Achilles Tendon Rupture Recovery

Posted , 32 users are following.

Ruptured my achilles and had operation 17weeks ago. Still limping a fair amount with some pain despite gradually developing strength in the calf. Single heel raises limited but I can take weight whilst walking on my toes. Physio seems to think I should be further ahead and walking without limp or pain. In other's experience how long might I be in pain walking and limping?

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi David, I'm 17 weeks this Saturday and I can't do heal raisers at all and can't walk on my toes and I've  been told I'm doing really well! I didn't have surgery tho, so if you did there may be a difference. I'm still limping and in pain with each step. Calf is VERY weak and I'm starting a new strengthening programme next week with my physio (a more aggressive one) I go to the pools 2-3 times a week which has helped too. My physio has told me the pain is from the tendon stretching, so the more it's stretched the less pain it will cause (once it's stretched to normal length) I'm so over this injury, can't wait to feel normal again!!
    • Posted

Hi Ness, thanks for that I guess it's a question of time. I do see some improvement in strength, my two footed heel raises are more controlled in both concentric and eccentric phase but I seem to have remained fairly static in terms of the pain and limp while walking. That's the frustration. How are you with the two foot raises. Interesting to hear your physio say it's more about flexibility rather than strength. I'd better do more stretching!
    • Posted

hello ness, i m himanshu before 3 months i had a injuriy in my left ankle so i got stiched that for 10 days after that i was not comfortable to walk smoothly then i met to orhtheopedic surgeon. he said there is partial tear tendon for that he immobilized my leg for  weeks and till now i m not comfortable to walk smoothly i feel streched at the time of walking.. for that my physio therapy is going on.. doctor said i need surgery

what should i do now ? continue physio therapy or go for surgery?or it is normal to get streched in walking.. i m also not able to stand on my toes or normal running ?

• Posted

I'm 10 months after surgery.  I still have trouble standing for long periods.  I get gimpy after standing and walking much of the evening at work.  Worst of all I get dizzy allot from standing.  But I'm still making progress.  Tendinitis has derailed my progress.  I've had set backs.  Watch out for tendinitis.  Mix in some eccentric heal lifts.  They help to make walking more fluid.  But anything you do new, add it slowly and gradually.  

You sound like your alright.  Just keep plugging along consistently, and don't strain that tendon too much.

• Posted

Hi Danny, yeah good advice. How do you distinguish between normal pain from the injury and tendinitis? Managing the eccentric phase pretty well with double feet raises but single very limited in terms off range of movement. 
    • Posted

That's a good question.  It is hard at times to tell what's going on with a surgically repaired leg.  I've had Achilles tendinitis years ago so I know what it feels like.  At times I really struggle to interpret the pain I'm feeling in my repaired leg.  If I tried to describe how Achilles tendinitis feels I'd probably fail.

If you can find a good calf machine at a gym, you could work the max weight you can handle with with the entire range of motion on that leg and throw out the restrictions of either one legged our two legged calf lift or heel drop using body weight.

• Posted

Hi david i seen your post and was wondering if you or anyone for that matter reading this could answer my question. I'm 2 weeks post op now, just had a new fresh cast put on for the next two weeks.

My doctor hasnt explained much regarding time and the "open cast / moon boot" he called it. Do you know how long you have that on for? i dont really no what else to expect.

Whilst at hospital yesterday, for my new cast i asked the doctor the next step but he said he doesn't have the "file notes" as it wasn't the doctor who performed the surgery. Thought i was meant to have my new cast on for another 4 weeks and i know its only two. (ridicous or what). 

• Posted

Hi Jordi, when you say a 'fresh cast', I assume you mean a solid cast not a boot. If so you are on the same protocol as I followed, in which case after a further two weeks, you will be in a boot for another 4 weeks. Whilst you are in this boot you will be asked to remove a heel support 'wedge' every week or so. After the four weeks you will be back in two shoes but if you're like me still hobbling a fair bit. My best advice would be to get in boot ASAP and do as much 'non-weight bearing' movements and gentle stretches as possible.

We are far too conservative in this country and total immobilisation for what will be eight weeks causes significant muscle loss and while it does protect the tendon most research now indicates this is well over the top. I was lucky to some extent and went to Italy and saw a othorpedic surgeon there and I started physio, allbeit in a pool, at beginning week 6 where as in this country they often don't suggest physio until week 8. In Italy it can be after week 2 which just goes to show what is possible if you get a fairly aggressive surgeon. If you look at the research it indicates  that the tendon is well over 50% healed at end of week 4 so gentle non- weight bearing stretches are perfectly safe.

• Posted

Hi David, 

Yes i meant the solid cast excuses my use of words.

Ok thank you for the information very helpful. 

How far are you into your recovery now david? I heard stories of people walking with no problems 4 months after surgery? (praying i am one of them haha)  

• Posted

I tore my achilles completely at work , when a stool I was standing on collapsed, it went undiagnosed for 4 weeks while I walked around on it, so I couldn't have the operation, I had 2 casts for 2 weeks each then a boot for 6 weeks, the insurance company paid for pilates sessions and I had physio as well I worked really hard but safely every day. I still am walking with a crutch, I can manage without but I am nervous everyone kept on about retears, my consultant was very negative and said it may affect my movement permanently. You do have to be careful and not rush at things.It is a very serious injury
    • Posted

Your still on crutches after pilate sessions and physio?

May i ask how old you are odette. I had also ruptured my Achillies, since then i have had surgery and just under 2 weeks away from getting my cast off.

• Posted

I am 56 ,don't forget my injury was missed for 4 weeks , physio discovered it, so couldn't have operation it needs to be carried out within 7 days. Quite glad I didn't though I have spoken tp people who say it is still too tight after 3 years. I have also been told by all different ages the prognosis is 18 months - 2 years for full functionality. And accounts of re-tears which are 12-15% higher when it heals naturally. 
    • Posted

I know how that is Odette, i ruptured in May!! i went to A&E and was told it was a sprained ankle even though i told them off the pain i went through as it felt like a snapped my bone... Month later in June i went to GP sent me back to Hospital for scans which showed a complete rupture. August / September the Hospital lost my information then i went on away for a few weeks, so only had it the operation late October. Im having my cast off on Wednesday was meant to be 26th but they got a cancellation and brought it forward so 4 weeks in a cast is almost over!

I have been told by my doctor 4 in 100 will ret-ear but he claims i have youth on my side being only 24 and may be up and walking normally again in about 3-4 months after my cast is removed thats why i was curious in your age.

• Posted

Hi Jordi, I have had 8 weeks of physio and pilates sessions specifically for injuries, and I can walk, I stopped using my crutch today for a while, but for me it's more a case of confidence. I still have a limp and my leg had wasted away and was very thin with no muscle, still can't go downstairs properly, but can walk up and can weight bear on both legs separately, but can't stand on my toes on one leg yet.I do think it's a lot about age but I will get there. and so will you.
    • Posted

Thats another big step done then odette without the crutch. Im hoping tomorrow the doctor will exam my Achillies tomorrow and that will be the end of the cast and into the wedge boot, one step closer to full recovery i am hoping!

I will let you know and everyone else following this discussion how i get on!

• Posted

So i am out of the cast! i have a nice moonboot on now smile. It is very strange walking on my leg today i really didnt like the first few steps as it was stigging. i thought my tendons were ripping but its actually my skin over streching (streching back to normal).

I still have my crutches (for balance) but walking home from the hospital lucky for me its around the corner from my house. (7 min walk) took me about 25 minutes as its rather difficult to get used to walking with the moon boot. I began my walk with my crutches just for balanced incase i fell by the end of the walk i was not even using my crutches to balance. 4 more weeks of this and phyiso begins.

Odette whilst in the boot did you do any extra activies to help strenghen your leg? i been told swimming is a good thing.

• Posted

Hi Jordi, was just trying to think back, I didn't do anything until after 6 weeks the boot came off , and physio kicked in, my leg was so weak and thin I couldn't actually use the boot much I tended to crutch it everywhere, and found it exhausting, but i'm sure swimming would help.
    • Posted

Yes my leg is rather thin as well. I'm walking with my boot without crutches compared to you did not then? the doctor said i should be without crutches maybe we're taking a different recovery process, as i am only meant to have this boot for 4 weeks compared to your 6. As i am walking in my boot, my leg will hopefully strenghen over time as well as swimming.

• Posted

I couldn't walk in my walking boot ironically, it had a rocker foot, and you could only walk on the front of the boot, so I had to use crutches as well. You are much younger so probably your healing may well be quicker, fingers crossed for you!!
    • Posted

I have a boot that i am meant to walk on my heel. Yes maybe this is what the doctor meant by age being on my side. After a weeks progress im walking alot easier leg is getting stronger, my back is killing from the way i am walking but i am getting better.
    • Posted

your back probably aches because you are used to relying on one side for getting about as soon as you start using the 'bad' side all sorts of niggles crop up, any exercises will help to strengthen the weak side. I, too feel I am making progress my leg feels stronger and my stamina has improved,not really using the crutch at all, which for me is quite a big deal. Glad that you are moving on!!
    • Posted

65 years old, 12 weeks after partial rupture, boot and no weight for 5 weeks, crutch support for 5 and into 2nd week of physio and no boot. Confirm the same back pain issues and trying not to limp with the repairing left foot. Going down stairs is the only tricky bit. Tendon feels fine, but the whole foot and heel is painful; the bones ache really badly but slow slow progress .. frustrating!
    • Posted

I am trying to exercise my back muscles at home but still feel a slight pain, i did contact my GP who assured me this is rather normal whilst wearing a protection boot due the the pressure on my good leg.

Good news about not using your crutch, that is a massive improvment already. My leg also feels stronger and i am moving about at a decent pace now. my calf muscle still looks "weak" but i guess that will take time to get back to normal.

• Posted

the calf muscle took me about 4 months to build up, but very useful was the mini cycle that you can spin while sitting in a chair ,they cost about £15 and I still use it every day, it also has different resistances so you can build up your strength. Like tim has said I also find going downstairs tricky, you have to keep standing on your toes
    • Posted

Hi Tim, I find my leg is worse first thing in the morning and last thing at night, I've largely given up the crutch and am trying to walk more fluidly, I also find stairs a challenge but keep working on standing on my toes and flexing my foot. You can massage your foot and use ice packs, that may help.
    • Posted

Hi Tim, I find my leg is worse first thing in the morning and last thing at night, I've largely given up the crutch and am trying to walk more fluidly, I also find stairs a challenge but keep working on standing on my toes and flexing my foot. You can massage your foot and use ice packs, that may help.
    • Posted

Thats good to know.. this forum is great for finding out your symptons are not unique!  Talked to physio yesterday and he recomended massaging the toes and more flexing. I bought a balance board too, but he said i can go back to the gym and play on the bikes a bit. Ice pack too. The swelling is the most uncomfy; I'm normally size 11 and I got a pair of soft velcro fixing ones at size 12, the biggest they stock as standard in the cheap shop.. might have to range a bit further for a pair of clown shoes for xmas!!

• Posted

4 months wow, maybe again youth will be on my side with strengthening my calf muscle back to normal, it all depends on my next visit back to the hospital on the 10th of December. I do hope that is the day my open cast comes off and i am back in normal shoes with physio. (Dont see why else i would have an appointment to return to hospital)

I have an excise bike at home, hopefully i can use that once the open cast is off and I been giving the all clear to use it to help strengthen my calf again.  

I was flexing my calf last night and i can actually start to feel muscle again compared the small wobbling fat that has become my leg!

Progress!

• Posted

3 weeks further and I'm back a the gym every other day, building slowly, and walking a couple of miles on alternate days. Foot bone ache is MUCH improved, but still very little strength in cask and unable to toe lifts. This makes walking a bit limpy so I'm forcing myself to push a little when lifting the bad foot rather than let it limp; this is helping much with the general walking gait i think. Physio tomorrow (24th Dec) then happy Christmas everyone and keep moving forward!
    • Posted

Sounds great Tim, good to know what i will expect when my physio starts in the new year. Interesting in hearing your story.

My boot is off in a couple weeks, leg is getting stronger already even in the boot i see it muscle! I am looking forward to renewing my gym membership next year.

• Posted

My physio has been pretty low key, mainly advice on exercies, and running me through them. Must admit was expecting some heavy duty massage! Ankle rotation and stretching against a bungee in the evenings with foot up I think helped get mobility up, but the calf (not cask!) muscle is surprisingly really weak still, and I think thats going take a long time to get back to normal.. hoping to walk through it

• Posted

I think it's going to take time as well, I can definately see the improvements I have made, but at present I'm walking more and doing physio less , I have kind of plateaud now for a while , waiting for the next breakthrough......meanwhile I hope everyone has a fun christmas!
    • Posted

I tore my achilles in November of 2013, though I didn't know it. I just thought I had tendonitis.  I didn't want to go through all the PT, boot, cast, etc. so I had orthopedic surgeon go in and clean it up. He discovered it was torn, repaired it and said I may be able to play soccer again as early as 6 months out. I was 44 when I tore it.  It has been 15 months since my surgery and I am still not at 100%.  2 weeks post-op, I developed a blood clot. 2 months later, I became anemic (as a result of being on blood thinners)  My ankle still swells and my foot is 1/2 size bigger because my heel protrudes. My calf is still quite tight. I was told by a nurse who used to work for my surgeon that 18 months is typical for recovery.  I was glad to hear her say that because my doctor made is seem like this surgery was simple.  He did not give a lot of info about recovery or even recommend PT. I had to ask about it and ended up stopping before it was over due to the anemia.  Good luck and do PT for sure!

• Posted

Is it true then that if u don't have surgery within a week of tearing your Achilles' tendon then u can't get surgery? What else can be done to help with pain and limping?

• Posted

Tim, how long did the swelling last after you initially ruptured your tendon?  I'm having trouble separating swelling due to the rupture from swelling due to gout that erupted from wearing an immobilization boot.  I didn't have much pain from the rupture, but the boot sent me to the emergency room.  Thanks!

• Posted

I was told by the consultant that conservative treatment is prefered, but if that doesnt work, then the knife is still an option
    • Posted

To be honest the foot is still slightly swolen, 2 years down the line. I've gone up a size in shoe. Walking is not a problem, though I still have some loss of feeling in the ball of the foot due to nerve damage? I did a 12 mile charity walk a couple of weeks ago, so its not that debiltating!

• Posted

Sorry, crossed threads... I was told by the consultant that conservative treatment is prefered, but if that doesnt work, then the knife is still an option

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.