Achilles tendon pain(regrowing)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I fully ruptured my Achilles at the end of October. So I'm about 7 weeks post op and doing physical therapy. I don't have many options to choose from for PT because of the size of my town and I'm w/o insurance. So I'm basically on my own.

3 weeks ago I started band exercises and experienced a lot of pain in my calf (expected).

But this last week they started having me walk in a boot with crutches and I'm experiencing a lot of pain on the top inside of my thigh. To the point of if I shift it pains me. And trying to walk is a cruel joke.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Any remedies?

I've tried stretching, heating, cooling, and even a tens unit on it. It's all very temporary relief.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I just started PT last week and my surgery was in late August (workers comp takes forever to approve everything).  I am just partial weight bearing and walking in a boot.  My PT consists of range of motion stuff mostly for right now, I'm going 3 times a week.  I am still in a lot of pain, especially on the sides of my heel and up the back of my leg, it's like a sharp stabbing pain.  Also, my foot still swells and has turned a purplsh tint.  I go to the Dr. tomorrow so hopefully he'll be able to help me out with that.  The pain will wake me up in the middle of the night and it can be difficult to bear during the day unless I'm on pain meds.  I too had a full rupture.
    • Posted

Mine is partial weight as well. I noticed two days ago the leg turning a purple color after getting back from some hot tub time.

I experienced the sharp pain in my calf mostly on the outside but also in the back.

Now I'm dealing with it in my thigh. Anytime I stand up or staighten my leg it is incredibly painful and slowing the progress of my therapy.

• Posted

Hello Ksmattson,

I ruptured my achilles back in March 2013 and from memory the transistion from plaster cast to orthopaedic boot was not an easy one. I experienced quite abit of pain at times, but this was mostly due to the tendon being gradually stretched again. I sometimes had pain/cramps and pins and needles in my calf but I have to admit I don't recall any pain in my thigh area.

You could be experiencing discomfort because of the way you are moving on your crutches. Are they adjusted correctly?  Your weight might not be evenly distributed enough and so you are putting extra pressure on your upper leg. I would suggest you check this out with your physiotherapist to see if any adjustments can be made.

7 weeks post op is still very early days in terms of your rehab. Don't be tempted to push yourself too hard, you'll only end up giving yourself more pain and agony. I had to wear my boot for at least 12 weeks and even after that I still needed it occasionally when the achilles area flared up. Slow and steady is the best way to treat this injury.

Good luck !

Ladykudos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.