Abdominal hernia. What route would you go?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Went to see my PCP on Wednesday and he is pretty sure I have a hernia. He had me strain and said he felt a bulge.

He wants me to give it a month to see if it stabilizes or gets worse. If it doesn't improve, he will refer me to a surgeon.

He also wants me to go easy lifting, nothing more than 5-10 pounds and this is where the conundrum comes in.

I work in the automotive industry (parts supplier) and most days, I'm lifting batteries, rotors, cases of oil, etc, which are well over 10 lbs.

Do I call my PCP and explain the nature of my job keeps me from being light duty and see if he can schedule me with a surgeon? Or do I try my hardest to abide by what he says, severely limiting my capabilities at work for a month?

What would you do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If your employer can't put you on light duties, I would suggest getting a sick note from your doctor and get him to sign you off that's if you can afford to take time off work
  • Posted

If it's a hernia it's not likely to improve and, given your job, it's an occupational injury.  I would suggest getting a truss (hernia support) if you're going to carry on working whilst waiting for surgery.  There's sense in not allowing it to develop any further because the smaller they are, the easier they are to fix as a general rule.  Good luck!
    • Posted

It used to be something that bothered me occasionally, but now it's becoming a nuisance. And at work, I am just dealing with it. I would rather get it taken care of now than have it get worse.
    • Posted

Got the diagnosis last week of an abdominal hernia AND a new umbilical hernia. Slated to go in to fix them both on the 24th. Will be done laparoscopically.

The discomfort is pretty much constant and aggravated by any heavy lifting. I had to put ice hockey on the shelf until after the surgeries.

Doctor really didn't give me an option. CT scan showed both. He is going to use mesh in both since the umbilical is a recurring hernia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.