Achilles debridement

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

I have been told that after nearly 16 months of conservative treatment including extracorporeal shockwave therapy, that know need a operation to debride my Achilles and a haglunds bone spur removed ,

my question is has anyone had this done and if so what does it entail , my surgeon said it will be a day case procedure and I will be in a cast for 2 weeks then boot for 4 weeks then physio , how long roughly is the total recovery period

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola did you initially tear it completely? I had a total rupture, surgery in July, no pain, still in boot, not weight bearing yet, in therapy and going well. I was told initially 3-4 months recovery depending on my effort to recover.
    • Posted

Hi raven

No I have had Achilles pain on and off for 7 years now, but this last flare up has lasted approx 14/15 months , I have what he called chronic degeneration and micro tears and a bone spur

• Posted

Hi,

I underwent a Surgery for a tendon rupture (complete) last week. That was 4 weeks after I ruptured. In last 1 week no weight bearing, I use a Knee Roller walker at home and working from home. I am in a tight cast and have a reappointment on Tues (12th day).

Just waiting for Tuesday Dr.assessment. My project manager needs me at site soon enough, but I will assess on tuesday, if I could go. someone has to drive me up though, driving for another 4 to 6 weeks may be ruled out. But Post surgical if you just bring yourself and mind together you could heal faster. Just be a little patient.

• Posted

That's great news Nicola, as you know my recovery was slightly different to you, I was in a cast for 6 weeks, no weight on foot then a boot for six weeks then physio, xx

• Posted

I'm coming up on my 8th week from surgery and I am walking with full pressure. They is a new protocol I used.

• Posted

I have the same condition as you. I'm 4 stone overweight.  Tendonitis in achilles was diagnosed by GP after having my second child. In 2004  GP advised, simply "to rest".  I had little children so this went on for years.  In retrospect from what I know now, I would have done stretching & ice packs but was ignarant of how to help myself at that time.  It was very painful. I endured it.. It worsoned when I broke the other leg; I was abroad & ended up hobbling miles on crutches to fly home.  This was the final straw for my tendonitis & a huge lump appeared on the back of my heel. (insertional tendonitis) I did not get this sorted until 2010; it had had 6 years to worsen.   I had one op which was retrinal carneal - cutting out the bone spur on my heel bone.  This did not work, my foot was still painful so 9 month later they did a second op - they cut away the degenerated tendon & joined the achilles tendon to the big toe tendon.  I remember having weeks in plaster & the wound got infected so I had antibiotics but the infection made the scar worse & it took longer to heal.   There was a lump on the side of my foot where the tendon had been cut & rejoined. This pain where the tendon had been joined was virtually cured by a deep tissue massage therapist over the course of weekly sessions for 12 months.  The scar inside had formed a lump as the join was not done neatly, so he said.  The deep tissue massage is like ultrasound; it jiggles up the hard tissue that had been forming in the soft tissue to improve blood flow & natural healing.

However, after I'd started an exercise regime to lose weight, my left foot got painful, same thing.  The (private) physio showed me how to stretch calf, hips etc as all related to achilles - this stretching is very important part of therapy, combined with the deep tissue massage.  So it helped the right foot that had been operated on in post surgery rehabilitation but it did not cure left foot but it helped a bit.

In desperation I went to GP again & in 2016 I had op on left foot.  They cut a L shape single cut in back of heel, detached tendon & cut out bone spur. This time it is healing well, hardly any swelling after op & very little pain.  I think there was not so much if any degenerated tendon as had been in my right foot. The tenderness on this left heel had been less pronounced, the lump smaller.

I had a day op, half cast for 2 weeks with foot up. Now I'm in the middle of 4 weeks full cast, 2 week NWB but now have last 2 weeks with a special shoe so I can walk on it - still got plaster on.  However I don't attempt much walking as it is lopsided & don't want to be putting too much pressure on other foot/hips etc.

So for me, long haul but I am on homeward lap; luckily my employers are kind & letting me have tome off as it is 6 weeks in plaster. And it is very tiring, frustratin & boring to be off your feet for such a long time ..but definitely worth it to be pain free & enjoy life again.

I would really emphasise the importance of looking after your foot - massaging the area when cut healed & helping scar tissue to heal well with oils, blood flow therapy - stretching etc AFTER you are back walking.  The best stretch is foot on a stair & gradually drop your heel back - it will hurt initially so do it very gently at first, but keep at it & you increase flexibility which helps everything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.