Achalasia and Amyl Nitrate opens the LES

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just saw a study that indicated the following 

"The response to amyl nitrate (a smooth muscle relaxant), with partial relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), allows some barium to pass through it into the stomach."  

The study was done to see if Amyl Nitrate would be a good way to determine during  baroium swallow study if the patient was suffering from Achalasia or Psuedo Achalasia such as that caused by an obstruction. What they found was that if you had actual Achalasia the Amyl Nitrate opened the LES up by 2 CM allowing barium to pass into the stomach. If you have an obstruction it does not open the LES.  I wondered if anyones doctor had ever prescribed Amal Nitrate to them to help with opening up the LES

If you wnat to read the whole study private message me and i will send you a link.

Comments??

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I would be interested in reading the article. [my diagnosis came from having the Myotomy test]
    • Posted

here is the link to the study. 

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/174783-overview

I was diagnosed via endoscopic test also known as Manometry(I may have mis spelled that). I failed all ten swallows.Although only recently diagnosed (Feb 2016)  and only being symptomatic for less than a year i am already in end stage. (they tell me that is unheard of) I had a POEM procdure in april of this eyar and it failed.....

But if this could give me some relief while we figure out what the next steps are i would take it

• Posted

Hi 

I would love to read the study. I have just been diagnosed with acalasia. If you could send me the link that would be great. Thanks heaps. 

Noeleen

• Posted

There have been occasions when nitrates have been found to be useful.   I think, but do not know for sure, that this may be because they increase the blood supply to various parts of the body.   These sometimes get mixed up with people who take them for 'recreational' purposes.   It is always a good idea to ask your doctor before trying anything like this, niot least because of the need to get the dose right.

?There is a booklet 'A Patinet's guide to Achalasia' that you can download from Oesophageal patinets Association - The oesophagus - Achalasia (towards the bottom of the page)

• Posted

Thanks, again.  I will look at the booket, and I'm not even sure about what the nitrates, etc. are.  I'm still waiting for my initial consult with a surgeon...the wait-times are very long for anything, in the Province I live in.

• Posted

I feel for you. I am actually in the US the wait times are shorter but i will most likley be losing my small business and perhaps my house because i have been unable to work effectivley as a self employed consultant and have had to let our health insurance go. The doctors and hospital are working with us and we have just applied for medical assistance which I doubt we will get. Anyway not about me this is about you....I hope you get an appointment very soon and that the treatment plan is effective. message me anytime even if its just for a shoulder.

Best

a

• Posted

Thank you for your support, it is very much appreciated.  The wait is frustrating, but I will make another phone-call at the beginning of Sept.  We have spent the weekend, away from the city , visiting with friends.  This morning, as I just took a sip of water, it hit the back of my throat, esophagus, whatever, and I started coughing and choking.  It was a little embarassing, and this was the first time that I've done this...couldn't really get my breath.  If I'm to be honest, it has happened a number of times before, but I always put it down to something 'tickling' my throat...today was a little scary, as I aspirated a little of the water into my windpipe; basically the worst episode of this so far.  My friend, who at the time did not know of my achalasia diagnosis said, 'oh I know how you feel, I've had that happen a few times.  And I thought to myself, 'no, you do not know how I feel,' scared.   Then I told her what was going on...but I don't think she really understood.  I don't think anyone does, unless they have this disorder/condition etc.  I appreciate your support.

• Posted

Its true most people just dont get it. Mo mother in law is a truly lovely woman kind and sweet but until she saw me regurgitate water on the floor i dont think she got it. Even now she keeps telling me if i just follow Dr Oz's advice and take the right vitamins it will fix iitself. Again keepo your spirits up and dont hesistate to message me ...

Best

a

My husband got me a rare treat tonight Lobster Bisque soup..... I will eat this slowly and savor the richness smile

• Posted

Enjoy that soup.  I keep saying to friends, who are so hesitant to enjoy something that might have some calories, or for heaven's sake have some fat or sugar in it...that they should not deny themselves 'treats,' or the 'pleasure' of eating food, because, you don't know when the ability to 'enjoy' or even 'have' food is gone.  This is not a 'nice' experience...and my episode today, of aspirating that little bit of water/choking, was the first time I've done that publically...again, not a pleasant experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.