Achilles Tendon Cut

Posted , 5 users are following.

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

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had ruptured my right Achilles 8/16 and surgery done 8/22. Back to work 9/14 but was in a partial cast 17 days. I was in boot for about 4 weeks after sutures removed have had to deal with swelling and occasional pain. Started driving 10/6 and am getting stronger each day. Not uncommon the swelling from what I was told so I'd check with your surgeon. Goodluck

• Posted

I have not had the same surgery. That said I have sustained serious injuries.

If you surgeon finds no adverse cause, it simply needs time.

Push the therapy to the pain point and back off a bit. Perhaps consider a very warm bath...place you foot lat against the end of the tub and push, holding the pressure...release...rest...and repeat. ...attempt ten reps...go for quality, not speed. Also stand up and mimic the walking motion while the foot and ankle are under the water.

The very arm water will relax the muscle making this both easier and less painful.

Right now I am coaching a long frozen lbow along. It was replaced and i am yet n the non weighr bearing stage. Remember, you are convincing a muscle and its tendon to move orrectly after traumatic injury.

It will happen...the worst is behind you. .And t will continue to improve for up to five years. As time passes, the rate of improvement will slow.

Kins regards,

Judith

• Posted

Hi Ketta,

Don't worry, same symptoms here. Swelling and pain will be common the more you push. It's frustrating but remember that you have 2 objective. The first is healing, which is a long process, and then getting the strength back in the ankle and calf. I'm sure they told you that you have to ice and lift it up as much as you can. I suggest you do an ultrasound check, I did mine and had an infection causing swelling, had to take steroids for 10 days.

Good luck and keep it up. it'll work out.

Raed

• Posted

Thanks I sure hope it all works out. It just seems really long to still not be able to walk without crutches. Everyone else with ATR rather than a cut of the AT seems to have no pain and walking. Thank you for your hope.
  • Posted

Ketta, when I had surgery, I was told I would only need one week off work and that I could put weight on it immediately.  There was no way I could put weight on it for about a month. I was on crutches for almost 2 months. I wore a boot most of that time. I propped my foot up every chance I got for about 8 months after surgery.  I also had a pin through my tendon and 2 screws on either side of it to keep it from moving out of place.  I was in a lot of pain for months and the swelling is not 100% gone. It seems strange that you should still require crutches 4 months after surgery.  I could not wear closed shoes for about a year and it is quite hit or miss to this day. One foot is larger than the other now and the site of the incision is quite tender 2-1/2 years later.  What does your doctor say about the need for crutches?
    • Posted

Hello, thank you for your response. My Dr. says that its fear he also then said the nerves are going crazy in my foot. I am not experiencing nerve symptoms, but pain that feels like I need to pop the ankle in a couple of places. Being on crutches for 4 months until this day is why I am posting. I should be walking by now. I feel like I have to heal myself without the Dr., as he doesn't really listens to me and wants to put me on antidepressants.

• Posted

I completely understand your fear. It's a strange feeling to walk without crutches, especially when your ankle feels weird. You feel like something bad might happen. You will know when it's time to put them aside. It's good that he doesn't see a problem with the tendon. Maybe you need a second opinoin.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Ketta,

Everytime anyone sustains a serious injury, gets screw back together, must be non weight bearing for a time it will be difficult teaching your brain that if you weight bear you may cause temporary pain without injuring yourself,

Try using one crutch on the opposite side of the injury...move this crutch when you move the recovering leg.

And do not forget the very warm tub exercises.,,

I know...been there...done that...now glad I did.

• Posted

I have had one crutch in use maybe 2 months ago. I had trouble keeping my balance and was leaning on my non injured side. PT instructed me to go back to using two crutches. Im feeling there isn't a soul in the world who has been on crutches as long as I am. I feel lonely as I have searched and searched for similar stories. I will try the warm bath exercises. Thank you for the great advice.

• Posted

Ketta,

You are not alone!

Perhaps your PT will teach you parafin soaks...but I prefer the bathtub ROM in very, very warm water...like soak 30 minutes...massage...then put a wool sock in. Warm tendons move much easier. Take a book, the tv, whatever allows you to relax and spend time...four times a day optimum...

Cheering you on,

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.