Aches and pains

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a bit bothered by the constant ache in my bum, on the op side. Had it for a few days now and also started with some pain in groin. Have been pretty much pain free for a couple of weeks amd now I'm not. Have I been overdoing things maybe? I'm 24 days post op.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Maybe not overdoing it, though it is possible, but just due to using muscles you have not used for a long time? Also the internal healing process is still ongoing.

thing back to keep fit classes or the gym. What did it feel like after not going for a while, a bit achy in the muscles you have not used for a while?

• Posted

I s'pose, that makes sense. I guess I'm a bit paranoid about moving the wrong way and causing a problem with the new hip. Specially as I was moving so much easier last week.
    • Posted

I so get that you're paranoid.  Everytime I have a new ache or pain in a different spot I panic and think I've done something wrong.  I go through periods when I'm moving easily and then have more difficulty and wonder why (7 week post-op).  I was told, too, that my joints, muscles and tendons (in both legs) would be readjusting for awhile.
    • Posted

That makes me feel better, thanks Linda! I guess I expected that, once I was walking normally without pain or aids, that  it would continue that way. Not 2 steps forward and 1 back! Today I'm limping again 😔
  • Posted

Hi Shortz,

I think we all get that bum ache, particularly if the surgeon used the posterior approach, which means going in from your buttock.

It is healing, I think, and the bruising.

I should try resting with your "affected" leg slightly raised and straight out. Sometimes sitting too long on a hard chair causes bum ache for me.

• Posted

My procedure was anterior, and no muscles or tendons were cut though I guess they would've been stretched or manipulated during the op. Will follow your suggestion, thanks. 😊
  • Posted

hi shortz, 

I agree with others that you might overdo things, especially around this 3-5 week post op period ... 

there is a big muscle in the bum and mine was hurting so much at some point that I thought it was the new hardware for sure ... well, it wasn't .. My PT massaged it and it went away ... I have walked so wrong for so long ...

Could be the same with pain in  groin on operated side ... 

It is so tedious sometimes to be more aware of your posture - to stand up straight, heel to toe steps, no jerking, no sloppiness (I was accused of  that ;-() and just be more mindful - 

I am 28 days post op from 2nd THR now and by doing this ever so

s l o w l y ( a turtle's pace) I do not have this pain in butt ... 

Do you get Physical therapy ? How are you doing otherwise .. 

warm hug 

renee

• Posted

Thanks, Renee 😊. No physio, but I do have exercises I should be doing 3 times a day and I must admit I've been a bit slack about doing them. Will be good now and do them properly! Other than those aches I'm doing really well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.