A very quick question that just requires a number. How long have those of you who are

Posted , 13 users are following.

doing vestibular rehabilitation therapy (VRT) to regain your balance, on your own or with a physical therapist, how long did it take before you saw results and were less dizzyrolleyes. Weeks? Months? Years?

For me it's been 9 months, and I really don't see a difference but when I had the slow head-thrust test at PT they said I passed. Huh? They moved my head *very* slowly. In real life, you move it faster. Thanks.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi dee

As I think I've probably told you for me I noticed results in 3 months after having VN for about 14 months then. But after a setback, I'm struggling to get back to where I was. Don't give up hope though as I read on a website the story of two girls and one of them said she didn't notice any results until 1 year of doing VRT. Love the emoji by the way!! That's exactly what my eyes feel like!!! 😊

• Posted

I am nearly 3 years with it Dee.. Ive been a few times for the treatment but to be honest with you ive found its something that seems to ease and then comes back full on , never completely free of it even after treatment , all that seems to do is send me into a stronger spinning sensation , maybe others have had better results but for me its still with me constantly just different degrees 
  • Posted

I never really got anywhere with it and I did it for around 3 months. Unfortunately I either aggravated an existing neck problem that subsequently showed on mri's or my dizziness was caused by MS and not what I was diagnosed with ie vestibular neuritis. I had a clean brain mri but my neck shows patchy signal increases possibly ms lesions but complicated by cervical stenosis. Could be either, they're not sure yet.

I'm saying all this because if you see no benefit it is worth pushing for further investigation. If I hadn't I would have gone away none the wiser and put all this crap down to the ear infection!

• Posted

For me it's been 3 1/2 years, and I really don't see a difference.
  • Posted

It took about 2 weeks, then a set back, then another 2 weeks.  Now vertigo only rarely but for the past three years my balance is still off like I am walking on a boat, I just don't have a spinning head.
    • Posted

I have mentioned this in a previous post but out of desperation I started seeing a chiropractor about three months ago.  She has done more for me in three months than the previous three years with a neurologist, rheumatologist and balance doctor combined.  She isn't the bone cracking kind, more the bone and muscle, heal from within kind of chiropractor.
    • Posted

Hi Kathie, I thought about a chiropractor but due to neck wear and tear I didn't fancy "adjustments" aggravating something that doesn't cause me pain just now. Is their a specific name or just a normal chiro with a different approach?
    • Posted

She isn't listed as anything different, she is kind of a hippie chick.  But she is appalled at the Epley Maneuver because it is such a violent process for us.  I would just ask around until you find the right person.  I go back in a few weeks and I will ask what her procedure is called.  I didn't fancy going either but I had fallen several times and my back and hips were so out of ailgnment I was in constant pain.  That pain has all but disappeared.  It is amazing really - she just pushes a little bit - nothing harsh - it has given me hope.
  • Posted

It took about 4 months altogether, with Epley Maneuver at home and vestibular therapy followed by more exercises at home. But still, from time to time, I do get dizzy: turning too quickly to the right, laying down flat on the bed, getting up too quicklly from bed and occasionaly when I put my head down and bend to pick something up. It is usually short-lived, thank goodness.,
  • Posted

18 months but I did lots of other balance work too, at the gym, in the pool, walking, and still doing it all. I have an appointment next Friday, let's see wht the tests say, but if feel at least 98%, don't think it will ever be 100%.
    • Posted

Hi Christine

Good to hear you are 98%.... i am there too but doubt i'll ever be 100% either!

Debbie

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I don't think 100% recovery is possible with this type of damage to the vestibular nerve. I'm grateful to have progressed this far. Good to hear you have too. 

Christine

• Posted

I think doctor diagnosed your condition per your symptoms but they might not know exactly the causes of these conditions. Most of these conditions are spinal and cranial related conditions. I, myself, had constant headache and off balance for 3 months but with spinal adjustments my conditionis 90 percent resolved. Please people do yourself a favor find a good chiropractor to help you. Remember to drink enough water, at least 8 glasses of water everyday (stay away from coffe and tea for now-remember coffee and tea are not water. Actually they make you dehydrate.)

• Posted

Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion but cannot go to a chiropractor. Insurance does not cover it, and at the moment I can't either. This came upon very suddenly, but will ask my PT about what you said.

I do drink a lot of water, but what you said about dehydration is really an old wives' tale. Coffe, tea, and soda do contain caffeine, but they still hydrate you. Say, if you drank 3 cups of coffee a day (24 oz) you do not get the *whole* benefit of drinking 24 ounces, but you get about 95% of that. Heard this from a doctor, and it makes sense. There is no way drinking liquid can dehydrate you, unless it's super-super-concentrated Kolt or something like that. But thanks for the suggestion.

• Posted

I used to drink lots of tea everyday but not much of water. My urine color used to be dark yellow and my skin is dry. After I drink less tea and more water, I will less headache and feels better and my urine color is clear/light yellow. A good chiropractor is not the one keep asking patients to see him/her 3x/week for years. Look for an A.K (applied kinesiologist) practioner, they are the best chiropractors out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.