A question for the ladies...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Since having my frozen shoulder, I've been reading up more and more about it and have become convinced that there is some sort of link between lack of hormones and frozen shoulder.  Mine started when I reduced my HRT to a very low dose, with a view to stopping and judging by the sex and age group of the majority of sufferers (and lots of anecdotal accounts on here and elsewhere), it would be hard to completely dismiss the possibility of some sort of link.  I know it can also occur in men and other age groups, and I'm not saying it is the prime or only factor involved but I'm fairly certain of some sort of link, at least for some of us.  I'm certainly no medical expert but I think it merits some proper research.

My physiotherapist said that the shoulder capsule is made from collagen.  It is known that estrogen has a role in maintaining collagen - hence the known side effects of lack of skin plumpness and wrinkles after menopause.  Joint aches and pains are also listed as a known side effect for some women - I certainly had them, even apart from the frozen shoulder.  Perhaps when we don't have enough estrogen, we can't produce enough collagen to maintain a healthy shoulder capsule or fend off or repair whatever else (e.g. injury) might trigger this condition.  In reading up on some of this, I also found that men produce estrogen - though knowing when or if this declines in men, isn't as obvious.

My question is, (and I hope you don't mind me asking) how many of you started with your frozen shoulder after or during your menopause, stopping or reducing HRT or any other decline in hormones?  

It would be nice to know for certain what causes this awful condition and then maybe they could come up with some more effective treatment.  After being diagnosed with frozen shoulder but also having other menopausal symptoms return (night sweats, etc) and reading the new UK NICE recommendations, I restarted my higher dose of HRT.  My skin has certainly improved and I feel better in a lot of ways - whether it will play any role in mending my frozen shoulder or preventing it developing in my other shoulder is impossible to say.  My shoulder is feeling a whole lot better now but I've also had Hydrodilatation treatment.  I'd love to hear others opinions and experiences on this.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I started having problems in mid menaupause . 

And my other shoulder is now showing similar feelings that my other one did at the beginning.

i have done everything naturally.

not sure if this helps. X

• Posted

I didn't know I was going through menopause but more pre-menopause until I had a blood test relating to coil. It showed that I was well into it. I'm sure it's related!
  • Posted

MIne started at age 60 so i had been through menopause so you might have something there about it being estrogen related. I never had HRT though.
  • Posted

I just thought I would let you know that I too am in menaupose. and not taking any hormones right now. I plan to. I also believe there is a connection, thanks for bringing the topic up! it makes sense...

• Posted

Hi Maria

I have an HRT implant, I am in the middle of menopause. My FS began in June (I had the implant put in in April prior to that, so 2 months beforehand). I believe that there is a link as it is too common. As you say, one of the most debilitating conditions and frustrating as there seems a great deal of difficulty dealing with it. Likewise there are many 'stone walls' to hit before getting somewhere with the medical profession.

I hope that something is done about research into this for others....

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Maria. 

Ther is a new treatment coming down the pipeline for frozen shoulder. Xiaflex injections Google it. There are many links online regarding this treatment.

it was approved for Dupuytrens disease a build up of collagen in the facia tissue causing the fingers to contract to a fist position. It was done on my fingers last Feb and my fingers are straightened and can use my hand again. 

The same injection is used for frozen shoulder. It may be approved by this summer . I also have frozen shoulder where the injections have proven in studies to improve the use and extension of frozen shoulder.

good news

Hopebiggrin

• Posted

It would be wonderful to find a new treatment - but I think I'd treat this with caution, for the moment, at least.  I've tried to Google for   Xiaflex relating to frozen shoulders and whilst there seem to be studies and trials ongoing, I can't find any links to results, other than vague words like "promising".  I did however come across some rather worrying possible side effects for it's other uses, some rather serious like "tendon rupture" and the following, seems to effect a rather large percentage - quote from a from a drugs site with a detailed description (Google Xiaflex side effects):

"The most frequently reported adverse drug reactions (≥ 25%) in the Xiaflex clinical trials in patients with Dupuytren’s contracture included edema peripheral (mostly swelling of the injected hand), contusion, injection site hemorrhage, injection site reaction, and pain in the treated extremity."

Lets hope it is a new and successful treatment - but personally I'd like to see some more testing and results before I put myself forward as a guinea pig.

• Posted

I just wonder if you are a sakes rep the works for this company???You seem to promote this Xiaflex drug in every tread here. I hope is you in good faith for all of us sufferers and not just trying to take advantage of this terrible people situation.
    • Posted

Hi, I have heard that this treatment is for dupuytrens and because a frozen shoulder has similar features to dupuytrens the thinking is the treatment would work. I have read and see a lot of dupuytrens being treated with this method and it's very successful but the way it works looks awful and traumatic. I'm sure the dose must be completely different for the shoulder. Fingers crossed for more research into it and hope it's a possible treatment.

• Posted

Mine started when a few months after switching from Birth Control Pills to HRT.  I have often thought there was a connection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.