Abdominal Pain - Lansoprazole - Excess Stomach Acid

Posted , 8 users are following.

In Jan I went in to hospital from work with abdominal pain that was cutting my breath short. The pain was high up under the ribs like when you have been doing lots of sit ups.

I had to stay in over night but whilst I was in they gave me morphine for the pain, a few drips, lansoprazole and sent me packing with Omeprazole.

All seemed to work felt a bit fragile for a few days but seemed to settle back down. The pain started again when my tablets ran out but it wasn't as severe. GP put me on 30mg Lansoprazole x 1 per day and now on 15mg Lansoprazole x 1 per day.

I am still getting abdominal pain all round my ribs and back in particular, seems more agrevated when I am walking and carrying bags etc.

GP never really diagnosed it just said excess stomach acid?!

Has anyone else had/know of anything similar? I have had 6 months of this and am getting to the end of my teather sad

Please please any advice would be welcome

Regards

Rigarella

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like classic Peptic Ulcer, you need a Endoscopy to confirm it then (if required) what's called Helicobacter pylori Eradication Therapy smile
  • Posted

DR Spock ..... This sounds painful, Whats involved?

I am back to the Doctors on Wednesday.

• Posted

Firstly you are lead into the Endoscopy Suite, you are given a numbing throat spray (but you can opt for sedation as well), after a minute or two you jump onto a trolley and lay on your left hand side with your knees slightly raised towards your chest and your arms folded across your chest (like you are laying in bed watching the alarm clock), they take a long flexible Endoscope with a camera and light on the end and then put it down your throat (you have to swallow when you are told) it then slides all the way down into your Stomach and they have a look around (they inflate your Stomach with air), you can watch what's going on on a Monitor (though some Doctors prefer that you don't watch, it depends), anyway if it's there and you are watching you'll see what your problem is. Ulcers look like baldy white patches and they can be small, medium or quite large, or if there is no Ulcer there (or it's healed) you'll see reddened inflamed area / s (called Gastritis), but regardless they'll take some (painless) biopsies from various places for testing. The Gastroscopy as it's called isn't painful it's just a bit grim and can leave you feeling a bit shakey :D The eradication therapy itself is just a 2 week course of medicines, Lansoprazole, Clarithromycin and Amoxicillin and then the bug should be gone and hopefully over the following month or two you'll feel a lot better smile
  • Posted

I get a blated stomach which causes me be breathless like I have trapped wind and gasping dr told me it was ibs few years ago but I get it few times a week I feel bloated out a breath chest pain and weak and feel shakey anyone else have these syptoms ?
  • Posted

Sounds a bit like a Hiatus Hernia gareth hodgson smile Sometimes you've got to be assertive with yiour GP, you've got to tell him / her that you are worried sick neutral
  • Posted

I too have similar symptoms. Three weeks ago I took myself to A&E after waking up with horrendous chest, abdominal and back pain. As I'd had a baby three weeks earlier, they did tests to check I didn't have any clots, which I didn't. I spent two nights in hospital with no effective pain relief and no real answer to my pain. The doctor said it was indigestion which I couldn't believe as the pain was constant and so immense. However they diagnosed excess stomach acid and prescribed lanzoprazole 30mg for two weeks. I finished the course but went back to the doctor for more as I was terrified of the pain returning. My doctor prescribed 15mg and advised to only take when required. However I've woken up this morning with the pain and despite taking two lanzoprazole, the pain isn't subsiding. The pain is making my abdomen below my breastbone feel really tight and tender. Is this excess acid? Because I don't feel any reflux or heartburn, just bad pain.

M

• Posted

If you still have your Gallbladder I'd ask for a scan to eliminate gallstones!

BTW; if you discover you do have stones, then don’t worry about getting your gallbladder removed ...I had mine removed 2 years ago now and feel so very, very much better without the damn thing ;-)

• Posted

I have this exact problem and have taken lanzoprazole for a long time, although some days I take normal tums antacids and chew gum which seems to stop too much acid hurting my stomach, I also have to take b12 vitamins as I get anemic symptoms occasionally!

I'm just wondering if you managed to find a better way to relieve symptoms? I've suffered for 4 months like this now! I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy and all I got back was mild acid damage from bile reflux!

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered with this for over a year now and was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia, I also have had 2 bouts of Hpylori bactor for which I had treatment for. But now I have these same symptoms and am awaiting a camera down the throat. Don't put up with the pain be in distant with your gp, I to am on 30mg of lansoprazole and have been for some time but I don't want to keep taking it, I've heard of liquorice capsules that you chew 20 mins before main meal they are supposed to be very affective, but my brother started off like this then he had his gall bladder removed, he's still suffering now he can't keep anything down due to the acid reflux

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.