Ache (not pain) in right hip and top/right side of thigh

Posted , 2 users are following.

Been having an leg ache (not pain) as far back as I can remember.  The top of my right thigh always aches (hurts), along with the right side of my thigh.  So pretty much from my right hip, 1/2 way down my right thigh.  I have had x-rays and MRIs done of my hip and nothing is found.  Last week I had a hip injection that included a cortisone shot and dye.  This has not helpd at all.  Any other ideas as to what it may be or try?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

kjicha, does anything from this article on Patient sound familiar? 

https://patient.info/health/greater-trochanteric-pain-syndrome

I am 69, and I have had two surgeries on my right hip, first a THR and the second to repair torn gluteal tendons. In addition to all of that, I have had pain down the sides of both of my thighs for years. I don't think there is anything that can be done about my pains there, and have accepted that's the way it will be for me. But I am grateful not to have the other problems that have been corrected, i.e., bone-on-bone in the hip and gluteal tendon tears.

• Posted

AnnieK, I don't think so. I have had MRIs and X-rays done, and there is no bone on bone contact, there is no arthritist, and the muscles around the hip bone are said to be fine.  

• Posted

Just FYI, as an example of how physicians and radiologists can miss things in MRIs, I had an MRI ordered the original surgeon who did my THR (at my request) after I still had pain and limp 6 months after the THR. Neither he nor the radiologist who interpreted the scans saw anything wrong. I knew that certain muscles just weren't working right, as I couldn't even balance alone on my surgical leg, even for a part of a second. And I had had lots of PT, but the weakness could not be strengthened.

I went for a second opinion to another orthopedic surgeon, one who does various kinds of hip surgeries involving soft tissue as well as bone. He ordered an MRI, and the radiologist who first looked at those scans saw nothing wrong. But that second opinoin surgeon saw the gluteus medius tendon tear in the scans. It's obvious, if you know where to look, and even I could see it when it was pointed out to me. But two radiologists and another orthopedist missed it. Mine was bad enough to require surgical repair.

You might want to go to another orthopedist for a second opinion. Obviously something is wrong, and someone should be able to diagnose and treat it. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for.the information. I will ask my orthopedic Doctor about this and see what he says.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.