Abnormal pap..advice please!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 24 year old female (obvi). About 3 years ago I went for a pap smear, (i've only had one prior and nothing came back abnormal) well when I got the results for that one it came back abnormal and high risk hpv positive. Now I've don't a lot of reading and everything I have read was that I should have had further testing done but I didn't the doctor just sent me on my way, I didn't ask many questions cause honestly I didn't know what exactly it was at the time. At the same time I was told I had chlamydia and given meds.

About a year later I went back to the doctor because I had some abnormal bleeding (light pink, orange color) and he did a swab test but didn't wait for result he thought I still had chlamydia so just gave me meds and sent me on my way. I had took it in my own hands and took a pregnancy test and come to find out I was actually having a miscarriage and changed my doctors after that. But don't remember if I was given another pap.

3 months later I became pregnant and of course give a pap...doctor never said anything was abnormal so I assumed all was good.

My last pap smear was about 6 months ago and once again never heard anything back from doctor so assume all is good....no news is good news?! Hopefully

Sorry it's so long. But my question is should i have gotten more testing after being told my pap was abnormal and hpv +? Could something be wrong and I not know it? Or because I haven't heard any bad news from my present ob doc and I ok? I kniw its weird ive waited 3 years to ask questions but my anxiety is kicking really bad and idk if i should go and ask for another test to just be sure or just wait until my next pap next year? Idk im just over thinking but u can't stop freaking out please any advice will help

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rochelle! I had a Pap smear a couple years ago that was abnormal, basically it said that I had low grade basal squamous cells or something like that. It means that there were changed to my cells in my cervix. I had another one a few weeks ago because my doctor recommended it and they found it was still abnormal. The next step is to get a colposcopy where they use binocular type things to look and biopsy cells. I think if it was abnormal you should get this testing at least according to my doctor. He said 20 years down the road it could become cancerous if left untreated. I'm not sure if this is what you have too but it's always good to follow up!

• Posted

Thank you for responding taylor! I'm not sure if I have the same thing, when they told me a few years ago he just said high grade hpv and thats what the record says, it doesn't say a type or anything else and he just said to get checked every 3 years...i thought that because of the abnormal pap they'd want to see me sooner but regardless of what he said i have gotten one every year and the last two came back normal (Well my new doc never said to come in or that anything was wrong so I'm assuming no news is good news) so idk if my baby cleared it or what?

• Posted

Thanks for the response taylor! I'm not sure if I have the same thing he just told me high risk hpv and to come back in 3 years, regardless of what he said ive had a pap every year plus because I became pregnant they checked me and my last two have been normal (im assuming so because the doctor never called or asked to see me after the pap smear so I guess no news is good news) idk if my body cleared the hpv or what and idk if i should call and make another appt if I just have a pap about 6 months ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.