achilles rupture recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I ruptured my achilles April 2 2016. Went non operative. 2 casts in first 4 weeks, air boot for 5 weeks with 4 cm lifts taking out 1 cm each week weight bearing started when aIr boot was put on. No pain to date. Okayed to start walking 1 to 2 hours per day in a regular shoe and start physio in 6 days. Started walking yesterday for the first time for the 1 to 2 hour stretch. Used crutches stood with both legs together full weight. Foot feels very strange terrified about reinjuring so walked with crutches in 5 minute increments for 4 times. Felt warm in calf area so took it very slow. Unsure how much is too much as I have not had any pain through whole process. Input from you would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi there! I feel like everyone's recovery is different, and it's always best to follow the advice of your doctor and ask them first if you are unsure.

That being said, I ruptured my Achilles tendon on April 3rd and have only taken one wedge out of my walking boot so far. When I do my heel raises (both feet) I am not even coming down to 90° yet. However, I am a dancer and my doctor wants my tendon to heal short.

When I asked my doctor how much discomfort I should be in when walking in my boot without crutches, she said as long as it wasn't a sharp, acute pain I was ok.

So I think not having pain is a good sign for you, but ask your doctor if you are really unsure. Happy healing!

• Posted

Thanx for the comments. One of my concerns is until I start physio I have not been told to do any exercises, stretches, etc. I am an active 50 year old & was a ukrainian dancer for many years with no injuries in the past. I have read alot about recovery & keep thinking I should be working on mobility of my foot. I guess patience is the key..
    • Posted

I have been doing some ankle mobility exercises all with my foot pointed down. I move it from side to side, lift the big toe while keeping the other toes down and vice versa. Plus doing heel raises with my heels coming down onto a thick book. I have a theraband that I've started to use for some resistance too.

I haven't started physio yet either, but my orthopaedic doctor gave me these exercises based off the University of Western Ontario research.

• Posted

Sounds like you are on the right track... 65 years, conservative tretment, active gym and walking here, popped the tendon 18 months ago. I did foot rotations and bungee stretches as soon as i was weight bearing, and that seemed to help get back onto my feet again. The tendon is fine, but the calf muscle is still weak, though I'm walking pretty much ok now, 5 miles on rough terrain is fine. The tendon is fine but the the hip, ham sttingd and calf muscles seem to take forever to get back to normal....
    • Posted

Tim, thanķ you for your input. I think I will be fine in the hip & hamstring area but had not thought too much about it before. However, the calf muscle has nothing. Especially compared to the other that is very strong. I do have a stationary exercise bike & am seriously considering using this every day. However, not sure if this should be in boot or out at this stage. Will ask Physio when I start later this week. My next Doc appointment is not until end of July. Did you do any bike work? Glad to hear uneven ground is fine for you, that had me concerned as I usually spend alot of time in my yard & garden. Good to hear that things worked out very well for you. I also golf alot all summer & curl all winter so I was hoping I could resume golf by end of summer & start curling in November.
    • Posted

I was amazaed at how quickly the calf muscle wasted away; its only now (+18 month) that I can JUST about toe stand on that leg. I found it very hard doing the physio exercises; every day .. day after day.... regularly.. it requres so much discipline! I think because I couldn't push off with that leg when walking (the calf provides the bounce!) then my gait was wrong.. that threw extra pressure on the hip, lower back and ham strings thats taken time to recover. Its fine on the gym treadmill, but that doesnt require as much calf work (so say the physio) I go the gym 2 or 3 times a week and use the bike, cross trainer, treadmill and some g the leg curl and extension machines, but to be honest I prefer walking!
    • Posted

How often did you go to Physio and do you still go? I started walking in a shoe two days ago. Doc said okay for 1 to 2 hours with a cane or crutches. I thought awesome no problem & asked how to progress from there. Doc said progress as much as you can yourbody will tell you when to stop (pain). I barely fit into my shoe then the walking felt very scary. Not sure if I am supposed to try regular walking (use the joint) or just continue with injured foot step forward & bring good foot to injured & repeat. That is the type of walking I was / am doing with the boot/ air cast. So I walked around the house for 10 to 15 minutes continuously at 2 different times of the day. Then biked for 10 mintes & did the toe curls & stretches. When I sat down to relax my foot was extremely hot so I put some ice on it. I plan to do the same today with an increase in the walking slightly say 5 minutes each session. I guess I worry that I should have been told to start mobility sooner then now. Also Doc is not big into details like actual machanics of walking, she just said start walking.
    • Posted

I had about 6 weekly sessions with the physio; balance and going through various exercises. I went back again (self reffered) as I felt I wasnt making enough progress after a year.. it may not return to 100% functional :-(

The physio was good on the mechanics of walking, and explained how my walking was getting into bad habbits.. that certainly helped. Definately the right advice, use it till it becomes uncomfortable, then ice and elevation. My foot is still a bit swollen; I've gone up a shoe size for those occasions when it still swells. The other problem I didnt mentin was nerve damage; the ball of my foot still feels a bit numb, though again slowly improving. I now walk downstairs without feeling I need to hold the rail! The tendon needs to heal properly before you start pushing it.. hence the no weight and partial weight regime.. mine feels ok now

• Posted

So far no numbness so that is good. But did feel tingling after doing the toe stretches. When I was 100% in the boot it was difficulto sleep so was relieved in week 9 Doc said I could take it off to sleep. However, in the morning it is very stiff when I put it into the boot, I now understand why she wanted it kept in the boot all the time previous. Thanx for input it helps to understand the normal effect of everything new I try. Like the fact that swelling is expected & not a bad result of something I did. When I get into Physio on Thursday they will probably be alot of help with details of what exactly to do and the effects I can expect. Your comments much appreciated as this injury recovery leaves you with alot of time to sit & think & worry. It leaves you also isolated because of the lack of mobility which then leads to a lack of socialization. Also most of the information I read about concerns the negatives of recovery. Have a great day
  • Posted

I started stationary biking today (9wk mark) with my boot on and it felt great! My doctor says I can take my boot off to bike as long as my leg has a 145° angle, but I didn't want to risk it. But man did it ever feel good to do some cardio! I iced the tendon just in case, but so far no pain.

My double foot heel raises are getting a bit better too, especially after I massage the tendon and calf a bit. It is so true that you need to be disciplined, stay positive and take things a day at a time!

• Posted

The stationery bike does feel good, exercise is the key to positive thoughts.I have not been on the bik on a regular schedule but started back yesterday & going to try to do 15 + minutes a day. I am still bicycling with my boot but going to ask Physio later this week what my best option would be.

Good & Positive thoughts for the day.

• Posted

I have now been walking for 4 days with crutches. Seem like the crutches are a security blanket. My walking consists of 3 - 20 minute sessions of continuous walking around the house. The walking is not regular& comfortable yet. I have alot of questions for Physio about the actual mechanics of walking. I sem to be favouring my injured achille because I don't want to push too hard. I am being very cautious, but maybe I need to not think & just walk.overthinking seems to be my downfall. I have also rode the bike 3 days in a row about 15 minutes/ day. Knees feel sore, not sure if from walking or biking?

Todays is day 5 of walking. Yeah.

• Posted

It has been 2 weeks since I started waĺking. I have had 3 physio therapy appointments. Walking without crutches, ankle/calf area still stiff making my walking gait not normal yet. Working hard on exercises to regain ankle flexibility and it is coming along. Problem I am finding is that my ankle swells when at work because I mostly sit at work. Tried sitting with leg fully extended in front but still swells. Tried different shoes & different socks but no change. So after work day have to spend time icing & elevating before I can start walking & exercising. Trying to figure out how to stop the swelling.

Otherwise, progress is good. Walking, driving, getting more flexible, starting to work on gaining strength in calf. Life is getting better all the time.

• Posted

Hi, I ruputed my left achilles tendon 5 days ago. It happend while walking at work, no extra pressure, no funny moves, just snapped. I was wondering how did yours happen? I am on non weight bearing cast for 6-8 weeks. Using crutches and wheelcair at the moment. I have lots of other problem such as bad back, shoulders and wrist, which makes it very difficult to manage. I am very frustrated and angry with myself, had to cancel a planned family holiday and lots of other interruptions as you konw. I also was wondering if I am allowed to drive an Automatic car? Are you taking any supplements?

I wish you and the others a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

I ruptured my right achilles Ukrainian dancing. Not something I do very often these days. Not taking any supplements. Best Advice eat well, sleep as much as you need. Elevate as much as possible. Keep busy that will keep you positive. Write letters, read books, start learning a new language, start a journal recording your recovery. This forum is absolutely awesome to reach out to others in recovery. I was not allowed to drive an automatic until 12 weeks.

Good luck, one day at a time, is one day further in your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.