Achalasia - New to me! - Update

Posted , 5 users are following.

I thought I’d share the latest on my achalasia story.  Yesterday, I had a balloon dilatation!

Initially I didn’t want this and was looking more to surgery however when I spoke with my consultant last week he told me that the waiting list was 4-5months for surgery but that dilatation could happen within the week and that if successful, it may prevent the need for surgery although he did also point out that for some it was not long lasting.    After some time I finally very nervously agreed to the dilatation, having had a bad experience with my first endoscopy.

I felt that the wait for surgery was too long as I have now lost 4 stone due to the disease and also I need to add, partly due to the 5 day liquid diet before the procedure!

I’ve got to say that it was not a pleasant experience and the heavy sedation promised was definitely  not what I would have classed as heavy - I was hoping to feel nothing but need to say it didn’t quite work out like that, although it may be different for anyone having this procedure elsewhere,

The contrast swallow I then had later in the day showed that liquid was getting through all be it slowly, hopefully this will improve over the next few days 

Today, I have slight pain & discomfort behind my breastbone and am still on a liquid diet with soft foods gradually being introduced over the next few days but it’s amazing to feel cold water etc. arrive in my stomach.

I do hope that it works and am trying to be positive.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I hope that it works for you, it worked for me and that was over 8 years ago now! 

​I know it was horrid, and agree the sedation is useless but worth it to regain your health and weight.

Keep us posted.

Best of luck,

Janski.

• Posted

Thank you its great to hear that it has actually worked for someone for that length of time as there was another person being done on the same day as me for the fourth time and had also had surgery!

Can i ask if you need to be careful with what u eat or are u free to eat anything?

• Posted

I too had a dilatation (6 years ago) and have not had anything else since. It was fantastic immediately afterwards but the effect gradually lessened over a period of a few months. Luckily the place it ended up meant that for me it was manageable and has been ever since.

About 18 months ago I thought I may need another dilatation and was booked in but after chatting with the consultant just prior to the operation we decided that my situation was actually stable and so didn't go ahead - I'm glad I didn't.

Main thing to do is to avoid acid as much as possible. This can be really painful  (I always carry gaviscon tablets + buy peptac peppermint bottles, much better and cheaper than gaviscon liquid imo) but can also potentially lead to a number of undesirable things. 

• Posted

Hi there,

​Well i really have to be quite selective with what I attempt to eat.I tend to avoid the usual trgger foods.....white bread,rice,chewy meat etc.

​I am loathe to be beaten sometimes and will try a little of what i fancy (so to speak) and get it down somehow.  I eat out lots, and drink wine......sometimes I have to get up and walk about until graity takes it down but often have a meal and dont even consider my Achalasia!

​All the best

Janski.

• Posted

I'm the same Janski - fortunately can eat pretty much whatever I want.

I need to drink 1-2 pints of water with virtually every meal.

• Posted

I just hope that like you I’m lucky and it turns out to be successful.

The bizarre thing is before Achalasia, I was overweight and after losing 4 stone everyone tells me how healthy I look! The worry for me is that I want to eat but am also scared of putting the 4 stone back on so in a way it’s made me more conscious of food in general!

Onwards and upwards!

• Posted

I am so happy it worked for you !! I had it done as well, but still ended up with the surgery (heller myotomy). I probably should have given the balloon dilation more time, doctor told me it would be a temporary situation which is why I considered the surgery. I was so miserable for so long I wanted something permanant. It has been a year and so far no problems. I no longer eat red meat, always thinking about what foods to eat.  It was amaing to feel water hit your stomach. Stay well.
    • Posted

It is very early days for me as I only had the dilation on Thursday!

Reading what people post has shown me its very mixed-it works for some and not others. I agreed to give the dilation a try because the waiting time for surgery was 4-5 months and i felt Id had enough of regurgitating my food and i also need to take meds for another issue and was worried if i was actually getting the benefit of those.I can only hope it works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.