A possible cure for BV?

Posted , 26 users are following.

Okay, I'm very excited about this:

There's a new-ish product called Balance Activ which is available in the UK - I got mine from Boots this morning - it cost £9.99 for 7 applications - it's a vaginal gel clinically proven to treat BV.

When I first heard about it I just thought it was another dud product you'd have to order online from a dud company trying to make money from our misery.

But if you Google the name like I did - you'll get links to videos on youtube with Dr Chris Steele (from This Morning) endorsing it, as well as that lady doctor who does the 'Embarassing Illnesses' TV prog on Channel4.

It sounds very very promising. I'm starting the treatment tonight and will post on here in the next few days with an update.

If you do nothing else, check out those vids - just to hear someone respected talking openly about BV is heartening.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

(Just wanted to say I didn't put the links to the youtube vids here because I expected they'd be removed, but if you type 'Balance Activ' in the search bar of youtube, you'll find them.)

Okay, last night was my 4th application of Balance Activ, and I'm noticing a slight improvement in my symptoms so far (I don't get the irritation some women get with BV, but I do have a thin watery discharge with an unpleasant odour).

There's definitely less discharge, but it hasn't gone altogether. Because the BA gel is watery and I use it at night, the next morning I have some liquid on my pants, but as the day goes on, there's a lot less discharge than there usually is for me.

The odour is less potent too.

So no miracles to speak of, but an improvement. And I still have 3 more applications to use.

The aim of the gel is to restore and preserve a lower pH in the vagina so the healthy bacteria that we need in there can grow and out number the unhealthy ones. So I guess this doesn't happen overnight. I'll post back here when I've finished the course towards the end of this week.

Is anyone else out there trying this? It'd be good to hear your experiences if you are.

Health and happiness to all

x

• Posted

Hun Kaitlin.

My canestbalance has just arrived and I haven't started using it as of yet.

Tested positive for BV and so am planning to use BV gel.

I have seen and heard that the gel can cause a stinging pain. Have you expierenced this at all?x

• Posted

Hi there Kaitlin.

I hope the gel is still improving your situation! let us know how you are getting on. Would this be the gel that has just started being advertised on telly in the last month or so...it seems very new! I hope it works long term and not just some quick fix. I shall go and find the vids on youtube with Dr. Chris.

Could this be what we have been waiting for, my body doesnt want any more antibiotics with all the side effects they bring I dont know what is the lesser of the two evils...the joys of being a woman hey!

I am happy as hell to find I am not the only one with this problem. none of my friends seem to be aware of this condition, and look at me as if I am paranoid or just making it up when I tell them about it.

I send my warmest wishes to all fellow sufferers,

Sonia smile

*fed up of having pongy pants*

• Posted

Just an update:

Balance Activ didn't work as well as I hoped it would. I applied it every night for 7 days, and yes there was an improvement - but not 100%, especially after I stopped using it. I've used it since then, maybe every 3-4 nights-ish, and the day after using it things are discharge and odour-free (I don't suffer with the itching symptom), so as a temp fix it's good, just depressing when it comes back!

So I bought Acidophilus capsules and am taking about 5 a day, along with folic acid. Again, there's an improvement, some dry days (which never happens to me) but then often a very damp day following it.

I know it can take time to replenish the good bacteria, so I'll keep going with the acidophilus. I'm thinking of inserting the capsules vaginally, which I think is fine so long as they're made of geletin, which dissolves in the body. Or you can soak a tampon in live yoghurt containing acidophilus and sprinkle the contents of an acidophilus capsule on before inserting.

Seems there are 2 important things in naturally treating BV:

1. Replenish good bacteria (so that's where acidophilus comes in)

2. Balance pH of the vagina, to support the good bacteria (what Balance Activ aims to do - but there are some home remedies like apple cider vinegar in your bath water - there's lots of info online if you Google. I'm avoiding adding links here because they don't always make it past the moderators)

How's everyone else doing?

I hope if anyone has any experiences (good or bad) they feel they can share.

Peace and good health, ladies!

• Posted

[quote:f9f45771f4=\"Kaitlin\"]Okay, I'm very excited about this:

There's a new-ish product called Balance Activ which is available in the UK - I got mine from Boots this morning - it cost £9.99 for 7 applications - it's a vaginal gel clinically proven to treat BV.

When I first heard about it I just thought it was another dud product you'd have to order online from a dud company trying to make money from our misery.

But if you Google the name like I did - you'll get links to videos on youtube with Dr Chris Steele (from This Morning) endorsing it, as well as that lady doctor who does the 'Embarassing Illnesses' TV prog on Channel4.

It sounds very very promising. I'm starting the treatment tonight and will post on here in the next few days with an update.

If you do nothing else, check out those vids - just to hear someone respected talking openly about BV is heartening.[/quote:f9f45771f4] hi there ive used ba and lady balance which is kind of the same thing but in tablet form but what goes in must come out if u know what i mean these things work short term but im still looking on net for more ways to deal with it good to know its not just us but lots of women suffer this just not many speak of it

• Posted

Hi there

I tried it too and there at first seemed to be a bit of improvement, but it stung quite a bit initially upon application and ultimately failed to cure the condition.

• Posted

I have just brought balance activ today. I will let you know how I get on

• Posted

I use this whenever I take anti biotics,which can cause thrush.It really works to prevent it coming on!
  • Posted

I suffered from Bacterial Vaginosis for about a month.

It was one of the worst things I had to put up with and I felt extremely self-conscious about it, considering I

have a boyfriend too, the problem seemed to put me off doing anything sexual with him.

I wasn't too sure on how to tackle this problem, I used vaginal washes to see if that worked, but it never.

So then I searched up on the 'Tesco' website 'Bacterial Vaginosis' and 'Balance Activ' came up.

I ended up buying it.

On the same day that I applied it, I could feel and smell a difference, I was completely astonished.

I have became more confident because of this and would recommend it to anyone who suffers from BV.

It works really well in a short amount of time.

• Posted

I recommend this gel treatment to anyone having or think that they have thrush !

I cannot count my gp visits , gynaecologist visits , visits to the family planning clinics under the guise of Thrush - personally I think this word is used rather too loosely. I have taken days off to attend hospital appointments undergone scans but worst of all this BV affected my sexual health I felt dirty unwanted no confidence in the sex dept. and had totally given up when like lots of you I went on a search.

I came across the new product to me at least and of course I thought its just another reincarnated med to make more money for pharmaceuticals only it gave me a new lease of life. Intently listened and watched to the Doctor on a short clip advising on this product , went ahead and bought it and started using it for the next 7 days and OMG ! What a difference this gel made less occurrence of the fishy smell by a large degree, no more itching , I have not spent any more money on vaginal hygiene products nor used up annual leave days and days off to get the same treatment ( that didn't work for me ) of countless no.s of antibiotics.

I feel better , certainly improved my sexual health by more than a milestone, less conscious of how I smell and I feel more confident.

I am most thankful for the cosmopolitan magazine where I found the article that led me to more searches regarding BV and for the small clip explaining what BV is and that it can be treated.

For more info google BV can't attach any links either , what surprises me is that over at least 3 years none of the GP's thought that it could have been BV , it could only have been thrush treated with antibiotics ??

Anyway don't ate my word for it try it and finish the dose what's the worst that can happen ? You can use it weekly or monthly to maintain the PH balance luckily I used it just once as the treatment it was only the other day I was thinking maybe I should use it for maintenance too .

• Posted

Hi Kaitlin,

I've come across your discussion because I've just used balance active pessaries and wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. I've used the gel before, but wasn't all that keen on squeezing those little tubes, accidentally sucking some of the stuff back in if not handled deftly, always getting caught up in pubic hair, etc., so I thought I'd try the pessaries. Whatever the problem is with my vaginal flora, it doesn't stay sorted out for long, so I'm often trying something new. I have, by the way, also inserted gelatin acidophilus capsules, on the recommendation of one of my 'lady doctors' (I've seen a few with differing specialities in that department!). Everything works for a bit, but like I said, the problem always returns. I am menopausal, by the way, so that may have some part in exacerbating the situation.

Anyway, after the first three pessaries (of 7), the prickly, weeping, though not that smelly problem eased, but the fourth and fifth woke me in the night with very unpleasant itching and prickling. A bit alarming. I've not continued with six and seven. From the ingredients I can't see that there's anything that ought to be that irritating, and although the gel sometimes stung, this was much worse than that - like the pessary had sprung bristles. Has anyone else tried these and had a similar reaction? Or no reaction?

• Posted

Hi just read your post...had the same issue. Used tpo use the gell and found it ok but if you are using it just as a balance rather than BV issues you cant do the seven days or you can give yourself thrush....happened to a mate. However I couldnt get the gel anywhere so bought the pesseries. First night found it stang after using but settled by the next day and thought there was a little improvement. Did the second night...seemed slightly worse reaction and has left me sore....no idea what to do next really....

• Posted

Hi, I tried the 7 single pessary just this week. Here's my experience:

1-2 days: Wet discharge 15-20 minutes after inserting the pessary, and the smell definitely subsided, and the discharge sting a little when it comes out

3-4 day: Still have discharge but didn't sting as much, my vagina started feel irritated during day after the night with the pessary, but I usually just ignore it as I felt I'm determined to finish the recommended course

5-6 day: The discharge was less of a concern when everything down there is so irritated, slightly burning sensation when you touch it

7 day onwards: I couldn't WAIT to finish it, and even now when it's completed my vagina still feels bit irritated, red and some smell, I wonder if I have thrush/yeast infection, but I will wait few more days before getting medication for thrush.

UGH!

*note: It doesn't hurt when I pee 

• Posted

If you see my previous reply a friend told me not to use for 7 days unless you know you def have BV. Just use the lesser doses for balance or you can cause thrush....However I just used two and had the exact same reaction as you....less of one problem and get another...fabulous...kinda comforting it is not just me with this issue....the gels are far more gentle and found them better...i just find places sell either one or the other...

• Posted

This most definitely is not a cure for BV. I tried this gel after trying countless methods over the last 10 years of suffering with this awful illness. In the last 4 years my symptoms have been severe and are there 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Until I changed my diet and started taking good quality probiotics (I used Symprove for 3 months) Then continued with other ones. The change of diet is not for everyone as it is not easy to keep to it but it's absolutely necessary if you want to get to the root cause and fix the problem once and for all which I have done after 10 years of suffering with this. It took about 3 months to notice a difference so you have to be persistent but it definitely does work. Good luck everyone, if you want advice on the diet please feel feel to get in touch
    • Posted

Hi anastasia please could you message me on how to do this diet.im at my wits end with this bv I've had it since I was 18 I'm now 26 and its chronic.ive just started taking fem dolphius 2 a day but yet to see any difference.changing my diet is my last hope xx
    • Posted

Hi Marie - sure. I copied and pasted this from another post I wrote. Here you go:

So here is my advice about what the protocol is if you want to deal with the root cause.

Find a good nutritionist who can do the relevant tests. Stool tests are a good way to find out what your bacteria status is in your gut and whether you have parasites and/or a yeast overgrowth.

If you cannot afford to do this, it will be more difficult but still very possible. What I would do is cut out at least sugar and alcohol, fruit (except for one piece of low sugar fruit per day e.g blueberries) no dried fruit, no honey. I also cut out dairy and wheat, potatoes and basically followed a low carb diet such as the GAPS or SCD diet - with minor changes. Add in lots of vegetables - especially green leafy veg. The next important thing to add in is a good quality probiotic. I used Symprove for

3 months and it worked within 2 months. I have no more BV symptoms. I hope this helps - and if you require more information (as I may have left out some info) please feel free to ask. I know this is not an easy thing to do but it's worth it for your overall Heath. Remember, you are getting symptoms because your body is not in balance and so you can reverse this by simply changing your diet for a couple of months and then you can start adding in foods again to your diet and go easy on the sugar in the future to avoid having more symptoms in the future. Good luck everyone! You'll get it sorted - just be patient and it will work x

• Posted

Can you please let me know the diet and steps you took to get cured please?? I'm so tired of suffering 
    • Posted

Hi Antoinette, I don't think I can add anymore to what I have written above except to reiterate that it is really important to cut out sugar and cut out anything that could be feeding your bad bacteria. Eat lots of green leafy veg, kale, spinach, romaine/cos lettuce etc and take some good probiotics. I've written above the one one that I used although if you wanted to follow the SCD DIET (book: breaking the vicious cycle) you would be making your own yogurt to inoculate your body with good bacteria. Also on the scd diet you will be cutting out grains and starchy carbs like potatoes etc. They do allow some ripe fruit on the scd diet which might work for you. Everyone's body is different. Please feel free to ask for support if you need it. You can send me a private message if you prefer.
    • Posted

Hi Anastasia  I have had problems for a few months.  I was on antibiotics a lot and i think this caused the problem.  I had abs for water infection, then canestan for thrush, then tried BV creams.  Nothing seems to work for long, sometimes i can go 3 weeks without problems.  I was wondering if it was worse by diet.  Could you email information.  Cannot beleive how many people are suffering out there.

Thanks Gloria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.