Accupuncture for Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone tried accupuncture for frozen shoulder?  If so, did it have any effect, good or bad?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I went for six sessions and it did nothing
  • Posted

I haven't been on forum for a few years now. I had right arm shoulder frozen. With X-rays showing bursitis . I did a lot to get my shoulder back but it will never be a 100% ie I wouldn't paint or wash floors on knees cause you still shouldn't do above shoulder it aggravates mine.

Acupuncture I feel helps with healing maybe inflammation.

Plus diet to keep inflammation down all while the most important thing is getting it moving from a professional or really good theuraputic massage person who know how much they can dig in your armpit and exstead arm. My guy did electric acupuncture after just to relieve the pain. It's a long road depending how much percentage of use you loss . Many times tears came down my cheeks and I'd joke with my massage guy but I had results . Yes it's costly insurance will only take you so far . I had 2 to 3 apointment a week and anywhere you can get in a steam shower and full out try and strength and hold for a count of 5 (the steam bring oxygen to the shoulder and helps movement and allows you to keep gaining a little more movement back.and later ice to keep swelling down. I did(Ymca) hotels or look for spa with steam.

Your shower will do to but it takes your sweat and tears a professional to break up the scar tissue webbing that has accumulated while you babied it so the inflammation has went down enough that when you walk you don't feel the bounce in your own step.

I did a little laser supposed to fix or build cells but you kinda spend a lot and don't know if it's helping. A good theuputic massage guy should know it will take a year or more to get motion back with hard work. I really lived trying to get the use back with stretching in shower etc. I think I got 80 % back in 6 or 8 month now I think I'm 95% because when I stretch both arms up right one still feels different.

Ps you could also look up prolo therapy on web. I work 13 years car assembly and my frozen shoulder was the second of a major injury to overcome and not take lightly. Lengthy but hope it help

I

• Posted

Thank you much for this detailed advice! I will try it all because I'm desperate. What diet do you recommend?

• Posted

Amy, In addition to trying accupuncture, my Dr recommended I start an Anti-inflammatory diet. Only about 11 days in, so it is too early to tell if it is helpful. I think diet usually takes 4-6 weeks for some results, but the idea is to reduce any inflammatory response in the body. You can google anti-inflammatory diet....the short version is: lots of veggies and fruits (organic if you can), fatty fish (omega 3 like salmon...I am also on 1,000mg of fish oil), limited/no dairy and no white flour/starches, no caffeine and no booze. My Dr is a realist and told me one cup of coffee and a few glasses of wine a week will be ok. So far I have lost a couple of pounds and feel a bit clearer...the hard part is that it will likely be hard to say how helpful a diet was or accupuncure was, since the length of time with frozen shoulder can vary greatly. I figure if I can cut my pain/limited mobility by even a month, it is worth it. And healthy in so many other ways too.

Take care and good luck!

• Posted

For my father in law it was the only thing that relieved him. For me it was different. It didn't give relief and made the pain more acute. The acupuncturist actually recommended against it for me. So the best advice is to try it.

• Posted

Amy, I have 6 sessions of acupunture scheduled starting in October (couldn't get in til then). I'll let you know how it goes.My initial appointment is on Oct 10, so 2 weeks from now. I am trying to hit this thing with everything I can, so I have decided to give it a try!

• Posted

Amy, I let my shoulder thaw on it's own after 2nd orthopedic dr. gave me a medical journal article to read saying it took the same amount of time whether you did PT, had surgery or did nothing. Time given was 1-3 years. Unfortunately mine took 3. It left me with many residual problems. I got deep tissue & acupressure massage which gave relief but not long lasting. Went for series of acupuncture and all problems disappeared. Another FS started on the other side. Got acupuncture and nipped it in the bud. Wish I had tried it at the beginning of the 1st one, but that had a much more severe beginning so not sure if it would have had the same result.

• Posted

I tried acupuncure two weeks ago and I had to stop as it caused agonizing pain. I was literally crying and begging the guy to take the needles out or turn the electic stimulator thing off! I have had acupuncture to my leg and it was totally fine. But this goes to show you how stuck and scarred my shoulder is. He also tried cupping but that didn't see to do anything. I am basically taking a break now from PT. Just a massage and my own exercises as most PT's have told me that it is in the frozen stage and they could do better work in the "thawing " stage. The pain is lessening but it does throw my back out of whack as I am compensating with my activities and running. I am imagining a 2 year period to get it back to normal with how stuck my shoulder is.

• Posted

Have never had an electric stimulator. Some of the treatments were extremely painful which I wasn't expecting. Particularly on my shoulder blade; it felt like a meathook. The practioner calmly said it would subside and it eventually did. I was so amazed one little needle could have that effect I just hung in on the theory it was reaching something in my body...somehow. That was after the thaw, but my body was very messed up by 3 years of contortions while trying to work, etc. When the 2nd one started I had the treatments right away, far less painful and very successful. Maybe it would have been less sever than the 1st one without treatment, but I was taking no chances. BTW I'm not very New Age-y, but would have tried anything for relief. Massage and PT did not help.

• Posted

I did acupuncture without the stim. It didn't hurt but didn't help my fs at all. Would you consider mua. It really helped me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.