A quick question about social anxiety

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I hope my question doesn't sound flippant to those of you who suffer very badly with this, but I am confused about my own illness right now and am just trying to figure some stuff out in my head.

My doctor keeps trying to treat me for my anxieties (and depression). But I feel it's more than that (maybe!). I certainly have them. I know I suffer from social anxiety quite a bit. I've looked up the symptoms and most of them are very familiar to me. HOWEVER!! They aren't always present. Some are, like if I had to stand up in front of a room full of people and give a talk. That anxiety never goes away. But it's probably not as bad as it was when I was younger. I think age has helped with that. But significantly, the intensity of most of the social anxieties I have can rise and fall, or even disappear completely, depending on how I am feeling within myself at a particular time. So, for example, sometimes I can't bring myself to pick up the phone to make a query on the electric bill, but other times I can 'happily' complain to the person at the other end until I get the matter sorted. Sometimes I find it hard to say hello to a stranger passing in the street, but other times if I see 'red' over something (like a car parked on the yellow zig zag lines outside the school entrance...a pet hate of mine!) I will actively engage in a confrontation.

My question is....is it possible for someone who is suffering from 'pure' anxiety (and not an additional disorder too) to pick fights with strangers?!!

I would really appreciate some clarity on this. Thanks.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think so yes. I don't really suffer anxiety the social side (however it is effected) I still have picked my argument s with people I'f something 'has had' to be said.

I think everyone who suffers anxiety issues don't really fully believe they suffer anxiety and I gues that's part of having anxiety! Really.

• Posted

Hi georgina, thanks for the reply. Yes, I probably have anxiety about having anxiety! I'm struggling to figure out exactly what 'type' of anxiety I have. I am inherently a very sociable person (when I'm not wanting to shut the world out that is!), so when I have anxieities to do with social situations it doesn't seem to make sense. But I guess anxieties are 'irrational' by nature.
  • Posted

I would say yes when you are in anxiety mode or a panic mode it is easy to pick fights with others because when i am anxious i tend to argue with people because i am not feeling good. 
  • Posted

Yes. Being easily aggitated is a part of anxiety. You might not have a full blown panic disorder. Everyone has different levels. There is gad which is generalized kind of always there but not shaky, fearful intense thing. Social anxiety works on different levels as well.  Everything goes in degrees. How come your doctor feels you need medication? What would make the doctor feel you are dealing with anxiety?
    • Posted

Hi lisa and elisabeth, thanks for the replies. Lisa...because I have plenty to be anxious about, that's why! A rollercoaster 20 year relationship that came to an abrupt end last year resulting in a complete breakdown, still no job and two kids to worry about, a physical health condition that limits what type of job I can do, a loss of our house (and buisness) a few years back that left a mountain of debt...that sort of thing eek.  And my stupid brain of course! It just does it's own thing, regardless of what I want ;-)

The thing with my 'confrontations' is that they seem to come from a source of outrage and indignancy. Like a sort of arrogance nearly. I'll be like...who the hell do they think they are?! I had to hold this in the other day as I didn't want to make a scene outside my kids school. I've failed horribly at this before though. I actually stood a number of years ago in front of a car that had nearly ran my daughter over and took a photo of the guy. He wasn't happy! I'd already had a few run ins with him about his parking/driving and that was the last straw. I just feel very bullish at times. Other times I'm laid back enough that such things just wash over me. So I might think 'pr**k' but just be content with giving him a 'hard stare'!

I seem to jump from argumentative/I'm right you are wrong/angry psycho bitch from hell, to 'yeah, whatever dude' (not a word I use but makes my point) in a matter of days, or even hours sometimes. I just don't know how much of it can be linked to anxiety and how much is just 'me'. I can remember feeling like this at high school though. It's not a 'new' thing.

Anyway, sorry, I've rattled on again. Thank you for you both for taking the time to reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.