Achilles pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am six weeks into my physio , physio is being tried before the option of surgery , is it normal for physio to make my pain a 100 times worse

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had surgery 12 weeks ago, however I start physio tomorrow so will know more then. I did have physio a couple of years ago and when I did the exercises it hurt. The idea I guess is to stretch the tendon and increase the muscle strength around the foot. My guess is it follows the old age saying of no pain, no gain..
    • Posted

Hi swampiesue

I ended up going to see my GP he wiggled my tendon whilst i was kneeling on the bed with my ankles hanging over the edge and i nearly hit the roof , he jumped at how loud i cried out , says hez certain its achilles tendonitis and has given me some ketoprofen gel to rub in , had it before a few years ago for same achilles didnt do nowt then so am doubtful it will this time ,

So sick of being in pain and i feel like all they are doing is making it worse

• Posted

Hi Nicolla, it's taken me three years to get surgery, physio didn't help me then either. In the end after  a steroid injection, a house move and a years wait for a transfer to a different hospital,  my new Consultant took one look, told me I had A Haglunds deformity, acute tendonitis and asked when I wanted to come in, I had the operation four weeks later.. It's still early days, as it's a big operation, I'm still in a lot of pain and swelling up a lot now it's being used.. But it's a different kind of pain.. I understand it's very important now, that I do the. Physio to get my foot working properly again...it's hard to. Compare because most of the posts on here are for torn and ruptured Achellies... I'm sure if at this point my physio grabs my tendon the way yours did I would also hit the roof.. That's awful 😕
    • Posted

Hi swampiesue

Well the physio is convinced its due to a bad back but she has made my back feel worse and no improvement to how my achilles feels ,

My gp wiggled my achilles from side to side and it knacked i cried out really loud , but i have a lot of pain on the heelbone itself where the achilles attaches to it , i think i have both insertional and non insertional tendonitis my gp says tendonitis and gave me ibuprofen gel to rub into it , i have had this gel before and it never worked , i would refuse a steriod inj as av had 12 into one part of my body and it caused degenerative changes to my shoulder and i have had 3surgeries in 2 years to correct it

• Posted

Awww you poor thing, not good. The gel might take away some of the inflammation though.. My guess is the gps do everything these days first, before they refer you for surgery.. However surgery is not always successful and is a very big operation. I am waiting for my GP to ring, because the physio was very concerned about the amount of swelling to my ankle. I've been to see the nurse and she thinks I should see a GP. I think they are safe guarding against infection..why oh why are things never simple.. My bungion operation went wrong and I need it done again 😢 Too..
    • Posted

Hi swampiesue

Bet your fed up hunni

Been using the gel since yesterday no relief so far but will have to give it a chance to work a suppose , in the meantime al have to put up with the pain ,

Its bugging me coz it hurts 1st thing in the morning , then eases a bit then kicks in again throughout the day feeling like everytime my foot leaves the floor its going to snap , and now its hurting even when im resting it , sharp stabbing pains keep firing through it and where it joins my heelbone , blinking sick i am

Let me no how you get on with gp

• Posted

Sounds like classic tendonitis, exactly the same as me. Yes I am a bit fed up, I'm still waiting, I'm hungry and want to get on with dinner.. Hope my apt is tommorow now.. Yes will let you know how I get on, meanwhile hope your cream starts to work soon. How long have you put up with these pains...?
    • Posted

This last really painfull outbust about 7/8 mths but overall about 3yrs of constant pain /aching

I suffer with plantar fasciitis aswell and I've had a mortins neuroma removed from the same foot

• Posted

I also have a bump on the top outside part of my heel aswell
    • Posted

The bump, could be Haglunds deformity. A bony lump on the heel, that's what I had...I also think I may have plantar fasciitis because I have pains under and across the tops of my feet. In fact o be honest with you my feet are a mess! Depressing me no end as I love going for walks. 

I have an appointment with my GP tommorow with regard to the post op swelling, will let you know how it goes.. X

• Posted

Hi Nicolla, my GP seems to think as I do, that it's just normal swelling. Meanwhile I'm doing calf stretches, heel lifts and movement of ankle as advised by physio... Guess it's more waiting befor I can walk the dog.. Not that I want to in this cold weather.. X
    • Posted

Ar thats good news Swampiesue, really pleased to hear a bet your glad

How is your physio going

• Posted

Hi Nicola, have been reading your messages with interest as I too am going through hell not just with the pain but being confined to the house as even using a crutch wears me out, my consultant told me after studying my MRI scan that both my ankle tendons are worn out, he advised me to do certain exercises for 3 months and hopefully they will make my tendons stronger and go back to normal, if that does not work it means an operation which I really do not want as I am 77 but if thats all there is then I'll have to, believe me I know exactly how you feel as I am more or less house bound and it's causing me quite a lot of depresstion, James Dixon.
    • Posted

Hello James

Im not using crutches, have only been to GP and was referred to physio , my physio thinks my achilles problem is related to my back , i am doubtfull as every exercise she has me doing has made my achilles and my back 100times worse ,

She did say my left achillies is very thickened,

But i have constant pain in 2 areas, where it joins the heel and about 5cm up from it ,

Fingers crossed you dont need surgery James

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.