somewhere.

• Posted

Hello Tina

Thanks for the picture it does enlarge.

We were looking at your model about a month ago in Northumberland the owner had purchased it from Crete.

The Parker 75 has four berths on the level with a third space or a skipper room aft.

I will keep you informed

Thanks

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.