Achilles Tendon Rupture/re-rupture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

Ruptured my achilles tendon on 4th October, went for conservative treatment but re-ruptured after 10 weeks. Had surgery second time round on 16th December. Currently at week 8 and boot is due to come off next week and then physio starts.

I am thinking about gettng some private physio (as well as NHS) to help and speed up recovery. Would anyone else recommend this? Or is the NHS physio sufficent.....

Many thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ouch... but thats why the conservative option is the first call.. theres always the operation option. I had conservative treatment 16months ago, tendon is fine and the NHS physio got me back walking ok,but I don't think I hit the exercises with enough dedication.. calf muscle weakness is still about 70%. I went back (self reffered) to NHS physio and got a new set of exercises. I have had private physio, but imo its all a bit hit and miss how good the physio is and if you can work with them. AND you MUST KEEP DOING THE EXERCISES :-(

• Posted

I just finished week 4 so have not gotten that far.  I would ask the PT what their

thoughts were on getting some private physico and maybe the PT would have someone they recommend.

Have you done any ROM  or waling on the foot since the operation?

Any lessons learned from the re-rupture?  Did you do early weight bearing?

Hope it all works out.  I have my first PT meeting today and I believe ROM only

with the exercises starting in 2 weeks...

• Posted

Hi Steve

Wish I could tell you why it happened, was just in the kitchen, turned round and it went. It just hadnt fixed itself properly and wasnt strong enough. I was walking on it alot that day as it was my last working day before xmas, when I turned I think I may of kept my foot on the floor and initially just turnt my leg (if that makes sense), think it was just habit. Perhpas I should of lifted my foot instead of swivelling

I havent done anything since the op apart from moving my ankle slighly when I take my boot of at night. For the past week I have been walking in the boot. Did you have the op?

• Posted

No I went for non-oper.  which is rare in the US. 

I went non-oper based on canadian studies.   So far my dr. (orpho. surgeon) has me following this Canadian study.

Accelerated Rehabilitation Program For Non –Operative Treatment of Achilles Tendon Ruptures1 which was adapted from: 

Willits K, Amendola A, Bryant D, Mohtadi NG, Giffin JR, Fowler P, Kean CO,Kirkley A, Operative versus nonoperative treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures: a multicenter randomized trial using accelerated functional rehabilitation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Dec 1;92(17):2767-75. Epub 2010 Oct 29.

I think he follows this for operation and non-oper.  The studies all show that early Range of Motion and gradual added weight  bearing followed by strength exercises is the key to success. Unfortunately, it is percent based so it seems you can do everything right and still re rupture.  at least that is what I found.

Really sorry to hear about your re rupture.  It is hard to believe how depressing this can be and going thur it 2 xs I can't imagine.

good luck with your PT  and let us know how it goes

• Posted

Hi I was 12 1/2 weeks post surgery an today re ruptured it again waiting to go back to the surgeon how was your second op and was your scar bigger and worse than before any info would help cause they say it rare that it re ruptures and it's only 5% chance it goes again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.