Achilles rupture - first few weeks

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ruptured my achilles playing football on 01.11.14 and it is not a week since then and i am in a fibreglass cast. As with most i am pretty active going to the gym and playing football for a total of 5days a week.

I had ACL reconstruction surgery in Feb 14 and seven months after i was back training with the team and playing indoor football easing my way back to outdoor competitive games when this happened.

Went to the A&E dept the following morning  02.11.14 and was diagnosed me with ruptured AT and was sent to fracture clinic for ultra sound scan. Long story shot, am not urgent case and placed in a fibreglass cast and given two crutches (NWB) and referred to a consultant in another hospital this monday (10.11.14). I am hoping to have a scan to find out how bad the rupture is and how high/low and what recovery period would be advised.

I was initially thinking surgery is the only option as i am very active but now i am all but certain that i am taking the non-surgical route.

I have read many progress reports on this and several other sites but have not seen any info on how people got on/recovered in the first week or two.

In my first week, i have been going to work (financial accountant) and have had no problems/pains with getting around apart from the nuisance of NWB. Now in the past few days, i have been able to wiggle my toes, curl my toes to the point where i can contract the back leg muscle (whether AT is being contracted i don't really know because of the cast) and i can also hobble and handle partial weight on the foot with no pain. I can also flex my foot to the point where I can put some pressure on my heel within the cast and flexing downward to the point where my tendon is contracted.

Now i am wondering what all these means?? Does this means i am healing or is this all normal??

I continue to take my protein shake (once a day now rather than twice due to the nuisance of getting around), and take daily vitamin and Omega3/6/9 tablet as i would any other times. No idea if these aid or regress recovery.

I am pretty sure the consultant will leave me in the fibreglass cast and won't give me a boot which is what i will be asking for.

Giving the varying healing process, it seems there is a consensus on the sooner weight bearing is undertaken the faster one heals obviously listening to your body!?! I was discharged 3months ahead of schedule post ACL surgery as i took this same approach without actually knowing this during my ACL recovery stage and listened to my body adding exercises i felt i could handle within limit.

Any feedback on first week/two would be great. Thank You

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When you first had the injury did anyone try the Thompson Test. Very simple test, kneel on a chair and someone squeezes your calf. If there is no movement of your foot it's a complete rupture. No need for ultra-scan if this is a positive test, but I guess if there is some movement ultra-sound could detect the extent of any partial damage.

If you have full or partial tear my understanding is that either way non weight bearing movement of foot is good as it limits atrophy of the calf muscle.   

• Posted

If you've a complete rupture you couldnt stand on tiptoe with the busted AT, and the Thompson test will confirm if its busted. Plus in my case you could feel the gap.. no tendon.. weird.No scan needed. I was no weight bearing NOT AT ALL for 4 weeks with toes down to let the tendon heal itself.. and you just let it heal and don't move it.Then the next 4 weeks partial weight bearing with crutches, Aircast boot from the start. 2nd 4 weeks i could take it off in bed, but MUST be on for any sort of weight. Now into week 10 and looking good but its a really trying time.. DONT try and take short cuts unless you are told you can! Physio booked for 2 weeks time.....

Good luck tomorrow, let us know what happens!

• Posted

Meant to say, first week after rupture I went into work as normal on the monday, but it didnt feel right.. booked into GP in the evening and confirmed rupture by manipulation, got an appointment with the consultant on friday and told to keep weight off as much as possible. Straight into an Aircast boot and crutches for the next 2 months.. see below
  • Posted

Thanks folks.

The A&E nurse did the thompson test and comformed rupture; a gap in the tendon and mentioned surgery as i am active. Didnt asked if it was partial or full as didnt know anything about rupture. She referred me to the fracture clinic within the hospital and they did less test and said its more than likely simply partial rupture as full rupture would mean the foot would be hanging. They also asked me to stand on my toe and couldn't even get off flat foot at all. The orthopadics/docs in the fracture clinic were not really helpful and woundn't answer general questions and said they don't want to say anything till a scan as been done.

Keeping my fingers crossed and will update tomorrow.

• Posted

This forum has been really useful in comparing treatments; and gleaning info; I'd assumed mine was a complete rupture as I could feel a gap, but it must have been partial; foot not floppy dangling, but that weird unable to tiptoe feeling!! That explains why it has healed so well (fingers crossed.. at least it feels like its solid again) though the foot is stiff with good movement. I'm 65 but active.. think I strained it at the gym in May by not warming up enough and had tendonitis till it failed when I stumbled in the dark in a field! Good luck again :-)
  • Posted

Seems am on a similar part as you tim50stroud. Saw the consultant today and no scan as he "finds them unreliable on this sort of things". Did a few test and concludes the tendon is still there and back into another cast for 3weeks (making 4 in total). After this, i will be in a boot and will commence physio also.

Forgot to ask if it was partail or full rupture but am guessing "if the tendon is still there" its partial. While the cast was off, i could flex my feet no problem (except for it being tight) which i couldn't do a week ago.

Consultant as apparently been doing it this way for 20yrs and has worked for him and won't be getting in the boot any sooner. As most have come to know, he didnt really seem interested in anything after he did his test.

Talked to the nurses putting the cast on and maybe to get info that doing my ACL bed exercises was ok.....heel slide, quad contraction, static leg raise, hip abductors. This would at least help me feel better if nothing else.

Now off to work to tell the boss the news! smile

• Posted

I feel really fortunate having the aircast on from the start; even in the no weight on period I could take it off and change the sock and give it a careful wash.. care not to flex the foot.
  • Posted

Hi M15243, i had surgery 3 weeks ago for my Achilles repair surgery. I have heard many stories of people who have taken the non-surgical route, and 7 months down the line being told they have made great progress, it’s healing yet they can’t even tip toe? 

Before my surgery I couldn’t tip toe / push my toes off the ground whilst sitting down my foot would "flop". My Achilles was a clear full rupture. but after 3 weeks in a cast I put my tip toes to the floor and was able to push up (bit sore which you can expect, but I was curious) So there is me 3 weeks after surgery i can push my toes to raise my calf and I hear non-surgical route, 7 months down the line not able to do what i can do. Either way non-surgical route or surgical route is a long process.

• Posted

Yeah have read varying progress report and its quite interesting the difference in progress especially with those going the non-surgical route. Have read some people having the cast/boot on for 2months+ so i dont feel too bad that i will be two months in total and can start physio in 3 weeks time.

Plan is carry out additional research over the next three weeks so as to be able to make a comparison once the cast comes off. A formal request for a scan and surgery might be on the cards if i feel am not as far on as i my research as shown.

Am fairly happy that i could flex my foot today after the cast was taken off and i know that is only a small step and different to standing and putting weight on the leg.

Don't mind the long process and have cleared my schedule for quite some time sad.

Jordidude01, It would be great if you could continue to post your update on a weekly of bi-weekly basis just so i know what one might be able to do (taken into consideration you went the surgical route).

Are you now undertaken physio sessions? If so, at what stage/week did you start?

• Posted

I also did abit of research into which route to take up, i always planning on taking the surgical route after hearing results everyone had. It wasn't my choice in the end anyway due to the rupture being a clear break.

Flexing is a great start, Yes small steps but with achillies rupture its one baby step at a time, a very long recover process we both aint going to enjoy.  

I am in the early stages still i was told 4 weeks i would be in the cast, but due to the NHS actually getting me back in, its going to be on for 5 1/2 weeks. Not chuffed about it, but cant do much about it.

Currently in my 4th week of cast now, on the 26th i will be introduced to the "open boot" with wedges keeping my foot pointing down, then by each week a wedge will be taking out streching my achillies back to normal.

I will be happy to keep you informed about my progress!

• Posted

When I quizzed the consultant, his comment made sense; theres a good prospect that the tendon will heal by itself if not a complete rupture. Cutting you open has its own risks. After 4 weeks they still have the option of surgury if it hasnt joined up. My second month was easier, boot off to wash and I've been wiggling foot quite happily, and massaging it every evening. Calf muscle is noticably thin. Not using crutches except outside for a bit more stability. 

Does anyone know whenthe boot can come off for driving?? (Left foot, clutch pedal.) Been driving an automatic to get to work, but i want my car back! Physio starts in 10 days, after 2 weeks of no wedges.

• Posted

tim when i got my angled boot off they told me up to four weeks before i could drive , mine is the right foot, even then they said it is when i could do an emergency stop and be confortable . as well as insurance etc .

rob

• Posted

LALALALALALALAL I dont want to hear that!!  :-)

Mine is left, so an emergency stop should be ok... I drove back home after I popped the tendon using the heel and leg to de-clutch....

• Posted

Have to agree with tim. Tendon in my right leg is ruptured but still drove myself home using my heel after it happened.

Was told no driving for about two months after my acl surgery and was out driving after few weeks. Once my cast comes off and am on to the boot i will probably start driving when i feel up to it which will likely be sooner than am told.

One will have to be extra careful when driving and be more aware of other drivers and "try" not to end up in a situation where you will need the emergency stop.

• Posted

I've been driving an automatic that the company i work for has rented, but I think they are starting to wonder how long its going on for! Plus my MOT on my manual car is up in december!
    • Posted

Tim, given you are about 10weeks on, what is your flexing ability like?

Also how much time would you be spending in the car?

I started a new job a month ago which requires driving about 15-20mins 2/3 times a week to a different location and rest of the week is simply 5mins. I am currently simply getting a lift to and from the 5mins location which is good.

To ease myself back into driving, i will plan to go out for a 5-10mins drive in the evenings when i know the roads will be quiet. Outside of emergency break, the feet wont be doing anything that it shouldn't be doing.

Read the leaflet i was sent home with and i will be "on a hinged boot" once the cast comes off. It also says that the boot can be removed to shower, when going tp sleep, when sitting down and during physio which is a lot more than most are told from what i've read.

Are you currenty wearing the boot 24/7??

• Posted

hi i had the hinged boot with neoprene inner i did wear it 24/7 for a good while even for bed which is a little strange for a  time .in the end  i took it off for a bath which was a good releif i was just rying not to slip and land on me bad side . its been a week with me angle boot off and still not drove yet i will give it a go on a quiet industrial estate close to home on a early morning to get the feel .
    • Posted

I've had an Aircast Airselect  Standard right from the start, no plaster cast. First month on 24/7, 2nd month off for washing and sleeping but NO unsupported weight bearing. It holds the foot rigid, and I've had heel lifts gradually removed in the 2nd month. Not seen a "hinged boot". In the evenings watching tv with boot off and flexing the foot is no problem, just feels tight with the skin stetching. Walking round the office with no crutches now. The journey is a 30 minute commute, through rural A roads

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I cheated from the start, taking the boot off on the bed and carefull washing it with "Hibiscrub" with assistance every 3 days or so and changing the sock. Lots of Fabreeze spray and odouraters! I was VERY careful not to move the foot, but i thought a bed wash was safest
    • Posted

Mine was a complete rupture i had no choice in the matter at the end. I get my cast of on Wednesday now as they have brought forward my date due to a cancellation thank god! I'm hoping my achillies is coming along nicely and on the right road to recovery.

Its been a pain having to wash with this boot on! keeping my leg out of the bath is rather tricky. but hoping all is well on wednesday and the boot is off for good i can enjoy a shower or bath without finding it a mission.

• Posted

Good luck for wednesday; I'm still fingers crossed for walking without a boot on wednesday with the physio.... fingers crossed all round. I've been using a waterproof protector from Limbo Products to keep the Aircast dry in the shower. Excellent service, they made me an extra large one to fit over the boot for free, 24hour turn round. Flyers were in the fracture clinic!
    • Posted

tim i just wonder if all A/E are on commision for limbo as thats where i picked my leaflet up , i did use it for mine good products that work can bath in comfort without the flying leg.

rob

• Posted

That's great news Tim. I also picked up a leaflet from Limbo Products and will purchase one asap seeing the cast is coming off tomorrow (i hope).

Good luck for tomorrow!

• Posted

Getting closer! I ordered the large full leg thingy, but found that it didnt go over the Aircast; I emailed them and they asked for various measurments and did me a special, no extra charge. I'll sort out the email address if you like and send you the details if I can work out how to send. Its given 2 months regular use, no problems, except for once letting in some water when I didnt seal it right
    • Posted

Thanks again for the personal e-mail Tim, got one on order.

Cast is off now for good (i hope & touches wood) wearing the open boot now. So first day i have been finding it hard to walk with my left leg being on a heel and my right being flat. Its day one after all i am sure i will get the hang off it.

how have you delt with one leg being on a heel? I walked from the hospital to my house normaly 7 min walk, took me 20-25 mins. I'm walking without crutches i keep feeling a slight sting every now and then maybe my skin streching, normal?

• Posted

Sounds just the same as me; I'm going round like Quasimodo, definately a mode of walking that doesnt do my hips any good. Its slow going, but it gets easy quickly. Skin is still feeling a bit odd; slightly numb, occasional twinges from the tendon when i'm sitting still. Foot bones a bit tender and can get sore so i dont push it. All sounds tediously normal!
    • Posted

haha, well at least i am not along on that one. Im feeling the pain in my back and hip coming on as well. I have just obtained a shoe of my dad which its like a platform (his physio gave him it to used to use for his back). that has raised my height on my right leg making it so much simple to walk now even the weight on both legs when standing and walking. 
    • Posted

After seeing the physio I'm OUT OF THE BOOT (week 12) and in trainers walking carefully round the house. Foot still swollen, but no pain, and feels quite fragile. Have a series of exercises to do, and another appointment next week. There IS light at the end of tunnel!!!
    • Posted

hi tim when you say swollen how far up does the swelling go mine is up on the calf height, i read somewhere here that a lady still had swelling up to eight month , i am now on 3 months , i have foam shoe inserts one in each and normal footwear well what i can squeeze into foot and calf swell during the day drops on a morning when been to bed .light in the tunnel just cant see the end at the minute 

rob

• Posted

Its the foot itself and the area where the tendon rutptured, back of the lower leg, say 8 inches above the bottom of the heel. Like you, its fine in the morning and the evening when I keep it elevated, pumps up during hte day. Spoke tot he physio who said there was no one story about the cause of the swellin; his best guess was its fluid that gathers due to inactivity and drains away during the night. Now I'm bootless, I'll see if it improves as I try and be a bit more active. Felt shattered yesterday, first day of pottering about after 11 weeks of inactivity...

• Posted

thanks tim it is hard when the boot comes off , for me i was constantly trying to protect it which is understandable . i go back on december 16th to see phsyio/consultant i presume hopefully the swelling subsides.

thanks rob

• Posted

That is great news Tim, i bet it feels great walking around again. How is the flexability in your foot are you back to normal? i am at week 6 now since the opp so i am getting closer. Good look with the physio!
    • Posted

Mobility of the foot is fine, but the foot bones, especially round the toes are very painful, and the foot gets quite swollen; got my shoes back on again, but only just. Toe stands are not good, and balance is pretty poor; walking is ok, but i do limp quite badly. I think it just takes longer than I hoped! Driving my own car again which is nice; it even got through the MoT yesterday, in spite of being laid up for 2 months!
    • Posted

I found out in my reseach that most people do suffer with a limp when they are back in their own shoes. As well as standing on your toes is rather difficult at first, physio will sort that out.

Lucky for me i have given my car to my younger brother to loan in return of a 24 hours taxi service, so at least i dont have to worry about it being laid up and dying on me.

• Posted

The whole process just takes longer that I want... patience is difficult to learn :-)

Family can be really useful... my sister stayed with me for a week and we had a great time.. I suspect I'll be returning the favour when she has her hip replacement op just after xmas!

I trickle charged the battery and ran it for a while every couple of weeks; the worry was the brake disks being corroded and making horrid sounds; though after a couple of drives they cleaned off nicely

• Posted

I struggle with patience thats my problem.. I was told i would be in this boot for 4 weeks but looking at my doctors appointment that came through the post today it will be on for only 3 weeks? unless i'm getting my Ankle checked out i have no idea for the appointment. 

Flexability is coming along nicely, i am now able to stand with both my feet side by side (boot off, no pressure on my left leg at all as been told to keep boot on at all times) But i am happy with my progress in almost 2 weeks and havent removed a wedge yet.  

I agree, Family and my girlfriend have been great i wouldn't of been able to get to work or out my flat if it wasn't for them.

• Posted

48Hrs into week 5 and wearing the boot. First 24hrs in the boot was painful like most have found but the 3rd day seems fine. Started to feel much better yesterday evening that i walked home from work which was a mile. Didnt feel any pain but iced it soon as i got in and noticed today that i could stand with both feet together (boot off) which not something i could do on monday. 

Didn't get to see a physio on monday when i got the boot but have an appointment with one this friday and will post an update on what is said and exercise given.

• Posted

Are you sure its ok to weight bear without the boot at this stage??
    • Posted

My first 24 hours in the boot was also painful and very hard to walk on! I was the same about day 3-4 no problem with walking. I’m 2 weeks now in the boot and walking about with no problem.

I'd be careful weight bearing on both feet so early after coming out the cast, like Tim mentioned have you been giving the ok the weight bear on it?

• Posted

Certainly do not have the ok to weight bear without the boot. Just to clarify, i had the two feet together but there was pretty much no weight on the injured leg. Was more a test of how much the tendon had stretched over given the pain wearing the boot had subsided.
    • Posted

I just didnt have any intuitive idea on how the tendon was healing and joining up again; just imagine a knife cut on my finger and assume its the same sort of process as that, with the gap filling in the skin re-joining. Its easy to pull it apart before the structure has grown back so I just left it as immobile and stress free for as long as possible, on the assumption that any scar tissue and stiffness can worked out with physio and exercises. Wish I'd paid more attention in biology!

• Posted

Just an update. Now end of week 5 (post injury) and 1st week in boot with two wedges (one to be taken off every two weeks).

Exercise undertaken as instructed

Full weight bearing about 5 hrs after been given the boot.

Plantar and Dorsi flex ROM

Sideways and circular ROM

Towel resistance exercise

Icing the tendon

Others undertaken

Have walked about a mile a day with the boot for 4days. Notice big difference after day 2

Down to one wedge after 3days (this should be after two weeks) and have had no troubles or pain. Physio was informed about this on Friday and says it’s ok as long as there is little or bearable pain

Standing on each foot for 5secs the past two days

Driving since Friday with no little or no problem but seat had to be moved back. Able to move seat forward by one click and drove today without any pain.

Also been massaging the ankle/tendon and calf. I do get a lot of relief and some pain from these but can feel the difference.

All in all, been a good 1st week in the boot and the flexibility (pulling and pointing) is on par with the good foot. Calf is better rounded than a week ago

Plan for week 6

To be on an exercise bike on Friday (expecting it to swell so hence leaving it till Friday to not be in pain at work)

Start wearing running shoes in the house as the wedge/heel on these are quite high.

Body squats on/off the bed/chair

Hoping these will help with strengthening the tendon and especially the calf muscle.

Doing quite a fair amount of activities which i have been instructed not to do but I don’t see how 4 ankle ROM exercises would help me in the long run. These might seem “aggressive” if not stup1d but I do take care in what I am doing and listening to my body.

• Posted

Its crazy that it seems my doctor is a lazy so and so and said "here is your open boot see you in 6 weeks" compared to your Doctor who gave you the wedge and has given you all these excersies ect to do?

I see you wrote down;

Exercise undertaken as instructed

Towel resistance exercise

Icing the tendon

Others undertaken

could you go into what your doctor has told you to help with recovery? i have been told nothing!

Your driving i was told i cant drive?

• Posted

All the consultant told me was to take the boot off as much as possible and undertake the dorsi/plantar/rotation as much as possible. It was the physio (4 days later) that gave me the other exercises. 

Just to clarify, the towel resistance is for when pushing down the foot which works the calf muscle. The massage, walking etc are from research and only incorporating them when i feel up to it. Another exercise that i do religiously is the seated calf raises which works mainly the calf.

Both the physio and the consultant said no driving till i come out of the boot (Dec 29) but was curious after going down to one heel and didn't have any problem. Had to move the seat a few clicks back but have since returned the seat to normal. I did tell the physio that i was down to one heel and she was ok with it after seeing me walk a bit and going up/down steps

Two things that i think helped are religiously doing the ROM exercises even at work (once in my seat, take boot off and start the basic up/down/circle movement). The other i think is actually walking home from work in the boot (granted not everyone will be able to do this but even a 5-10mins walk regardless of distance might help).

• Posted

I have had the open cast on for over 2 weeks now, on my 6 week post op check up i was given the boot no physio yet, only time i have spoken to a physio was day of my op about the crutches and exercises to do whilst in my cast.

8 week post op is wednesday so i will talk about exercises and physio ect with the doctor.I have been taking my wedges out every 2 weeks as told, i havent rushed that what made you do that; I have been walking about without the boot on in my house these past couple days and seem to be doing fine apart the limp that everyone seems to have.

• Posted

Have been walking in the house without the boot also but using running shoes which help the foot roll. I am also purposely taking it easy and using small steps to avoid walking without a limp ensuring i roll my foot from heel to toes. As you can imagine it takes a while getting from point A to point B doing this but i am trying to eliminate/minimise the length i would be walking with a limp.

One of my last exercise the past two nights has been walking forward and backwards with running shoes on. The walking backwards being the most challenging.

The other is rollng onto and off my toes like an impatient person waiting for a bus. Don't do too much of this as I find it very very difficult.

Staitonery bike ride and small weighted squats are on my to-try-list for the weekend coming.

• Posted

I think the more I look at the medical system, illness and treatment in general, the more variation there seems; there is no "this happens - do that to fix it" simple solution; it dpends on so many different factors, and luck on who you see. IMO a lot depends on how much you are prepared to work and exercise to help; I was told by physio yesterday how many people just expect it to get better by itself
    • Posted

Hello,

So post 8 week op appointment today (even though its been 9 weeks). Rather disappointed on how i was spoke to and handled today by the NHS, the doctor was more interested in teaching his student how the Achilles tendon snaps than answering my questions. Tamping!

I told him that my ankle was coming along nicely and that i had been walking about and i think because my youth maybe i should take the boot off sooner rather than later and start on physio.

I was told it doesn't matter that i am 24, i still have to keep the boot for another 4 WEEKS! Even though i have already had it on for 3 weeks?

I was told not to walk without my boot on and do not do any stretches or try anything as this may do me more damage than good in the long run.

Having Tendonitis which lead to the snap i been worried about my right Achilles tendon as its a lot smaller and thinner than most people as i compared it to my family and girlfriend. i asked the Doctor what to do and he said "you'll be fine" i couldn't believe that was the answer.

Seems I’m going to be going to my GP the last thing i need is another tendon going in the right ankle!

• Posted

Really sorry to hear that. Can't say i am overly surprised by your treatment but very very surprised they are having you wear the boot for another 4weeks.

From what i've read, the rupture is generally 50% healed by week 4 and almost 100% by week 6-8 depending on the individual of course.

Did they at least carry out any checks on the strength of the foot/achilles? Even when i had the cast off the consultant did at least made me push against he's hand to check the strength and checked how far i could bring the foot towards me and also checked on the tendon (tho painful as it was when he did it).

I was told that at week 8, you are assessed as to whether you have to continue in the boot for another 4weeks or whether it can be taken off but at this point, there will be no wedge in the boot and you will be given strengthening exercises.

I can therefore understand why they might want you to continue wearing the boot outside due to many things that could go wrong but I thought they might encourage you to wean over in house on maybe even shoes with wedges.

What about exercises to be doing between now and your next consultation? Sure post week 8, they should be giving you slightly "harder" exercises to do.

• Posted

I was told i would have the boot on for 4 weeks when my cast would be taken off. its been 3 weeks yet i am being told i have to have it on for another 4 weeks. I said to the doctor i was told 4 weeks and he said they wouldnt of told me 4 weeks, even though i can assure you they did.

Yes the doctor made me push my foot against his hand and said its really strong coming along good. Which makes me more confused to why i have to have it on for another 4 weeks!?

Yes he also checked my tendon giving it a good feel pressing his hand towards it, i had no pain at all. it feels very strong back to normal. i believed the next step is physio, which he assured me is not for me yet whilst still in the boot. compared to what your doctor has told you?

No courage at all, just seems i been told to keep it in the boot and thats that. No I haven't had any excerises to do not one since being in the open boot. i was told excersies whilst in my hard cast after surgery that is all.

• Posted

Hi Jordan - how is your repair and rehab progressing?

- I managed to have a complete rupture of my left leg's acholles tendon a week ago, while playing badminton. Checked out 4 doctors - all suggested open surgery best option for active people. 

- So open surgery was done 4 days ago and they kept me in hospital for a day more on IV etc to monitor

- Been given a fibre glass splint wrapped with bandage for my ankle which keeps the foot in planatarflexion, angled down. 

- Am told need to get surgery bandage changed every 5 days

- Am using crutches for walking without putting any pressure at all on the affected leg - which is exhausting and tiring on both sides of the hip, and very tough when going to the loo and bath etc!!

- I understand that i would need to remain in the splint for 3-4 weeks and no load bearing pressure on the leg; after that, apparently i get into an air cast boot, but also no load bearing for another 5-6 weeks; after that probably slow return to start walking on both legs

- My physio has already started (day after surgery) to develop strength in upper body and upper leg muscles

Does this sound okay ? I am worried about what to do or not, so that i can get back to faster healing and active life, maybe swimming rather than badminton. Everyone stresses on the physio to me and of course no load bearing at all.  

Hope you are doing well

• Posted

Going into the 3rd week of my recovery. Was in a cast for a week. Now I am in an open boot with wedges as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.