Achilles rupture but now pain in other one!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. I ruptured my Achilles 9 days ago but am very worried about the other one due to the amount of weight/pressure im putting through it from using crutches. I'm getting painful twinges in it and am absolutely paranoid about that one going too. Anyone have any advice on ways to reduce pressure/stress on other one? I am doing calf stretches daily on my good leg. Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I ended up crawling round most of the time as I found the crutches painful on my hands. Much watching of bad daytime tv.
  • Posted

I m sure you already know that you really need to ease off and get help to minimise moving around on crutches.  

What footwear do you have on the good leg - perhaps you need something with more support.

Shuffling on your bum can help but then you ll need to be very careful to avoid over straining the bad leg too.

• Posted

Hi Kelly. First of all, sorry to hear you've joined the club! the best thing I did to make life easier after rupturing mine was to hire a knee scooter. It was such a help to me, crutches seemed like they were going to be fine but quickly became a burden. My problem with crutches wasn't the other achilles though, mine was sore hands just general fatigue having to use them all the time. I ended up just using them for work and going out anywhere (which wasn't very much!) but at home I ditched the crutches and got on the knee scooter. You can get them from Stride on, if you google it they are based in Taunton. I did mine in December and was in the boot for 10 weeks but since coming out I've made slow steady progress. I'm a long way from 100% recovered but not inconvenienced any more and can walk for a couple of hours and cycling, did 30 miles last weekend so things looking up. Hang in there, it does get better!
    • Posted

Hi Chris. Thanks for your message. I refuse to be "immobile" as its really bad for the mind so am making sure I go out daily. Managed to get my hands on a wheelchair from my friends grandad who seems to have a stash of them in his shed lol. I've asked the local Red Cross if they have any knee scooters to hire so hopefully they will come back to me on Tuesday but will look into the one you suggested too. How long out of those 10 weeks in a boot were you nwb? I'm going to push for a boot at week 3 having done research about early mobilisation being beneficial x
    • Posted

The idea behind NWB is to allow the tendon a chance to heal by itself, which it will do if its not pulled when its trying to heal. Like a cut, if you keep pulling it apart, its not going to heal and will need stiches and a longer recovery. Your choice!
    • Posted

I was completely NMB for a week in a half-cast plaster keeping me "toes down" I was then in the boot for a further 9 weeks and kind of went with what my body told me to be honest. I started to balance my weight over both feet, particularly in the shower which I found was really hard one legged! I then found I was able to just increase bit by bit until I found I wasn't using the crutches much and by the end not at all. I also found I was able to do the same without the boot on towards the later stages, first walking with my foot forward before gradually using a more normal step. I also took the boot off at every opportunity when I was at home in front of the tv and was constantly flexing my foot forward and back very carefully and slowly only to the point that it started to feel a little tight.

I'm not suggesting you should do the same as me by the way, I'd hate to encourage anything that may not work for everyone. When I went to my first post boot physio he was very surprised at the range of movement I had so soon. I was told by one of the nurses that putting weight down with the boot on isn't too risky because the wedges keep your foot in a safe position. If it doesn't hurt it isn't doing any harm is what she said. Every injury is different though so best go with the advice of your consultant and not a random stranger on a forum!

• Posted

I was in crutches for 4 months because I reruptured my tendon. My good leg definitely would get sore. Make sure your crutches are adjusted properly. That made a huge difference for me as most of my weight was distributed on the handles. If you are in a walking cast eventually, my therapist suggested sketchers shape ups to even out the height difference and it really helped. I am now starting to walk again and my good tendon does ache. I just take lots of little breaks haha. 
  • Posted

Hi Kelly,

I'm so sorry to hear about your rupture. I ruptured mine on January 2nd palying pickleball. I wore a splint for a week then a vaco boot and non weight bearing for 4 weeks. I ordered a scooter because I didn't like crutches at all!  The scooter allowed me to move around and feel somewhat normal alos I was able to get out of the house everyday.

I hope you can get a scooter it will improve your life so much! Keep me informed on your progress. I will give you my details of recovery if you wish.

• Posted

Hi Karen, thanks for your message and sorry ot hear about your injury.  I have no idea what pickleball is?!?!  I went back to the consultant yesterday.  Had my cast changed, foot position brought up slightly, and was told I will be in a cast nwb for the next two weeks and I then will go into a boot.  Im unsure as to whether I will be nwb still in the boot for a while - I think Im just getting used to it now so not really worried about a few more weeks nwb......especially as the weather has changed here and its good for laying out in the sun!  The red cross didnt have a knee scooter but Ive been recommended somewhere I can hire one.  I probably wont bother for the next 2 weeks but if I am to be nwb once in the boot then I might.

Would love to hear your recovery road details x

• Posted

Hi Kelly

I wondered if you could kindly advise me where to hire a knee scooter.

Thanks in advance.

Alison

• Posted

Hi Kelly. I ruptured my achilles tendon 4 weeks ago. I had the exactly the same problem in the first 2 weeks. I found that when I put a good supportive shoe on my good leg it really helped minimise the pain in my good leg. I would also massage the achilles area on my good leg just before getting up to walk anywhere. I found these things helped a lot. I don't generally get much pain in my good leg anymore. I think it has just got stronger over the few weeks too. I was however petrified of rupturing my good leg at the time too, when it used to get painful. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Hi Ali

Thanks for your message. Im now 3 months down the line and just been discharged from consultant. I began self massage and heat which helped. I still do that now a few times a day eventhough im out of the boot at home. I've been fwb in the boot since 4 weeks and the pressure on the good one has gradually been easier. Hope your recovery goes well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.