Achilles Tendon problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 3 months ago I ruptured my Achilles tendon, I oevrstepped coming down stairs and my foot was hyper extended,I heard a whip like crack and had excruciating pain in my left heel, my foot was completely floppy, the Doctors here in Thailand where I currently live  didn't splint it but told me to walk on my heels to maintain the "equus position" and keep my foot elevated as much as possibleafter abut 6 weeks swelling of my foot was gone and I could walk with little discomfort however 3 weeks ago I crossed the road and my foot wasn't fully on the pavement and my tendon went again with a loud snap and pain, I have kept the weight off my foot this time almost completelyand the healing seems to have gone better  however I dont want to risk a third incident, how can I keep cardio vascular exercise going without risk to my tendon, any suggestions?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey Brian

if it's a total rupture you need to non weight bear for at least 2-4weeks or you will always run the risk of rupturing again. The more successive ruptures you have the harder it is to repair!

• Posted

Yes I found that out the hard way, the second rupture was excruciating pain but only after about 15 mins, unfortunately where I was at the time I had to hobble back to my car, fortunately it is a automatic or I really would have been up the proverbial withou a paddle as we were 2 hours from home and my wife doesn't drive
    • Posted

Brian

its a shame your in Thailand, seems they deal with things very different to here in the uk although not all are happy with the nhs lol, pacehuman is right though this jury could have a major impact if not dealt with properly!! First off you need either surgery then into plaster or straight into plaster for at least 2-4 weeks, you will need to non weight bear for the tendon to repair 2-4 weeks , then normally an airboot!! I am fit and well but was told it would be 12 weeks b4 i will be able to walk unaided, am hoping to come in a bit early than that but will see. Without doing any of the above you will face more ruptures!!!!

• Posted

Mate

How is your Achilles now? Did you had any plaster ir Air boot? Or any other precuation?

Cheers

• Posted

Still very weak and cannot suport my weight, no prosthetics at all, told to walk on my heels like a penguin! After having the second rupture I kept my foot elevated for 2 weeks and kept of it as much as possible, unfortunately medical care in Thailand is very expensive & my current insurer refused to cover my injury as the country was under military law after a coup and according to their rules this invalidates my policy. I still dont get a rebate although I paid for 12 months in advance! the advice given to me by a hospital Dr cost me 3500 Baht( about £75.00 GBP) but I did get some diclofenic, I purchased the same from a local pharmacy along with something to reduce Oedema which cost me 45 Baht (less than a pound for two weeks supply)
    • Posted

Hi Brian

So its been almost 4 months and still you are in no change, not good my friend, i wouldsuggest you to spend some miney and get a proper orthopadic surgeon advice.

AT is a very serious injury, dont take it lightly otherwise you will have serious problem with your injury.

Thx

• Posted

as I said previously Healtcare is expensive in Thailand, for me to get a good Orthopod & anaesthetist would almost cost me an arm & a leg lol, the overall cost would be in the region of £6,500 to £7,000 but they won't tell you in advance what it will cost as they say they dont know what repair their going to do until they go in and post op is the same, hey will give you a minimum charge, I hope to be back in the UK in the near future & as an ex BioMed technician in anaethetics I know the best place to get treatment and also know a very good orthopod even in the NHS
    • Posted

Thats great Brian!! But be careful as its not a minor injury!!

Hope you recover quick!!

• Posted

Seems we are all having different probs with the same thing. I went for a walk this morning putting as much weight on the AT as I was comfy with but now in a lot of discomfort  but this is what I was told to do, thought I had broken the pain barrier until I hit physio! How wrong was I!
  • Posted

Now back in the UK for 2 months, achilles tendon still painful and cannot bear any weight, have seen the Orthopods, they have told me that after an MRI scan that it is only scar tissue that's holding the tendon together, and have advised re-constructive surgery with possible tendon grafting from another site, 6-12 weeks in a cast and then 12 weeks in a boot, will probably have to wait another 8-10 to get surgery, going to be an exciting Xmas this year!
    • Posted

further to the above, had surgery scheduled for Jan 3rd, told the Orthopod was going to Thailand 12Feb, he told me either reschedule the trip to mid March or wait to have the op at least 6 weeks after I come back as the risk of DVT was too great, I couldnt delay the trip as my daughter is graduating from university on the 14th and she obviously want my wife & I to be there so i am now back in Thailand until the 18th Feb when I will return to reschedule my Op, fortunately the consultant said he would put me straight on hislist as he was keeping the case open for me! watch this space, I just hope it is true what he saidand I dont have to start again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.