Abdominal Pain, any advice/cures?

Posted , 4 users are following.

In May of this year (2015) I attended a party and had a little to much to drink. The next day I felt hung over sick, but it wasnt my head pounding that was usually the case, it was my stomach. I got a burning/aching/knawing pain, I couldn't eat, no appetite, constant pain for about 2 weeks until I went to the hospital because I didn't feel right at all. The hospital took blood work, urine sample, gave me an IV and said I may be dehydrated and sent me home. I went to my family doctor who told me I probably had gastritis. She prescribed me Tecta and told me the pain should fade in about a month. I went to the hospital again about 2 weeks later because my stomach pain got really bad and was not improving. They told me to increase my tecta to 2 pills/day and had me do an abdominal ultrasound. The ultrasound came back normal and I later did a barium swallow that showed probable duodentitis. I then did an endoscopy which confirmed only mild-moderate gastritis and duodenitis. I have been taking Dexilant 60mg (PPI) since and it has helped my symptoms but not cured them. There are days that the pain is very very bad, and others that it is not as bad, but always constant. I decided maybe the Dexilant was causing my stomach pain and tried to stop taking it for one day. I didn't even make it to 4pm without having to take it because I was in so much pain. I since have done an MRI to check my intestines to see if the problem is coming from a lower area and they found that too was normal. The MRI however did show that I have "pancreatic divisum". My gastroenterologist then thought this could be the cause of my pain, so he prescribed me pancreatic enzyme medication to take 2 pills 3 times a day before each meal. He thought maybe my pancreas was not producing enough enzymes to break down my food and therefore causing pain. I took these medications for one full day and one morning and decided not to continue to take them because they just caused me more pain when eating. I did not take them today, I only took the Dexilant this morning, however since i've woke up, my stomach has been really hurting. I honestly feel stuck, I have no idea what to do to help my stomach/pancreas/whatever it is thats causing this pain. The only other medication I take is Cipralex for my OCD/anxiety which I have been taking for 2 years. I was previously switched from Cipralex to the generic brand in Dec, and in March started feeling a bit more anxious so I switched back to the name brand medication in April. With my abdominal pain though comes anixety because pain obviously makes you feel very uncomfortable, uneasy, and down... especially when you feel that it will never go away. If you have any advice/tips please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it!! 

Thank you

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adrianna, you might be better off posting this is the pancreas problems group. As I think your pain might be related to your pancreas divisum. If your consultant thinks your not producing enough enzymes then a faecal elastase test will confirm this. If this comes back saying your not producing enough enzymes then I would take the enzyme tablets.

There is a group on Facebook called pancreatitis pals. Lots of information and advice is shared on there which might be worth you joining and asking for advice in there.

Sorry I can't be much help and sorry you are in pain.

Gem

• Posted

Hello Gem, thank you for your feedback. I will post this in the pancreatic problems as well. I will also mention the test to my doctor. I will also check out the Facebook group

Adrianna

• Posted

UPDATE:

Today I saw my family doctor who pre much told me that she thinks we should start back at the basics and she believes its the gastritis. She told me to maintain a bland diet and take gaviscon when I feel pain. She told me to also follow up with the gastroenterologist and inform him that the pancreatic enzymes (Viokase 8) did not help. He is on vaca for the next week so I will have to wait to speak with him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.