abcess in groin area

Posted , 7 users are following.

Its nice to hear other stories simliar to mine. I had my first abcess at the age of 11. it was on my bart gland under the skin of my vagina. Very painful and embarrasing at such a young age - at first it was treated with ice packs and anti-biotics. 2 weeks in hospital. 3 weeks later and yes - another one appeared same place, this time i was given just anti-biotics, and a month later it was back - this time they lanced it, thank god they knocked me out though - couldn't bear the thought of being awake! This still didnt get rid of it - and yes another month later it was back - this went on and on for nearly 12 months - in the ned my mom took me to see her gynocologist. He was brillient! said it was the bart galnd causing them and that it had to be removed which they did. Then no more of them until december 2005 - this would prove to be the most painful yet! It was a peri-anal abcess which was mis-diognosed as an infection at A&E. I was sent away with more antio-biotics. I was in agony - couldnt sit down, shooting pains which i thought would never end. 3 days later my temp was through the roof and i was drowsy to say the least - the tablets had masked the symptoms, my abcess was now the size of a tennis ball, I was rushed in and operated on next morning. For the next 3 months i endured salt baths and painful packing of the wound on a daily basis, only 1 year later on my birthday to find a lump again in the same place!! This time thank god they moved quicker and i had it removed the next day. Only Saturday just gone i discovered another swelling and lump in my groin area - and yes it has been confirmed as another Abcess!!!!! the thought of the same painful operation and aftercare send a shudder through me. I can't believe it. The doctor blamed it on weight - how stupid - skinny people get abcess's aswell! No other doctor had told me that - they just kept saying its one of those things - some people get them others don't! But i refuse to accept that - there has to be a reason! You dont get these things for nothing. Now i have to just sit back and hope the anti-biotics work - some how i dont see that happening given my past experiences.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have had the same problems. The cause is nothing to do with your weight, it is an abnormallity with your glands which need to be removed. Unfortunately, they may still reoccur as I have experienced. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

I have been havin absesses since I was a child they stared in my mouth until I was reached my early 20's then they moved south,

I then had 1 on the base of my spine inbetween the cheeks of my ass very very painful couldn't sit down lay down properly as it was that painful.

I then started gettin them on the inside of my thighs at the top next to my groin I could just about deal with them.........Now I have 1 on my left nut and oh man that really does hurt, It has burst and I went to the Doctors and he just looked at it and said \"I see let me take a swab to see if its infected\" ( what a Plank) I nearly punched him, I said I know its infected you muppet thats why I've come to you for treatment and to find out why this keeps happenin all he said was its down to hair growth......a I'm 44 now I think I have all the hair I'm likely to get so there must be some other reason for this , he said there isn't!

• Posted

It gives me small sense of relief to know that I'm not the only one who has these abscesses. First one I had when I was 15 close to my vagina, I was in so much pain but refused to go to the doctor or even tell my parents what it was because I was so embarrassed. It eventually got as big as a golf ball and finally ruptured itself. It was disgusting, but all I could think about was the relief it gave me. I got another one about a year later in the same area, still didn't go to the doctor, figured I could make it burst on my own. Which I managed to do after a few days of pain. Then I didn't have another one until I was 33 near my anus. This one got painful, I couldn't sit down so I went to the doctors and they drained it by cutting it open. I did the sitz bath for 2 weeks and it healed. I got another one near my vagina again which my gynecologist said was a bart abscess but that she was surprised that I would get any abscess in that area at all (perianal included), she said I was healthy and shouldn't have had these at my age, but I am about 40lbs overweight, I also tend to get constipated which causes anal cuts and bleeding and probably contributes to the abscesses. It ruptured right before I went to see the doctor, she gave me antibiotics. Now I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with another perianal abscess, it's still manageable and rather small, but slowly growing. I don't know if I should wait it out for a few more days and see if it goes away on its own or go see the doctor. I hate the thought of being cut open again and having to deal with sitz baths and pain when emptying my bowels again. Why do I get these!?!
    • Posted

I forgot to add that now I'm now 35 dealing with my 2nd perianal abscess. I don't tell anyone except for my husband, because what do you honestly tell family and friends when you're out sick but can't say what it is?

One of my best friends did have to go to the ER in 2014 for a huge abscess in her throat, the doctor had to drain it by putting a huge needle in the back of her neck, she said it was extremely painful. She first thought she was just sick with a sore throat, but after several days she couldn't eat or swallow without so much pain and it got hard to breathe.

• Posted

Tashums, I hope you are better. This condition really is awful, the pain is the worst I have ever experienced. There can be many reasons for a perianal abscess but to me the basics of this is the body has an infection it can't fight off. Why can't it fight it off? Why is the immune system not doing what it should? We are told a healthy diet and exercise are the starting points to helping stay fit and healthy but I think some of us need a bit more to help boost our immune systems. I upped my veg intake and I have not had any reoccurrence in 5 years but everyone is different.

• Posted

Ask your Dr to test a sample for hidradenitis supportive because I have had this condition since I was 12 and I am now nearly 27, mine started out as a reoccurring abscess underneath my left armpit and after many painful and sleep deprived nights because of the pain I was finally diagnosed at the age of 19 I now have suffered from abscesses under both armpits which never heal properly, in the groin which are constantly reoccurring and one which nearly blocked my airway on the right side of my neck which was the size of a tennis ball, I couldn't eat or drink I had to sleep basically propped up into a sitting position as laying down put so much pressure on the abscess which was so painful. Which got mis-diagnosied for over 6 months saying it was paraynigitius and Quincy, I hope this helps someone as I know how frustrating it can be keep having this!

• Posted

I have been fighting with these terrible bumps all of my life and I am not 60 years old and am still getting these.  I have done the sitz bathes, tea bags,and surgery all seem like things after the fact.  I have recently found something that I am going to try which is a zone diet that is suppose to work with inflamation within the body.  Hopefully this will offer some relief and these will be a thing of the past.
    • Posted

Oh I'm sorry to hear this. How did you get on? Hopefully your diet change has helped and you are better.

• Posted

I never had abcesses until I put on weight. I'm now about 50lbs overweight and I've been getting them in my groin area too, typically around my upper left inner thigh area. I've attributed to my weight gain and to hear you say that a doctor told you the same thing, to me, that reaffirms my assumption. Your weight has a lot to do with it. Your body overproduces sweat glands or bacteria gets in areas where sweat it producing and simply gets infected and fatty tissue maybe causing overproduction in these hot spot areas. This is all my opinion and thoughts though. The whole reason I'm on this site is because I have 2 right now, one formed during my sleep and woke me up from the pain. Maybe have some hyperdermic needles on hand to "pop" them. Majority of the pain comes from the pressure they build up, and relieving that pressure can and will reduce the pain.

• Posted

Yep as guest says slim people have this condition too. Infection can start for many reasons. If I wear a high collared jacket, because I don't have a long neck, I end up with a spot/boil/infection whatever you want to call it, on my chin bone from the rubbing of the material on my skin. My sister used to get small abscesses in her armpits and she was extremely skinny.

I feel it is more we don't have enough in our immune systems to fight off this type of infection when it forms. So how do we improve our immune system to cope better.

I hope your weight improves and your abscesses heal.

• Posted

I have also had a number of abscesses since I was a teenager in my groin area and had various treatments that weren't always effective and suffered quite nasty side effects. I believe in is caused by a weakened immune system. I have found in the last two years that I can quickly rid myself of an abscess by using magnesium paste, which I apply liberally on the abscess and cover with a dressing. I do this for a few days and away it goes! I also take magnesium supplements and vitamin D3 with vitamin K2 and this seems to have lessened the amount of new abscesses forming.

• Posted

Hi I completely agree with you, I think a persons immune system has alot to do with this. This is very interesting. I've never once been advised about magnesium paste. Thanks for the post will add this info to my website.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.