Achalasia Weight Control

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to maintain weight while suffering with achalasia. I recently lost 6 pounds in a matter of 1 week and a half. That just scares me so much. Any suggestions on how to maintain or even gain it back?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I make my own thick soups using a mixture of vegetables and adding little squares of cheese to add extra calories.  I take a flask of soup when I am out and about, so that I can have sips during the day.  That way I keep up the calorie input.

I also graze on cashew nuts - two or three at a time.  The plain ones are better for me, but the honey roasted cashews go down more easily!

I have a teasoon of manuka honey morning and night, which is supposed to help the lower oesophageal sphincter.  Mine is less tight than it used to be and let's food down more easily.  One good side effect is that I haven't had a sore throat for the eight years I have been regularly taking it!

Having a good breakfast with my own fruit and yogurt smoothie and multi seeded toast and cheese, sets me up for the day and I don't worry if meals later are difficult, because I know I have had enough to eat to keep me going. 

I have put on weight since I reached my lowest - too much in fact, but I am happy to have a little spare, just in case things get very bad again.  Fortunately they haven't!

• Posted

Hi Kayla,

I've just read what Amanda recommended and I'd echo her advice - although the manuka honey is a totally new option / product; so, I'll need to investgate that for myself ;o)

One thing which I don't think was mentioned specifically - is porridge fior breakfast!

• Posted

Hiya

there are times when it's even hard for me to swallow liquids, I will usually sip Ensure,Nusrishment or Nutriment as those milk based drinks seem to settle my stomach and they do carry calories. When I can tolerate more I purée food like greens,potatoes ,sweet potatoes mince,apples,pears just like you would when cooking for a baby- add extra water or gravy to make it softer and more palatable - 

• Posted

Hey kayla19404, 

Amanda's advice was nice. Yeah that's good to hear that you always balance your calorie intake than what you actually burn.That's how you maintain your weight. If you want to gain weight then you need to eat more calories than what you actually burn and it all depends upon your digestion. Don' worry about losing weight kayla. Its all good as long as you don't go below the line to underweight category. If you keep yourself active and you're doing fine, just don't worry about your weight.

I am an Achalasia survivor and I had my POEM surgery 3 years ago. I have gained a lot of weight since my lowest thought but I feel like I should reduce for more efficient swallowing.

Here I ll give you certain tips and advices you can follow : 

Make sure you exercise regularly. Have an active life now and then. Why I say this is that, when you exercise well your appetite will improve and I have experience that your swallowing would function more better when you have good appetite to eat. make sure you split your meals well. 5 meals a day with a gap of 3 hours in between will be fine. You can have smaller quantity every meal. 

And don't do anything while eating. Like watching tv or doing something while eating. Don't have any conversations while eating either. Instead focus on what you eat. Relish every bite you take. Chew well and swallow well before taking another bite. What most achalasia people tend to do is they try to take the food and just push it down by taking another bite. Don't do that. Instead have your consious on eating alone and chew your food, relish it and swallow well. Seperate yourself so you can focus on what you eat.

Make sure you eat more calories than you burn a day. Don't try to eat heavily when you have appetite. When you feel you had sufficient amount of food that would be well enough. Instead of going on and eating because you love the food. Try to avoid that. 

Make sure you have a calm life. I can see it from your post that you are scared of losing of weight. Try not to think about it much. Since that would lead to more anxiety. Just be calm and be active. Love yourself. Everyone is unique in their own way. Make sure you love every bit of yourself well. 

So yeah that's it. Have a happy and active life. Cheers! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.