abdominal aorta anuerysm

Posted , 4 users are following.

are there any men over 70   out there who have had an operation to repair an aorta anuerysm. I might have to one and I am 78 and very nervous. James Dixon

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi James. I'd say it's better to have it repaired than to just leave it! Did the consultant explain what may happen if it grows larger and bursts? My husband had it done and recovered very well. He was in his late sixties at the time. Speak to your GP or consutant again if you can.

• Posted

Hi Pollyanna, yes my own doctor explained what would happen if I did not have the operation, I see the consultant next Thursday 28th and if he suggests the operation I will definately go ahead with it, how long is the operation and how long was he in hospital? hope you don't mind the questions. Thanks. James.

• Posted

Hi James, not sure exactly how long it will take but prob a couple of hours then into ICU for a day or two while you heal. Do as your wife and doc tell you! No gardening, decorating etc! lol wink Your surgeon and anaesthetist will tell you more when you go down for op. I don't think they will keep you waiting long as it's quite big now. Lucky you had the Xray eh? rolleyes

• Posted

Thanks Pollyanna, I' m very lucky to have had the Xray, FATE ?

• Posted

Hi James, my nxt door neighbour is in his 60's, & just had it done. They found it on a routine ct scan because of hip pain he had. Better to get it done as you can be a walking timebomb if you don't. I spoke to him the other day post procedure 10days, & he is fine. Hope this helps to re-assure you a bit.

• Posted

Hi looloo, thanks for your reply, thats how I found out, I had an xray on my hip because of pain and was told it was not bad enough to warrant a hew hip and then he through me a bomb shell telling me I had AAA and if the tear in the aorta is more than 5 centermetres long that's serious, mine is 7 so as you say I'm a bloody walking time bomb, My doc told me to do nothing consisting of any work at all, my wife now will not let me do a damn thing and I feel so useless, she is 10 years younger than me, I'll keep you informed of my journey, Thanks,James

• Posted

Yes James, forgot to say that, he is not allowed to do anything strenuous for a while (before & after op) no lawnmowing, hoovering, lifting etc. Better to be safe than sorry, & things have to heal afterwards. Good job you & my neighbour had to scan for the hip pain!! But he is well in himself now. Take care & let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.